Poppy's Paperbacks 2012

poppyshake

Men!! :roll2: :roll2: what are you like? I've always thought those films had a terrible reputation .. for being rubbish I mean. I guess you weren't judging the acting though :D Lol, I haven't seen them but I do like Ms Beckinsale .. she's not in the Winslets league (acting wise) but she is lovely and I liked her very much in Serendipity. I didn't like her as Emma though .. she looked sick and cross through the whole thing .. but I think it was the script .. more or less everybody looked sick and cross in it.

The thing about that version of Emma is that it looks so dated. And somehow, I don't think period dramas should look dated - after all Emma was set 200 odd years ago! Also, what was going on with Mr Knightley's hair??? I was distracted by it every time he appeared on screen.

I quite liked the Gwyneth Paltrow version, but by far my favourite is the one with Romola Garai and Jonny Lee Miller. There's also quite a good version from 1972 with Doran Goodwin as Emma. It also looks dated, and it's quite obvious in some parts that it was mainly filmed in a studio, but it's very faithful to the book, both in story and spirit.

Sorry; I've gone off at a tangent there :blush2:

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She was acting? :o I quite enjoyed the first movie, the others were pretty meh. And please don't mention Winslet in the same sentence - can't stand her!

well I agree, she is a bit of a luvvie but she's our best actress .. in Hollywood anyway .. that's why she gets all the cream and the others are left playing waitresses and .. vampires :D Keira can't act imo .. or has a wooden style anyway and it's perhaps too soon to judge Carey .. but I do like her a lot.

Lol, poor Celine :D

The thing about that version of Emma is that it looks so dated. And somehow, I don't think period dramas should look dated - after all Emma was set 200 odd years ago! Also, what was going on with Mr Knightley's hair??? I was distracted by it every time he appeared on screen.

I quite liked the Gwyneth Paltrow version, but by far my favourite is the one with Romola Garai and Jonny Lee Miller. There's also quite a good version from 1972 with Doran Goodwin as Emma. It also looks dated, and it's quite obvious in some parts that it was mainly filmed in a studio, but it's very faithful to the book, both in story and spirit.

Sorry; I've gone off at a tangent there :blush2:

Yes, I normally like Mark Strong but I didn't like him in that .. I didn't really like anyone in it though Samantha Morton was good as Harriet if I remember rightly. Gwynnie's version was ok ... but I thought Toni Colette wasn't at all right for Harriet .. and again she's someone I love normally. I'm not sure Juliet Stevenson was right for Mrs Elton either .. it was gorgeous to look at though.

I do like the old one though like you say it's very dated ... but it had the absolute best Harriet Smith, Mrs Elton and Miss Bates in it .. all excellent and Doran was good too .. a bit prim and proper but probably exactly what Jane Austen had in mind. Also Mr Knightley actually looked as if he was sixteen years older than Emma .. which they don't even usually try to get right.

Some of the old one's are funny, the costumes in the old Persuasion were just hilarious .. poor Anne might have been past her bloom but was there any real need to put her in that hideous green check gown. It was filmed in the seventies and you can just tell from looking at the fabrics.

I haven't seen the more modern version, I'm not sure why, it passed me by somehow. I will have to rent it or something :smile: Thanks for the recommendation Ruth :smile:

Ah it wasn't all bad - I don't sleep very well so it wasn't as much of a problem for me as it was some others (judging by the scowling faces on show!). Haha, you're right on the alcohol front, I'm sure I could gather some pretty damning photographic evidence of that (though not of me, of course! :D). Ah, you know I didn't mean it like that! I meant because it's so entertaining and makes for good reading! :friends0: I have indeed managed to fly (creepy bats at windows anyone? :D) threw it today and it certainly picked up pace (I've got about 80 pages left). Indeed, Renfield was one of my favourites, although he is pretty gruesome! :lol: Aha, you do crack me up!

I sleep badly too, it's a right pain isn't it? .. though I get lot's of extra reading done in the middle of the night but still I would like to be one of those people that see a pillow and zonk out. I'm glad you're getting on well with Dracula again Ben (just don't go out for a drink with him will you? ;)) .. I expect the last eighty pages will fly by .. they were almost turning themselves for me, I was that anxious to get to the end to find out what happened .. especially to Mina. Then of course I was sorry to have finished it. My TBR's are going to look funny now without the old Count propping them all up .. I'm so used to seeing him there.

