Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2012

Kylie

I know! :( Maybe it will pacify her to know that I didn't for one second consider getting rid of Running with Scissors. Do you think that will save me?

...and for this....

That was one I inherited from her when she visited. Oh dear. Maybe I should tell Frankie not to check the list... :(

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know! :( Maybe it will pacify her to know that I didn't for one second consider getting rid of Running with Scissors. Do you think that will save me?

You might just get away with it, but maybe you'll just have to try and distract her elsewhere and she'll miss your post here!

Frankie sad.

Poppy Z Brite: Exquisite Corpse

Poppy Z Brite: Lost Souls

Augusten Burroughs: Magical Thinking

Augusten Burroughs: Sellevision

Matt Haig: The Last Family in England

Ernest Hemingway: For Whom the Bell Tolls

Nick Hornby: Juliet, Naked

:( :( :cry2:

Sigh. Well, what can one do.

Aravind Adiga: The White Tiger

That one's languishing on my TBR pile, too ...

John Brunner: The Crucible of Time

John Brunner: The Shift Key

John Brunner: The Squares of the City

John Brunner: The Stone that Never Came Down

I see my powers of persuasion failed :lol:

Geoffrey Chaucer: The Canterbury Tales

George Eliot: The Mill on the Floss

Ugh, don't blame you for those two. The Mill on the Floss is possibly the worst book I've ever read :doh:

Frankie sad.

:( :( :cry2:

Sowwy. :empathy:

That one's languishing on my TBR pile, too ...

That's one that I bought more because I thought I should read it rather than because I wanted to read it.

I see my powers of persuasion failed :lol:

Have no fear! I still have four others on my TBR pile. He has written several dystopians, which is why I'm interested in reading him, but I started getting carried away and buying his non-dystopian books too.

Ugh, don't blame you for those two. The Mill on the Floss is possibly the worst book I've ever read :doh:

Glad to hear it. :) I still wouldn't mind reading them, but I've never been able to muster up any enthusiasm for them.

Hi Kylie, how are you? I am looking forward to what you think of 'Cat's Eye' by Margaret Atwood, I have read it but I might give it a re~read. :)

Hi Paula! I'm well, thanks. :) Actually that's my list of books that I'm going to get rid of (:(). I have had Cat's Eye for quite a while, and I don't particularly like the edition (the binding is not good). I already have several other books by Atwood on my TBR pile, including The Year of the Flood (no, I still have not read it!), The Robber Bride and Alias Grace, so I thought I'd give up Cat's Eye for now and maybe try to read it sometime in the distant future. I assume you enjoyed it?

Sorry, but I can't let this pass by! ;)The Canterbury Tales is fabulous!! I read it one story at a time (with a parallel translation on the opposite page), and just loved not just the stories, but the rhythms and the language. Strictly speaking it should be listened to rather than read, but reading is a good substitute.

Otherwise, not many I'd disagree with, and some I wouldn't give the time of day to (FWIW!), but please don't dismiss The Woman in White or Bleak House too readily - they are truly great books (that is, unless you really don't like either Victorian fiction or either author individually).

Kidsmum, that's a great description. :giggle2: I'll never look at them the same way again.

Just to be clear, I still would really love to read most of the books on that list (particularly the classics), but with a TBR pile of over 1300 (even after the cull :(), I know I won't get to these books for a very long time. Have you seen my sig? I've only read 16 books so far this year! :(

As I said, many of the classics I have are kind of old and yucky, and I would prefer to buy spanking new editions to read when I'm ready. I'm a more discerning buyer these days and like to buy books that I can keep long term. This means replacing many of the older books I bought when I was more 'trigger happy' and buying falling-apart editions for 50c. I recently replaced Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone, and I will definitely be buying a nice Vintage edition of The Woman in White because my current edition has minuscule writing. As much as I'd like to read Bleak House, it's not a particularly great loss because I still have several other Dickens' to read.

The Canterbury Tales is another one that will be replaced, but not for quite some time, I suspect, because I find the prospect of reading it rather daunting. I also don't like the edition I have (very old, tiny print) and I would much prefer an edition that has a translation and/or illustrations. I've seen some fairly lavish editions around.

I've heard nothing but good reviews about The Kite Runner, but I just cannot muster the enthusiasm to read it. It just doesn't interest me and I know that won't change any time soon. I'm sure I'll be missing out, but I have so many other great reads ahead that I really have to focus more on the books that I've discovered for myself. Unfortunately, this one will be sacrificed in the name of the good ol' 'too many books, not enough time'.

