Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2012

Kylie

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, I used to have a black cat called Pixie! :) I have some lovely conversations with my eldest cat - if you talk to her, she always miows back. :)

Kylie, well done on being brave, and doing what you enjoy. Giving up a regular income is a difficult decision, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

That is wonderful Kylie, you have made the right choice in devoting your talents to the job you love.

........... and if you ever need a bit of long distance human contact there are plenty of us who have skype! :flowers2:

Aww lovely pics of Jasper and Pixie :smile:

Good luck with your new job Kylie! :smile: You haven't gone into it lightly .. you've thought and planned it all out so you've nothing to fear .. it'll be brilliant :smile:

Congratulations on the jump Kylie! Sounds like you've done it the right way, experimentation, practical experience and then deciding. I'm happy for you. :friends3:

BTW, adorable kitties, all. :D

Edited by pontalba

Kylie

Looks like I'm late to the dance, but I will also wish you good luck on your career change .

Your kitty looks like his name should be Terminator, or Clint Eastwood ( Make My Day ) ........ His eyes look kinda like them guys in the movies ! Funny !

Thank you everyone! I went and handed in my pass today and said the rest of my goodbyes, so it's all over now! VF, yes, I have been working from home for the past 5 months to see if I could make it work financially, but I was only on leave from the bank. I didn't make my final decision until a couple of weeks ago.

I spent my book voucher today and I'm very happy with my purchases; there's a good variety, I think!

Jasper Fforde One of Our Thursdays is Missing

Alberto Manguel All Men are Liars

Dorothy Parker and Arnaud D'usseau The Ladies of the Corridor

Terry Pratchett Jingo

John Steinbeck The Pearl

Kurt Vonnegut Palm Sunday & Welcome to the Monkey House

I didn't think Fforde's latest would be available in the edition size I wanted, but it was! :)

I didn't think Fforde's latest would be available in the edition size I wanted, but it was! :)

Excellent purchasing, Kylie! The next Thursday Next is out next Thursday :smile2:

Edited by chesilbeach

Doh! That explains why I was able to find the edition I wanted (because it has been out for a while). I thought it was the most recent book! How I could have been so silly? I really need to keep better track of my books. So now I have two edition of OoOTiM. But it's OK, really, because I got the first one very cheap and I bought it online and accidentally bought the mass market paperback size instead of the larger size. I was quite upset with myself because it didn't match the rest of my books. At least the one I bought today is a perfect match. :) Oh well!

I have One of Our Thursdays is Missing on my TBR pile, Kylie, so we'll have to compare notes after reading!

Such cute pictures of cats. My Sascha is a constant talker and I'll admit sometimes I'm just not in the mood :lol: She meows when she wants something, or she'll try and carry on a conversation with me, or sometimes she just wanders my place and meows so I just assume that's something she does when she's bored, ha!

Doh! That explains why I was able to find the edition I wanted (because it has been out for a while). I thought it was the most recent book! How I could have been so silly? I really need to keep better track of my books. So now I have two edition of OoOTiM. But it's OK, really, because I got the first one very cheap and I bought it online and accidentally bought the mass market paperback size instead of the larger size. I was quite upset with myself because it didn't match the rest of my books. At least the one I bought today is a perfect match. :) Oh well!

Well at least now you can read the mass market edition and keep your larger edition in pristine condition!

Alberto Manguel All Men are Liars

Dorothy Parker and Arnaud D'usseau The Ladies of the Corridor

Terry Pratchett Jingo

John Steinbeck The Pearl

Kurt Vonnegut Palm Sunday & Welcome to the Monkey House

Bloody hell, an excellent haul! Thank lords for awesome ex co-workers and their great taste in departing gifts, aye? :cool:

I'm particularly happy about the Fforde book (especially since you have it twice over :giggle:). Manguel, the book person, has written about men? Interesting! Wohoo for Dorothy Parker :smile2: Steinbeck and Pratchett are always good, too! And I see you bought the copy of the Vonnegut book I've gotten rid of :giggle:

Excellent purchasing, Kylie! The next Thursday Next is out next Thursday :smile2:

:D Awesome!

Joseph Heller Catch as Catch Can

Joseph Heller Picture This

Well I couldn't really expect you to not buy these at some point, I know you like Heller.

I didn't even know that Catch as Catch Can existed until I saw it in the shop. It's a collection of other things he wrote for newspapers etc. :)

Dan Rhodes Anthropology

Rhodes gets the thumbs up from me, too

Yep! This looks really very short as there is not much text on each page.

Sun Tzu The Art of War

Jealous! I so want to read this so I can debate like Rory and Paris

I've wanted this for a while. I see it mentioned so often and it still seems to be relevant today, so I'm really curious to know what it's like.

Jared Diamond Why is Sex Fun?

If you need a book to tell you why, I think it's a lost cause.... :giggle:

:P! I have a few books Diamond has written, mostly about the rise and fall of civilisations and whatnot. So it's more of a (fun) scientific book. It discusses why humans are the only species (or maybe one of two; I can't remember) that have sex for fun. ;) I'm sure there's other stuff to it too...

David Malouf Johnno

He's Australian, of course you had to get the book!

I'm so proud that you know that. :) And it was on sale, so I had to get it!

LM Montgomery Chronicles of Avonlea

LM Montgomery Further Chronicles of Avonlea

Wohoo for Montgomery! I'm not sure which books these are, I've probably not read them. I don't think that many of her novels have been translated into Finnish, so I never had a chance to read these as a kid. I wonder if these are the books that Road to Avonlea is based on, as well as the Story Girl book (which I didn't particularly enjoy).