Ahh I think you'll like this - it's one of my all-time favourites! Enjoy! :D

Well that's encouraging .. thanks Ben :friends0:

Frankenstein is a great book :smile:

Again, thanks Steve :smile: I do know a little bit more about it than I did Dracula because I have heard it read .. but it was abridged so only half a story really.

I have always wanted to read Frankenstein too, another one that I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on :)

Thanks Laura :smile:I have a feeling I will love it :smile:

Touching on Frankenstein .. which copy shall I read? .. the 1818 text or the 1831?

Today and yesterday I received book presents through the post :wub: There aren't many things that can cheer me up on a cold February day but book presents are definitely top of my favourite things (I do very much like raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens too ... but I don't particularly like copper kettles or doorbells .. unless it's the postman bringing books :smile:)

Anyhow I must have been a very good girl because TWO parcels were sent by TWO very special ladies and I must say a big THANK YOU to them for being so kind and deliberately setting out to cheer me up and make me smile.

The lovely Miss Kylie sent me Among the Bohemians and the wonderful Miss frankie sent The Library at Night .. both of which I have been pining away for and licking whenever I go into Waterstones. Thank you so much girls :friends0:

twobookprez.jpg

Now I didn't cut them up already to make hearts you'll be glad to hear. I cut up a very old and tired out copy of Pride & Prejudice because it's one of the most romantic books ever. Some might consider this book abuse but I saw it done at Richard Booth's bookshop in Hay-on-Wye last year and no-one reveres books more than they do. Besides, if I'm being honest, I do love my books in a similar way to how I loved my teddy as a child .. in that they don't always end up with eyes and ears etc .. I hasten to add however that these books will be very well looked after.

I'm looking forward to reading them very much :friends0: thank you frankie xx thank you Kylie xx :friends0:

You're very welcome! I love seeing your photos - you always set them up so nicely. :)

I thought you must have bought those hearts because I've seen similar things for sale online - but no, you're just talented enough to make them yourself! And now you're giving me ideas to make my own...:)

I'm glad you have your own copies to lick now. Maybe Waterstones will finally be able to sell them now that they won't be getting licked anymore. ;)

I've added Among the Bohemians to my wishlist. It sounds fascinating! I can't wait to hear your thoughts (I don't expect you to read it straight away, of course).

It sounds like such a great book ... they both do and I will read them both this year .. only I can't guarantee when :D

The hearts are easy peasy to make .. as long as you've got a book you don't mind destroying (actually I did wonder what would happen if I gave what's left of the book to the charity shop ... the poor person reading it would get a very odd abridged story .. I made sure I cut out all the good bits :D)

lovestory.jpg

Love Story - Erich Segal

Waterstones Synopsis: He is Oliver Barrett IV, a rich jock from a stuffy Wasp family on his way to a Harvard degree and a career in law. She is Jenny Cavilleri, a wisecracking working-class beauty studying music at Radcliffe. They are opposites in nearly every way. But they fell in love. This is their story.

Review: 'Love means never having to say you're sorry' - so I'm going to stop apologising for my rubbish reviews :D

It's February so I thought I would indulge in some romance and it doesn't get much more romantic than this. Nearly everyone has seen the film and knows that it cannot be watched without the accompanying massive box of tissues (there are other films which apparently require the same .. but we won't talk about them here :D)

I love the film but had never read the book and was pleasantly surprised by it. Not that it differs much from the film, but that's probably why I liked it. It wasn't another Breakfast at Tiffany's experience anyhow (and I'm not saying that either book or film was rubbish .. just that they were poles apart.)

Of course I had the lovely Ryan O'Neal and gorgeous Ali MacGraw in my head the whole time .. they were just perfect as the interminably bickering and sarcastic Oliver and Jenny. The story is a simple one, boy meets girl .. they're not at all compatible but somehow they're attracted .. boys parents object and withdraw their financial support ... boy and girl marry anyway and live off scraps .. boy studies hard, passes exams and gets a good job .. they no longer have to live like paupers .. and then ... and then :cry2:

I could probably watch it and read it a thousand times and still sob like a child at the end of it .. you know it's coming but you just can't help it. Just the first few bars of the theme tune is enough.

