Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2012

Kylie

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh god :D What a nasty Freudian!!

Damn! That's what I thought when I saw it. :giggle2:

Yeah, I thought there might have been a 4-day turnaround before. It still blows my mind, though.

Oh. Right. Yes. Yes, that's what I would've been, most definitely.

:o For once you don't talk back. Good lad! *pats head*

Yeah, I thought there might have been a 4-day turnaround before. It still blows my mind, though.

Yep, still a fast delivery! Although what blows my mind more is how they take four days to deliver to Finland, as well. We're practically neighbors :banghead:

No worries, VF. That's why I bought it - I'm so curious to know all about it, and it's from her point of view, as well!

I recently read a book from the Gilmore Girls Challenge list, called Rescuing Patty Hearst. I was under the impression it was indirectly related to Patty Hearst. I thought it was a story about her mother or something. But it wasn't remotely connected to the Hearst family. The author just liked to compare herself to Patty Hearst, even though their stories weren't remotely similar. I was obviously disappointed, so I've tracked down the real McCoy now.

:o For once you don't talk back. Good lad! *pats head*

Actually, I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm (which, as well know, is the lowest form of wit :P).

Yep, still a fast delivery! Although what blows my mind more is how they take four days to deliver to Finland, as well. We're practically neighbors :banghead:

There is just no pleasing some people! :P

Actually, I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm (which, as well know, is the lowest form of wit :P).

We Finns say often that sarcasm is a difficult subgenre of humour. I don't think Steve could pull it off.

:giggle:

There is just no pleasing some people! :P

How would you like it if you lived over here and got your packages just as quickly/slowly as your Aussie friends.

We Finns say often that sarcasm is a difficult subgenre of humour. I don't think Steve could pull it off.

I don't want to pull anything off, it's fine with where it is, thanks! :giggle2:

Nah, I can't pull sarcasm off. Apparently :lol:

Personally, I love sarcasm and think it's a great form of wit, but don't tell Steve that.

But you're looking it all wrong, Frankie! The post still has to travel over an ocean and maybe a few countries (yes, my geography is lousy) to get to you. Four days is really nothing! It's not a competition between Oz and Finland. :P You should be happy for us! We're pretty isolated down here. :(

By the way, I saw your Finnish presenter giving the scores on Eurovision last night... :rolleyes: Is he from the band that won a few years ago? Or wait...did they win?

I don't want to pull anything off, it's fine with where it is, thanks! :giggle2:

:o You are nasty!!!

Personally, I love sarcasm and think it's a great form of wit, but don't tell Steve that.

You just did yourself... You should've written that in a PM!

But you're looking it all wrong, Frankie! The post still has to travel over an ocean and maybe a few countries (yes, my geography is lousy) to get to you. Four days is really nothing! It's not a competition between Oz and Finland. :P You should be happy for us! We're pretty isolated down here. :(

Are we not isolated over here in Finland? Nobody ever comes my way :( And I'm not saying it's a competition, but one would think they would look into geography a bit more!

By the way, I saw your Finnish presenter giving the scores on Eurovision last night... :rolleyes: Is he from the band that won a few years ago? Or wait...did they win?

I didn't watch the Eurovision contest so I wouldn't know. I'll have to google. Yes we won in 2006. Legendary!

Edit: Yes apparently that was Mr Lordi from the band. Why do you roll your eyes!!

You just did yourself... You should've written that in a PM!

I know. ;) You're taking everything very literally today!

Are we not isolated over here in Finland? Nobody ever comes my way :( And I'm not saying it's a competition, but one would think they would look into geography a bit more!

LOL. No, you're not! You've got countries, not to mention all of Europe, all around you! NZ are our closest neighbours, but the bulk of the world is quite far away. I'm talking about isolation in terms of geography.

Edit: Yes apparently that was Mr Lordi from the band. Why do you roll your eyes!!

Because all the other presenters were so nicely dressed and so well spoken and then...He made corny jokes and went on for longer than the other presenters. No one was laughing at his jokes and it was all just a bit silly. Our presenters didn't think very much of him.

I know. ;) You're taking everything very literally today!

I blame Orlong.

LOL. No, you're not! You've got countries, not to mention all of Europe, all around you! NZ are our closest neighbours, but the bulk of the world is quite far away. I'm talking about isolation in terms of geography.

