Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2012

Kylie

I believe your post about getting the book and my interested response was what triggered Frankie to buy it for me. :) So I want to thank you, because I loved it! I'll give a slightly more detailed review shortly. :)

hehe, well I'm glad that it got put on your radar by me then hehe :) It's on my kindle in the Priority Reading section, so I can read it soon :)

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the same as And The There Were None? I had an ancient copy of it somewhere but I'm not sure if I still have it - not sure I'd want to read it in public now with that title. I don't know where it came from as I haven't read it.

Hi Janet. Yes it is. It was first called Ten Little Niggers, then Ten Little Indians, and now And Then There Were None.

Ugh, Willy Wonka. Creepy! :lurker: (ETA: Okay, should have read your whole post properly. Now I've just insulted one of your favourite films ever! Sorry! It was on TV here at the weekend but I only saw the last 5 minutes. I want to read the book now, to see how both films compare - apparently Dahl hated Willy Wonka so much that he refused to have any other books adapted in his lifetime, so I feel a little vindicated - but I hope I haven't offended you. :hug: )

Is that the same as And The There Were None? I had an ancient copy of it somewhere but I'm not sure if I still have it - not sure I'd want to read it in public now with that title. I don't know where it came from as I haven't read it.

Have you guys actually done a combined list of your lists? I've read a few off yours and have quite a few on my 'to read' pile - perhaps I would have more luck with 'Kylie and frankie's books you must read before you die' than I'm likely to with the '1000 books...' :giggle2:

You really hate the movie? :( But it's so sweet! And Gene Wilder is lovely. Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka is too creepy and Michael Jackson-like for my tastes.

Yes, I suppose you'd only find the original Christie title in secondhand bookshops, and not even then if the owner is politically correct.

I know Frankie posted a list of the half dozen or so books we all have in common, but it would be great to combine all three lists. I might do that myself here (unless one of the others beats me to it!)

I think there may be more than 1000 on the K & F combined...............................

One day, Chrissy! One day... :D

You might have found this yourself, Kylie - but there is an article from one of our newspapers on what happened to all the main characters here. It's not a paper I'd touch with a 10 foot pole, personally, but it's very popular here and the article is quite interesting if you haven't already seen it. :)

Thanks Janet! Do you mean you wouldn't touch it because it's not written very well? All the same, it's an interesting article. While I knew most of it from I Want it Now!, I didn't know that Denise (Violet) received so many cavities from all the gum she chewed! I hope they paid her dentist bills.

hehe, well I'm glad that it got put on your radar by me then hehe :) It's on my kindle in the Priority Reading section, so I can read it soon

Excellent! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :)

You really hate the movie? :( But it's so sweet! And Gene Wilder is lovely. Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka is too creepy and Michael Jackson-like for my tastes.

Well, to be fair, I haven’t watched it for years and years, because when I did (I think I’ve only seen it once and I must have been reasonably young) I remember feeling quite creeped out by it. I will try to read the book this year, and then next time I see Willy Wonka is on, I will try it again and see if it’s better now I’m an adult! :)

I like Johnny's Willy Wonka, but I can understand why his portrayal wouldn't suit everyone - and he does look a little like Michael Jackson I'll concede! :giggle:

I know Frankie posted a list of the half dozen or so books we all have in common, but it would be great to combine all three lists. I might do that myself here (unless one of the others beats me to it!)

I will look forward it it! :)

Thanks Janet! Do you mean you wouldn't touch it because it's not written very well? All the same, it's an interesting article. While I knew most of it from I Want it Now!, I didn't know that Denise (Violet) received so many cavities from all the gum she chewed! I hope they paid her dentist bills.

I thought the article was great – it’s the paper I don’t like. I don’t actually buy a newspaper very often but when I do I only buy a weekend paper – and then only a broadsheet (Guardian, Times or Telegraph depending on my mood).

The Mail is (in my opinion, and I don’t want to offend anyone who reads it) a rather bigoted paper . I have glanced through it at it at work in the staff canteen if there is no other paper available to read and it all seems to be about immigration, people on benefits and what gives you cancer, and whilst I don’t support people who are ‘layabouts’ and stay on benefits because they want to, I do realise that some people have to be on benefits – but to me the Mail seems to go for a “one size problem fits all” approach. As I said, it’s all personal preference and I don’t want to offend any Mail readers.

I thought the article was great – it’s the paper I don’t like. I don’t actually buy a newspaper very often but when I do I only buy a weekend paper – and then only a broadsheet (Guardian, Times or Telegraph depending on my mood).

The Mail is (in my opinion, and I don’t want to offend anyone who reads it) a rather bigoted paper . I have glanced through it at it at work in the staff canteen if there is no other paper available to read and it all seems to be about immigration, people on benefits and what gives you cancer, and whilst I don’t support people who are ‘layabouts’ and stay on benefits because they want to, I do realise that some people have to be on benefits – but to me the Mail seems to go for a “one size problem fits all” approach. As I said, it’s all personal preference and I don’t want to offend any Mail readers.

Oh the Mail are so negative .. it's a national joke now. