Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2012

Kylie

More books in the mail today! My box was stuffed full of parcels. :D

Sylvia Beach Shakespeare & Company

Norton Juster The Dot & the Line

LM Montgomery Emily of New Moon (I blame Frankie!)

Vladimir Nabokov The Stories of Vladimir Nabokov (all of his short stories, woohoo!)

Virginia Nicholson Among the Bohemians (yes, Poppyshake, this is your doing!)

Happy Kylie -> :D

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More books in the mail today! My box was stuffed full of parcels. :D

I can see why you're a very happy Kylie :smile:

Sylvia Beach Shakespeare & Company

I sooooooooo want :smile:

Norton Juster The Dot & the Line

LM Montgomery Emily of New Moon (I blame Frankie!)

Got to look them up :D

Vladimir Nabokov The Stories of Vladimir Nabokov (all of his short stories, woohoo!)

Ooh yes!

Virginia Nicholson Among the Bohemians (yes, Poppyshake, this is your doing!)

Sowwy Kylie :giggle: but really, I am only getting my own back :giggle2:

Sowwy Kylie :giggle: but really, I am only getting my own back :giggle2:

I'll reply properly to your posts later, Frankie and Poppyshake, but I just have to reply to the above bit now because, Poppyshake, Among the Bohemians isn't the only book you've been responsible for me buying lately! Check out today's little haul:

Patrick DeWitt: The Sisters Brothers

Patrick Ness: A Monster Calls (actually, I already had this on my wish list before you mentioned it, so you can't take the blame/credit for this one ;))

Virginia Woolf: Flush

Patrick DeWitt: The Sisters Brothers

Patrick Ness: A Monster Calls (actually, I already had this on my wish list before you mentioned it, so you can't take the blame/credit for this one ;))

Virginia Woolf: Flush

Well two of them I know are fantastic and I'm sure the other one is too. What great taste you have :D I hope I'm not encouraging you to break your budget Kylie .. (lol .. I wrote budgie :D) frankie will be mad otherwise :hide:

I'm glad I don't have a budgie, or I'd be fearing for it's safety right about now!

Frankie likes you too much to be mad at you. :) I think she is probably torn when I buy books, because she's happy for me and likes to know what I buy but doesn't want me to spend too much. ;)

I've already started reading A Monster Calls. It's reasonably good so far, and the artwork is terrific. :)

I received the last of my ordered books today (of course it was the main one I wanted to buy!): Franz Kafka's Letters to Friends, Family and Editors. Kafka, letters and editors: this book has it all! :)

I received the last of my ordered books today (of course it was the main one I wanted to buy!): Franz Kafka's Letters to Friends, Family and Editors. Kafka, letters and editors: this book has it all! :)

Here we go again .. you're topping up my wishlist as usual :D

So...the twice-yearly book fair is on in Canberra this weekend. And I'm staying home. :( I'm trying not to think about it but I'll miss the experience. It'll be the first one I've missed since I first found out about them several years ago. :( I'll just keep reminding myself that if I had gone I would have spent several hundred dollars and added another 100+ books to my TBR pile. See how strong I'm being? I don't reckon I'll be missing the September fair though. ;)

Just to rub salt into the wound, my own mother has gone down there without me! She's not really rubbing it in though. In fact, she has been very careful not to mention it to me until the last possible minute (I wasn't even aware it was on until a couple of weeks ago!)

*sigh*

Oh Kylie, well done for having the willpower to miss it this time around. What you need to do is go and sit in front of your bookshelves for 30 minutes and just look at all the lovely books you have given a good home to, and all the pleasure you have already had from them and will continue to have, both by reading them and cataloguing them. Then think of those hundreds of dollars you've saved yourself, and think what that money can go towards :smile2:

• 2 weeks later...

Ha ha, I noticed you weren't too many pages from the end , thats why I asked. Got lots of books on the go at the same time I assume?

I had a few on the go, yes. :) I've finished a couple now, but I just can't seem to settle into Catch-22. I still love it to be bits; I guess I'm just savouring it by reading a few pages at a time. I've now started reading The Virgin Suicides.

in other book news, I've purchased/received a few books recently. The first two are books of poetry by Bukowski, the third is a young adult book that I bought for the cover (only realised later that it was the start of a series) and I received Sookie Stackhouse #11 in the mail, which has finally been published in mass market paperback.