I've heard nothing but good reviews about The Kite Runner, but I just cannot muster the enthusiasm to read it. It just doesn't interest me and I know that won't change any time soon. I'm sure I'll be missing out, but I have so many other great reads ahead that I really have to focus more on the books that I've discovered for myself. Unfortunately, this one will be sacrificed in the name of the good ol' 'too many books, not enough time'.

Have you read A Thousand Splendid Suns Kylie? I read The Kite Runner last year and thought it was very, very good but I am finding ATSS much more absorbing, maybe because it is from a female perspective.. :)

I recently replaced Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone, and I will definitely be buying a nice Vintage edition of The Woman in White because my current edition has minuscule writing. As much as I'd like to read Bleak House, it's not a particularly great loss because I still have several other Dickens' to read.

The Canterbury Tales is another one that will be replaced, but not for quite some time, I suspect, because I find the prospect of reading it rather daunting. I also don't like the edition I have (very old, tiny print) and I would much prefer an edition that has a translation and/or illustrations. I've seen some fairly lavish editions around.

I like the Vintage editions too - usually attractive covers and decent sized print. My Canterbury Tales is the Folio Society edition (bought second hand on ebay) with David Wright's translation opposite the original, but if truth be known, I prefer the Coghill translation used in the Penguin Classics edition - it seems to read more clearly and more, well, poetically. It may be daunting to look at, but I found that it was immensely readable (I haven't managed to read it in the original on its own), and some of the stories are very earthy! Anything but daunting in fact! As I said I did, I'd suggest reading it one story at a time - it becomes very manageable then.

As for Bleak House - I have mixed views on Dickens, and whilst loving some, have struggled a bit with others. Depends on my mood/frame of mind I suspect, but for me, of the ones I've read, Bleak House stands out as his best. If Ihadn't read him before, I'd suggest possibly reading one or two of his 'easier' ones first to get used to his style (Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, Pickwick Papers - but that's very different to the rest of his works), and then go for it!!!

Sorry, but I can't let this pass by! ;)The Canterbury Tales is fabulous!!

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one :lol: Probably doesn't help that I had to read it for my A level. I absolutely loathed it. Not as much as The Mill on the Floss, though :lol:

Probably doesn't help that I had to read it for my A level.

So did I. Have to say that I came to really like most of my set texts - except The Great Gatsby.

I absolutely loathed it.Not as much as The Mill on the Floss, though :lol:

I've yet to read that one - but had Middlemarch as my set George Eliot. Again, really emjoyed it. Edited by willoyd

Thanks Laura. :) If you're not keen to do it, then don't - you may regret it later!

I think what I'm going to do is not continue reading a book if I'm not enjoying it as I tend to read a book even if I'm not enjoying it! I think if I can't get into it after about 50 pages or so ill give up and give it away :)

14 June 2012

Dear Kylie.

Sorry to go off-topic, but if by any miracle you happen to see this before you attempt my Draw Something, please accept my most sincere apologies for the fact that Mr Einstein looks, in fact, like a reject from a 1980s pop band. The drawings always look so much better in my head than they do when I've actually drawn them! I'm hoping the E=mc2 might help a little!

:giggle2:

Love, Janet xxx

PS - I also realise I sent this to you at about 3.40am - I hope I didn't wake you!

Hahaha! I only just saw this so I have indeed seen Einstein. I think your drawings are marvellous and much more creative than mine. :) I knew it had something to do with the hair, but I was trying to think of a particular hairstyle rather than an actual person. As soon as I saw E = I knew it who it was.

And don't worry about waking me. I have strange hours these days. I tend to stay up all night and go to bed mid morning!

I think your drawings are marvellous and much more creative than mine. :)

Aww shucks - thanks! Sometimes I see really good ideas in my head, but I can't always translate the on to the screen! :lol:

And don't worry about waking me. I have strange hours these days. I tend to stay up all night and go to bed mid morning!

Phew - it was only after I hit send that I even considered the time difference. :blush:

I know what you mean. I just sent you a pic and you might notice that I drew a player holding something at the wrong end. :rolleyes: It didn't look like that in my mind! Had to fix it.

:giggle2: I tend to draw all of my people as black stick figures. I should maybe use a different colour (I'm saving up to get the colour palette that has more Anglo skin tone colours) and try to draw an actual body, but I'm scared it will turn out horrendously, so I just keep drawing stick figures!