It's a short book, just a novella really, so reading it took no time at all .. recovering from it took longer ... it took a cup of hot chocolate and three biscuits to make me feel that I could face such a cruel world again :D

8/10

ryanandali.jpg

Fantastic review Poppy. I too loved Dracula, although I thought the middle quarter dragged terribly and the ending was a little disappointing. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on Frankenstein. (I hated it!)

I've learnt to accept most things after seeing Daphne in Neighbours give birth without taking her tights off.

10/10

Love that :lol:

Great review of Dracula, Poppy. I don't necessarily agree with you, but great review nonetheless :smile: I think I'm one of the few people who though the book was a huge disappointment.

Frankenstein is a great book :smile:

Karsa, I can' believe you didn't like Dracula but liked Frankenstein :o:lol:

Edited by ~Andrea~

Karsa, I can' believe you didn't like Dracula but liked Frankenstein :o:lol:

:P:lol:

I can't believe you thought the middle of Dracula dragged (it did) and the end was a disappointment (it was) and yet you still loved it :lol:

Fantastic review Poppy. I too loved Dracula, although I thought the middle quarter dragged terribly and the ending was a little disappointing. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on Frankenstein. (I hated it!)

Thanks Andrea :smile: I think I'll like Frankenstein .. because I already know parts of it but I don't think I'll enjoy it as much as Dracula .. we'll see anyway :D I've decided to go with Mary Shelleys original text first.

Thing is, I liked the start of the book a lot, too. But once it got to England I got bored. Way too much soul-searching and hand-wringing for my liking.

I was initially reluctant to leave Jonathan in the castle .. I wanted to know more and at first Lucy annoyed me a bit .. all that listless lying about and the others being so dim about it but then I thought she improved immeasurably when she became

the undead :D

I quite like long drawn out books ... Moby Dick for instance .. in the middle of it you get a long, drawn out cetology of Whales .. categorised in species, size, habits, bone structure, mothers name, fathers occupation :D etc etc .. some people hate it but I loved it. I go to the Isle of Wight a lot so seafaring is in my blood :D

Valentines Day :wub:

valentines2012.jpg

valentines2012a.jpg

Alan bought me Susan Hill's The Woman in Black .. I already have it but this is the gorgeous edition that matches my copy of The Small Hand :smile: Also he bought me two new Penguin Deluxe's ... Candide by Voltaire which I'm really looking forward to and Black Beauty by Anna Sewell which is not only a Penguin Deluxe but also one of their 'Threads' series with an embroidered cover pic .. very beautiful. He likes to go out on a limb a bit (this led to a Steven Erikson before so bit worrying :D) and he bought me a lovely book called The Thorn & the Blossom which is two stories in one ..the book concertinas out and you have Evelyn's story on one side and then you turn it round for Brendan's version (I'm sure his will be all lies ;)) It's a love story and I think one of the things that drew Alan to it is that in the blurb it says 'When Evelyn Morgan walked into the village bookstore, she didn't know she would meet the love of her life ... '. Anyhow I'm pretty sure there are no drones or spores in it and I love it anyway because he chose it. He also bought me the hanging bird heart because I have a thing for hearts and birds and a lovely new bookmark in a vain attempt to stop me from using bus tickets and old sweet wrappers. The chocolate bunnies were his but I borrowed them for the sake of the photo and he bought me the tealights at Christmas.

Also yesterday he gave me a £10 Waterstones voucher because he had collected ten stamps and I bought George Orwell's The Road to Wigan Pier .. I sat in a chair at Waterstones reading the first few pages and loved it, can't wait to read the rest.

awww that's so sweet! I too have a thing for love hearts! hehe. I don't know what it is about them, but I have them on bracelets, necklaces, keychains, picture frames and even a pen! I would love to find a bookmark with one, might make one myself actually.

I even asked a friend if I could take three of the paper love hearts she had scattered around at her engagement party hehe.

I also love the idea of the The Thorn & the Blossom, how they made it flip and so. I wish I could find books like that.

Edited by Devi

Poppy

Beautiful gifts you received ! Can you tell me what the bookmark says ? I can see part of it but not the 2 middle lines . Now I can see why the single ladies in here always want to know if you have any available brother-in-laws . :)

I quite like long drawn out books ... Moby Dick for instance .. in the middle of it you get a long, drawn out cetology of Whales .. categorised in species, size, habits, bone structure, mothers name, fathers occupation :D etc etc .. some people hate it but I loved it. I go to the Isle of Wight a lot so seafaring is in my blood :D

You liked Moby Dick and Dracula? There's no hope :giggle2:;)

They were both books I thought I'd love, and I ended up not liking either of them. Too high expectations, perhaps? It's sometimes the way, I think.