Charles Bukowski The Continual Condition

Charles Bukowski The People Look Like Flowers at Last

Maryrose Wood The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #1: The Mysterious Howling

Charlaine Harris Dead Reckoning

I've been in two minds about pre-ordering Jeffrey Eugenides' The Marriage Plot (in the format I want/need), because I'm trying to cut back on buying books. I finally talked myself out of it but then noticed that I left a gap for it on my shelf when I recently rearranged my books, so I just had to order it. :)

I've also decided to give all of my Janet Evanovich and Alexander McCall Smith books to my Mum. I've read the first 9 books in the Stephanie Plum series and only 2-3 of the #1 Ladies' Detective Agency. While I enjoy both series, the Plum novels are rather samey, and I just can't really be bothered continuing on with the various Smith series. This means I can reduce my TBR pile by 16 books. :D

I took some old books to a secondhand shop today and bought:

Neil Gaiman Smoke and Mirrors

Kerry Greenwood Phryne Fisher #1: Cocaine Blues

Kerry Greenwood Phryne Fisher #9: Raisins and Almonds

Kerry Greenwood Phryne Fisher #11: Away with the Fairies

Kerry Greenwood Phryne Fisher #16: Murder in the Dark

Kerry Greenwood Phryne Fisher #17: Murder on a Midsummer Night

Norman Lindsay Bohemians at The Bulletin

Richard Yates Liars in Love

:)

Haha, now you've acquired more books this year than me :P

For now! Well, I've acquired a few more in the last couple of days.

John Carey (ed) The Faber Book of Utopias

Lian Hearn Across the Nightingale Floor

Joseph Heller Portrait of an Artist, as an Old Man

Lauren Liebenberg The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter and Jam

Judith Lucy The Lucy Family Alphabet

Peter Carey Parrot and Olivier in America

Stella Gibbons Starlight

Erich Segal Love Story

John Kennedy Toole The Neon Bible

For now! Well, I've acquired a few more in the last couple of days.

For now and for the rest of the year, I assure you! :P

John Carey (ed) The Faber Book of Utopias

Lian Hearn Across the Nightingale Floor

Joseph Heller Portrait of an Artist, as an Old Man

Lauren Liebenberg The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter and Jam

Judith Lucy The Lucy Family Alphabet

Peter Carey Parrot and Olivier in America

Stella Gibbons Starlight

Erich Segal Love Story

John Kennedy Toole The Neon Bible

I suppose the selection above is non-fiction and the latter fiction? I've not heard of any of the non-fiction books :blush: Kudos on getting Heller though, I know how much you love his Catch-22 :smile2:

Moving on to fiction. I'm hella jealous of the Peter Carey book and you know it :D Now you finally have the two FTBC books they discussed when we were there!! :smile2: I was actually browsing on BD the other day, looking at different editions of the novel. Which cover did you pick? I'm torn. I kind of like all of them, although some more than others.

Wohoo for Love Story! :lol: I just hope you like it, at least half as much as I did. I know I've been a sort of a spokesperson for Segal lately and I'm getting nervous other people will not like his books and then they'll hate me :blush:

And wohoo for The Neon Bible :lol: It's a great and quick read, you could read it in no time ;) Are you gonna? Like, now? Today perhaps? By the end of Friday, surely? *pestering Kylie*

Wohoo for Love Story and The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter & Jam because I thought they were both great :smile: Wohoo for all the rest because they are books and who knows what's in store for you :D

Wohoo for Love Story and The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter & Jam because I thought they were both great :smile: Wohoo for all the rest because they are books and who knows what's in store for you :D

You've read Love Story? How did I miss that?!

You've read Love Story? How did I miss that?!

You'd probably lost the will to live after reading the first few squillion 'war & peace' reviews on my blog. I read it in February .. of course :wub: and thought it was fab. Review here :smile:

You'd probably lost the will to live after reading the first few squillion 'war & peace' reviews on my blog. I read it in February .. of course :wub: and thought it was fab. Review here :smile:

I've been generally lousy at reading through people's reading blogs lately, I think that's why. Don't think I've singled you out to ignore you, please! :blush::lol: I'm going to make amends during Easter break though, since I have many days to spend however I like :smile2:

For now and for the rest of the year, I assure you!