But I'm talking isolation in all terms together. And now that Russia won the hockey worldchampionship and Sweden won the Eurovision song contest, nobody will remember the land in between :(

Because all the other presenters were so nicely dressed and so well spoken and then...He made corny jokes and went on for longer than the other presenters. No one was laughing at his jokes and it was all just a bit silly. Our presenters didn't think very much of him.

Why do everyone have to be nicely dressed and well spoken? People should have fun and live a little. Get the sticks off their bums.

But I'm talking isolation in all terms together. And now that Russia won the hockey worldchampionship and Sweden won the Eurovision song contest, nobody will remember the land in between :(

But I'm only talking geographically, and I was the one that brought up isolation, so I win!

Nah, Sweden and Russia are too overhyped now. Everyone will get sick of them and want to visit another nearby, nice country. :)

Why do everyone have to be nicely dressed and well spoken? People should have fun and live a little. Get the sticks off their bums.

If you saw it in the context of the whole show, you might think it was weird too. But then, you like that type of music and you're Finnish, so you'd be biased. It has nothing to do with being fun and living a little. His jokes were lame, I swear! I'm not trying to diss Finland. Just the presenter chosen for the gig. I can't help it if I didn't like it. :lurker:

I blame Orlong.

I blame his horse - Havok ;)

nobody will remember the land in between :(

Apart from the sharks. They can't go anywhere without Finns ;)

Get the sticks off their bums.

Have you been reading up on slappers again? :giggle2:

If you saw it in the context of the whole show, you might think it was weird too. But then, you like that type of music and you're Finnish, so you'd be biased. It has nothing to do with being fun and living a little. His jokes were lame, I swear! I'm not trying to diss Finland. Just the presenter chosen for the gig. I can't help it if I didn't like it. :lurker:

Personally I think the whole Eurovision song contest is a load of rubbish so I'm only happy if Mr Lordi told lame ass jokes and annoyed every audience possible! Haha.

Apart from the sharks. They can't go anywhere without Finns ;)

I suppose you are the one who wrote the jokes for Mr Lordi :giggle:

Have you been reading up on slappers again? :giggle2:

Naa'ah! I swear I haven't!!

I thought you liked it! Weren't you able to hold a whole conversation about it with a friend of a friend a couple of years back?

I've never liked it. The one year I watched it was in 2006 because I wanted to see how Lordi would do. And the reason I hold a whole conversation THROUGH OUT the contest (not about it!) was because I was talking with my then BF and we had just started going out and it was all new and exciting.

Oh no, I'm not aware of that conversation. I meant when we had dinner with my ex and his Eurovision-obsessed brother. :giggle2: (I was trying to be discreet!)

Are you a fan of Lordi? Or whatever the band's name is?

Oh no, I'm not aware of that conversation. I meant when we had dinner with my ex and his Eurovision-obsessed brother. :giggle2: (I was trying to be discreet!)

But that was general talk, of course I know about the system and what kind of stuff is played there. It doesn't mean I enjoy it or watch it. (sorry for ruining discretion, but I really didn't remember that dinner talk :giggle:)

Are you a fan of Lordi? Or whatever the band's name is?

The band is Lordi, and the singer is (I think) called Mr Lordi. No, I'm not a fan. It's not the kind of metal I listen to.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to reorganise my books in the wee hours this morning and ended up brutally culling around 40-50 books, most of which I've never read. I only got up to the letter K before I got tired and had to stop, so it'll be interesting to see how many more I can remove later. I just hope that it wasn't my extreme tiredness making me ruthless. I hope the choices stick after a good long sleep! :)

I'll write up a list in the next day or two.

I've culled 88 books from my TBR pile! Most of them are from the first half of the alphabet (which I went through last night). I'm not sure if that means I was kinder when I did the second half of the alphabet today. I have no idea what I'm going to do with all these books - some will go to charity and I'll try to sell some, I guess, or get store credit for them. There are piles of books all over my library floor now, and I already had a couple of boxes and bags full of books that I've culled at other times. Egad. :o

These are all books I'd still like to read one day, but I know that I won't be getting to them for many years, so I'd rather get them off my TBR pile now. Some of the books (classics, mostly) are dodgy editions, so I can buy nicer editions when I'm ready to read them. Some books are from challenges (such as the 1001 list); I never intended to read all of the books on that list but I started getting carried away.