Well, *I* can't believe you didn't love Dracula, Karsa! :P

Ooh, you lucky girl, Poppyshake...again! The books look lovely, but I must admit that our opinions on Black Beauty are rather different. Not quite MB different, but getting there. I really disliked BB. :lurker:

Edited by Kylie

Also yesterday he gave me a £10 Waterstones voucher because he had collected ten stamps and I bought George Orwell's The Road to Wigan Pier .. I sat in a chair at Waterstones reading the first few pages and loved it, can't wait to read the rest.

I read the majority of Wigan Pier one year on holiday when I found it on the shelves of the cottage we were staying in. Excellent book, but I really need to go back and finish it one day

awww that's so sweet! I too have a thing for love hearts! hehe. I don't know what it is about them, but I have them on bracelets, necklaces, keychains, picture frames and even a pen! I would love to find a bookmark with one, might make one myself actually.

I even asked a friend if I could take three of the paper love hearts she had scattered around at her engagement party hehe.

:D Nearly everything here has a heart on it .. I have bracelets and necklaces too and earrings, cups, plates, tins, a teapot and clothes. I've got a big jar filled with hearts (fabric ones the sort that have a little hanging loop.) When we first moved here my niece came to visit and was unsure of the number .. she said she knew it was my house because it had a heart hanging in the front window :D I can imagine getting up one day and suddenly saying 'I don't like hearts anymore .. they've all got to go' .. the house would have nothing in it :D

I also love the idea of the The Thorn & the Blossom, how they made it flip and so. I wish I could find books like that.

I think they were promoting it on a stand at Waterstones .. where they had put all their lovey-dovey things :smile:

So sweet poppyshake..... :D :D :D

That's so lovely Poppyshake, he must love you very much and you must so deserve it :friends0:

Thanks girls :smile: I'm just lucky that's all. I don't deserve it more than anyone else .. and probably a lot less than most.

Poppy

Beautiful gifts you received ! Can you tell me what the bookmark says ? I can see part of it but not the 2 middle lines . Now I can see why the single ladies in here always want to know if you have any available brother-in-laws . :)

Thanks Julie :smile: The one available brother-in-law I've told you about already .. and he definitely wasn't cut from the same cloth. The only thing he would give to his loved one on Valentines Day is grief :(

Soppy Alert : The bookmark says .. 'If you live to be a hundred I want to be a hundred minus one day so I would never live a day without you' :wub:

I think he's worried he might have to make his own toast :D

You liked Moby Dick and Dracula? There's no hope :giggle2:;)

They were both books I thought I'd love, and I ended up not liking either of them. Too high expectations, perhaps? It's sometimes the way, I think.

It's often the case isn't it. I didn't like Anna Karenina all that much and I thought I would, as for Madame B (I'm not using her full name .. my fingers won't type it anymore :D) ... I threw it across the room :o

Ooh, you lucky girl, Poppyshake...again! The books look lovely, but I must admit that our opinions on Black Beauty are rather different. Not quite MB different, but getting there. I really disliked BB. :lurker:

I haven't read it Kylie but it's on the lists and I might as well read a beautiful copy. I didn't read it as a child .. horses frightened me so I think I avoided it :D I didn't know it was written from the horses perspective though ... probably everyone in the world knew that but I've only just found out :D

I read the majority of Wigan Pier one year on holiday when I found it on the shelves of the cottage we were staying in. Excellent book, but I really need to go back and finish it one day

I do love holiday cottage bookshelves although I get a bit cross that they usually haven't bothered much ... just remnants of what other people have left behind usually. I always think about how I would do it better. I read We Need to Talk about Kevin because it was on a cottage bookshelf and I had finished my own book. I would never normally read that kind of book at all because I get freaked out easily but I couldn't put it down.

If the rest of Wigan Pier is anything like the beginning then I'm in for a treat. All the stuff about the boarding house is just pure gold .. my favourite line so far is .. 'On the day when there was a full chamber-pot under the breakfast table, I decided to leave' :D