I'm definitely well ahead of you now. :( I bought loads of books while I was away, and right before and after I went away.

I suppose the selection above is non-fiction and the latter fiction? I've not heard of any of the non-fiction books :blush: Kudos on getting Heller though, I know how much you love his Catch-22

No, I bought the first lot on one day and the second lot on another day. I thought about combining them but wanted to keep them separate so I could show though (although I didn't mention it) that the second lot was heavily influenced by you. ;)

Yep, I was very happy to find that one by Heller. I don't think I've seen it in a bookshop before, either new or secondhand.

Moving on to fiction. I'm hella jealous of the Peter Carey book and you know it Now you finally have the two FTBC books they discussed when we were there!! I was actually browsing on BD the other day, looking at different editions of the novel. Which cover did you pick? I'm torn. I kind of like all of them, although some more than others.

I was glad to find it. It looks brand new but was really cheap! I was hoping a certain ex-friend would lend me the book when he was done, considering he hated it, but he never did so I finally bought my own. I'm glad you asked about the edition because I really love the cover of the one I bought. Do you like it? Or is it too cartoonish?

Wohoo for Love Story! I just hope you like it, at least half as much as I did. I know I've been a sort of a spokesperson for Segal lately and I'm getting nervous other people will not like his books and then they'll hate me

And wohoo for The Neon Bible It's a great and quick read, you could read it in no time Are you gonna? Like, now? Today perhaps? By the end of Friday, surely? *pestering Kylie*

I knew you'd be glad about these. :) I'm sure I'll like/love them both. I'm surprised at how short TNB is! I'll try to get to it soon, but I can make no promises. :(

Wohoo for Love Story and The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter & Jam because I thought they were both great :smile: Wohoo for all the rest because they are books and who knows what's in store for you

Thanks! I bought TVDPBJ because of you. I was pretty sure you'd liked it. :)

I'm definitely well ahead of you now. I bought loads of books while I was away, and right before and after I went away.

Awwww :empathy: Don't feel bad, Kylie, I bought 6 books as well, last Thursday *ashamed* (Well, seven novels, one was an omnibus ... ) Let's give ourselves a wee break from the guilt, shall we? :giggle2: There, there :empathy: I've missed you loads. I didn't even know you were going away and I felt very bad about it.

Can I ask if you would like to tell us which books you bought while you were away and when you came back? Please? :)

No, I bought the first lot on one day and the second lot on another day. I thought about combining them but wanted to keep them separate so I could show though (although I didn't mention it) that the second lot was heavily influenced by you.

Ah, so that was the reasoning behind it. You could've (well, and you did!) fooled me =D Ah, how I love to be an influence :giggle:

Yep, I was very happy to find that one by Heller. I don't think I've seen it in a bookshop before, either new or secondhand.

I bet you felt rather ecstatic =) And I'm sure if you'd seen it before in a secondhand bookshop, you would've already bought it.

Heller came up yesterday when I was reading a book called Fates Worse than Death. It's by Kurt Vonnegut, and it's a collection of essays and speeches etc. Vonnegut's mentioned Norman Mailer and Heller etc quite a few times, and I started thinking I should really read Catch-22. I wish I could remember what exactly he said about it. It's a very pleasant and easy reading. I of course thought about you every time Heller was mentioned =)

I was glad to find it. It looks brand new but was really cheap! I was hoping a certain ex-friend would lend me the book when he was done, considering he hated it, but he never did so I finally bought my own. I'm glad you asked about the edition because I really love the cover of the one I bought. Do you like it? Or is it too cartoonish?

Ah yes, I remember a certain scene between said person and Marieke Hardy, and that's where I learned the meaning of the word 'heckle'. :rolleyes:

I feel very weird about the covers now. The last time I said I loved just about all of them. And now that I went back to look at them on BD, I don't like any of them. Or rather, all of them have a certain something I like, but none of them are 'just the one' I'd buy. Which makes me think that they are out of the edition I'm after. I suppose it must be the one that was featured in the show, if there was one? But I can't even remember what it was like.

To be perfectly honest, the cover of your copy is a bit too cartoonish. But look at this one. Why would they place that envelope there? That's rude! And this one. I mean the guy is walking out of the cover! Couldn't he have waited for just one more second? I have to look up other booksites to see if they have the kind of cover I'd want.