I don't know much about Road to Avonlea, but I think there's a good chance that it's based on these books. I believe the Chronicles are about other characters that live in Avonlea, and so is the show? I'd love to see that show one day. As I recall, you rate it very highly. :) What a shame it is when all books in a series are not translated into different languages. You might have seen my post recently about the German author, Walter Moers, and one of his books that hasn't been translated into English. I'm sure I've read similar stories about other series' too.

Astrid Lindgren Karlson Flies Again

I don't think I've read the book, or at least I don't remember it. All Lindgren books are amazing, though!

Yep, I reckon you're right!

Claudine Monteil The Beauvoir Sisters

Mega jealous! I had no idea there were sisters, too. Should make interesting reading!

I think so too! It appears there were two sisters and they had an interesting relationship.

Wendy Jones The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals

I love the sound of the title. And yeah, I agree, there have been a whole lot of cutesy long titles around for a while now, and I kinda know what you mean by them getting pretty tiring, but I can't help but like them anyways. I'm totally intrigued by this, only because of the title. I should google the book, since you've given us no indication what the novel is about, but a rather long rant post on some missing comma or something... :giggle: Before you gasp with horror and annoyance, I agree, I would be mega annoyed if I saw a copy of that without the meaningful, purposeful comma. I can't believe people in the book publishing business can be so oblivious to common knowledge and grammar!!

Same here (I can't help but like them anyway); otherwise, I guess I would refuse to buy them no matter what the content of the story is).

Wohoo for liking the book, I hope it's brought your mojo back billionfold!!

Lol for having first written about Sputnik Sweetheart, then noticing error, editing, and making me confused because I read your posts in order and was mighty baffled

So sad about the copy gone missing Maybe it'll turn up somewhere, someday? Maybe evil Shel ate the book?

It did rather bring my mojo back! For a short time at least. :)

Haha. Sorry for confusing you. I tried to fix the post quickly! I still haven't found it, but I think I had a dream last night that I did, so hopefully my dream will come true for once. Don't you blame it on poor Shel!

Bloody hell, an excellent haul! Thank lords for awesome ex co-workers and their great taste in departing gifts, aye? :cool:

I'm particularly happy about the Fforde book (especially since you have it twice over :giggle:). Manguel, the book person, has written about men? Interesting! Wohoo for Dorothy Parker :smile2: Steinbeck and Pratchett are always good, too! And I see you bought the copy of the Vonnegut book I've gotten rid of :giggle:

:D Awesome!

Thanks! Manguel usually writes non-fiction, but this is one of perhaps two fiction books he has written. :)

The Dorothy Parker book sounds quite good and funny. The co-author is a playwright but this book is a novel.

Steve, your cat is adorable. :)

I was asked to review Willard Price, so I've just started it. I'm not bothered by the title as they tend to be a separate entity - how many completely ignore capital letters, for example. :) The title is also the 2nd chapter heading, and they have it correct there.

It's really interesting that they've written the title two different ways! I don't know if I feel better that they have it correct in one place, or whether I wished they had at least been consistent in the error (there's no pleasing me!)

Speaking of which, I was in a jam shop yesterday and noticed a jam of 'Mums Tomato Sauce'. I ranted about that typo to my Mum for a few seconds and then noticed that a different shaped bottle showed 'Mum's Tomato Sauce'. I was somewhat pacified but again, consistency is so important!

Hey, just noticed you've got this :) I read, and really really enjoyed The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter and have always been interested in her other works. The title of this alone intrigues me enough to want to read it :P would love to know if you've read any other Angela Carter and what you thought, if you have :)

I'm the same as you, Hanananah. I've read and enjoyed TBC and am now keen to try other things she has written. :)The Passion of New Eve is a novel rather than short stories. I was going to say that it would be interesting to read how her writing style in novels compares to her short stories, but I think

Well at least now you can read the mass market edition and keep your larger edition in pristine condition!

Ah, good thinking, Chesil!

Angela Carter The Passion of New Eve

Astrid Lindgren Karlson Flies Again

I loved Angela Carter's "The Magic Toyshop" but didn't like "The Bloody Chamber" at all (I'm not a fan of short stories so that could be the reason). I'll be interested to hear your thought's on this one.

I have a vague memory of the Karlson books, I think I read Karlson on the Roof many moons ago, I might have to get a copy for my 7 year old, I certainly need to find something to engage him in reading!! :smile:

Steve, your cat is adorable. :)

Aw, thanks :smile: She's being the definitive scaredy-cat at the moment - every time it starts raining she goes and hides under the chair. She doesn't like the noise it makes on the roof :hide:

I received a book in the mail a day or two ago: Shakespeare on Toast by Ben Crystal. It was recommended by someone here, but I've forgotten who, sorry. :blush2:

I was really relieved to receive it, because it was shipped out about 3 weeks ago. I usually receive my orders within a week, and I was worried that someone had pinched my mail again. I'd been listening for the postie each day and getting to my mail box as quickly as possible, just in case. I guess I was being particularly paranoid on the day the book arrived, because I arrived too early and had just finished checking my box when the postie rode up. :) He now recognises me from another time I rushed out the door to collect my books from him. :) He probably thinks I'm crazy.

because I arrived too early and had just finished checking my box when the postie rode up. :) He now recognises me from another time I rushed out the door to collect my books from him. :) He probably thinks I'm crazy.

Could be the start of a beautiful relationship.

I received some books in the mail today:

Richard Brautigan Trout Fishing in America

Alberto Manguel With Borges

Groucho Marx The Essential Groucho Marx

Groucho Marx Groucho and Me

Terry Pratchett Discworld #9: Faust Eric

:)