Where there are multiple books listed for authors, I've kept a few of their books but decided I just had too many to keep them all (sorry Ray Bradbury :(). There are some I inherited from Frankie after her visit (sorry :(, but there are too many other books I'd prefer to read first). Actually, Frankie, I think you're going to dislike seeing a lot of the books on this list :lurker:. I'm also getting rid of a pile of books that I've read but probably won't read again (not listed here).

Aravind Adiga: The White Tiger

Kelley Armstrong: WotO #7: No Humans Involved

Margaret Atwood: Cat's Eye

Margaret Atwood: Surfacing

Muriel Barbery: The Elegance of the Hedgehog

Julian Barnes: Flaubert's Parrot

John Berendt: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Peter Biskind: Easy Riders, Raging Bulls

Ray Bradbury: Dandelion Wine

Ray Bradbury: From the Dust Returned

Ray Bradbury: Long After Midnight

Poppy Z Brite: Exquisite Corpse

Poppy Z Brite: Lost Souls

Anne Bronte: The Tenant of Wildfell Hall

Christopher Brookmyre: The Sacred Art of Stealing

John Brunner: The Crucible of Time

John Brunner: The Shift Key

John Brunner: The Squares of the City

John Brunner: The Stone that Never Came Down

Augusten Burroughs: Magical Thinking

Augusten Burroughs: Sellevision

Isobelle Carmody: The Farseekers

Isobelle Carmody: Ashling

Isobelle Carmody: The Keeping Place

Raymond Chandler: The High Window

Raymond Chandler: The Little Sister

Geoffrey Chaucer: The Canterbury Tales

Arthur C Clarke: Cradle

Arthur C Clarke: The Hammer of God

Arthur C Clarke: Imperial Earth

Arthur C Clarke: Of Time and Stars

Arthur C Clarke: The Other Side of the Sky

Arthur C Clarke: The Space Trilogy #2: Earthlight

Arthur C Clarke: The Space Trilogy #3: The Sands of Mars

John Cleese and Connie Booth: The Complete Fawlty Towers

Wilkie Collins: The Woman in White

Kiran Desai: The Inheritance of Loss

Charles Dickens: Bleak House

Charles Dickens: The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby

George Eliot: Middlemarch

George Eliot: The Mill on the Floss

Brett Easton Ellis: Less Than Zero

Harlan Ellison: Pulp Fiction: The Villains

Ben Elton: Blast from the Past

Helen Fielding: Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

Frederick Forsyth: The Odessa File

Amitav Ghosh: The Glass Palace

Matt Haig: The Last Family in England

Thomas Hardy: Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Thomas Hardy: The Woodlanders

Harry Harrision: The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge

Harry Harrision: The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World

Harry Harrision: The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You

Harry Harrision: The Stainless Steel Rat for President

Harry Harrison: Stars and Stripes #1: Stars and Stripes Forever

Harry Harrison: Stars and Stripes #2: Stars and Stripes in Peril

Harry Harrison: Stars and Stripes #3: Stars and Stripes Triumphant

Harry Harrison: The Technicolour Time Machine

Raven Hart: The Vampire's Kiss

Raven Hart: The Vampire's Seduction

Raven Hart: The Vampire's Secret

Nathaniel Hawthorne: The Scarlet Letter

Ernest Hemingway: For Whom the Bell Tolls

Hermann Hesse: Steppenwolf

Susan Hill: The Bird of Night

Susan Hill: A Bit of Singing and Dancing and Other Stories

Susan Hill: In the Springtime of the Year

Susan Hill: Lanterns Across the Snow

Susan Hill: The Risk of Darkness

Nick Hornby: Fever Pitch

Nick Hornby: Juliet, Naked

Khaled Hosseini: The Kite Runner

Aldous Huxley: The Devils of Loudun

Henry James: The Europeans

PD James: The Children of Men

Syrie James: The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen

Nicola Kraus and Emma McLaughlin: The Nanny Diaries

Boris Pasternak: Doctor Zhivago

Otto Penzler (ed): Pulp Fiction: The Crimefighters

Mario Puzo: The Godfather

Philip Roth: The Plot Against America

JRR Tolkien: The Silmarillion

Sue Townsend: Rebuilding Coventry

Edgar Wallace: The Door with Seven Locks

Lew Wallace: Ben-Hur

HG Wells: The Cone

Michael Wilding and David Myers: Best Stories Under the Sun

Tom Wolfe: I Am Charlotte Simmons

Somehow I've only managed to acquire an extra shelf or two from this cull. I must have been cramming them in tightly or something!