I knew you'd be glad about these. I'm sure I'll like/love them both. I'm surprised at how short TNB is! I'll try to get to it soon, but I can make no promises.

Of course you knew, you know everything :D I know, TNB is freakishly short isn't it. I still can't believe he was only in his teens when he wrote the book.

Don't worry about it, you read your books whenever it suits your schedule :friends3: It's good to have you back!!

Edited by frankie

I bought a fair few books while I was away (including lots of Vintage Classics! I've put a * next to the books that aren't Vintage).

Martin Amis The Old Devils

Honore de Balzac Eugenie Grandit

*Julian Barnes The Sense of an Ending

*Elizabeth Barrett Browning Sonnets from the Portugese

Mikhail Bulgakov Diaboliad

*David Crystal A Little Book of Language

Charles Dickens Martin Chuzzlewit

Fyodor Dostoyevsky The Brothers Karamazov

Arthur Conan Doyle The Lost World

William Faulkner Sanctuary

F Scott Fitzgerald Tender is the Night (replacement)

Vasily Grossman Life and Fate

Henry James The Turn of the Screw

W Somerset Maugham Collected Short Stories Volume 4

Nancy Mitford Frederick the Great

Nancy Mitford The Sun King

Nancy Mitford Voltaire in Love

*Haruki Murakami A Wild Sheep Chase (replacement)

*Haruki Murakami Sputnik Sweetheart

John O'Hara Appointment in Samarra

Edgar Allan Poe The Murders in the Rue Morgue

*Terry Pratchett Strata

*Jonathan Stroud Bartimaeus #4: The Ring of Solomon (replacement)

Andy Warhol A: A Novel

*Sarah Waters Tipping the Velvet

I went over to my parents' place last night and borrowed a book from Mum called The Sweet Poison Quit Plan: How to Kick the Sugar Habit and Lose Weight. Of course I borrowed it right after Easter, so I won't be starting my attempt to kick my sugar addiction (and I totally believe it is an addiction) for a couple of days yet. I just asked Mum if she could get me a copy (she bought it from work), but she admitted she probably would never read it anyway, so it is now my book. :)

Edited by Kylie

I love Vintage editions, lucky you! :smile2:

Honore de Balzac Eugenie Grandit

Trying to remember if this novel was mentioned in Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress...

*Julian Barnes The Sense of an Ending

What a curious coincidence. When I searched for different covers of P&O on google, this book came up and I thought the cover was beautiful!

*Elizabeth Barrett Browning Sonnets from the Portugese

Wohoo! Although I thought you owned a copy already :)

Mikhail Bulgakov Diaboliad

M&M is the only novel by Bulgakov that I know of, it's weird to hear about his other novels...

*David Crystal A Little Book of Language

Book on languages, always good stuff :)

Charles Dickens Martin Chuzzlewit

Wohoo for Dickens!

Fyodor Dostoyevsky The Brothers Karamazov

Wohoo for Dostoyevsky!

Arthur Conan Doyle The Lost World

This is not a Holmes novel... is it? The titles suggests it's not, but I never knew he wrote other novels.

William Faulkner Sanctuary

I knew about this one because I saw you add it to your goodreads account :) (Well I must've seen the other titles, too, but this one stuck in my mind.)

F Scott Fitzgerald Tender is the Night (replacement)

Wohoo for Fitzgerald!

Vasily Grossman Life and Fate

The name of the author rings a (very distant) bell. A 1001 Books -book?

Henry James The Turn of the Screw

Wohoo for another classic!

W Somerset Maugham Collected Short Stories Volume 4

Are you a fan of Maugham?

Nancy Mitford Frederick the Great

Nancy Mitford The Sun King

Nancy Mitford Voltaire in Love

Wow, look at all the Mitfords :D I bet poppyshake's going to be pleased :D

*Haruki Murakami A Wild Sheep Chase (replacement)

Awesome! :smile2:

*Haruki Murakami Sputnik Sweetheart

Haa! I also acquired a copy of this, last Thursday :D

Edgar Allan Poe The Murders in the Rue Morgue

Spooky :)

*Terry Pratchett Strata

Wohoo for more Pratchett!

Andy Warhol A: A Novel

Hella jealous!!!!!

*Sarah Waters Tipping the Velvet

Wohoo for Waters :) I was just talking about her books last Saturday and it reminded me of how I desperately need to read her books.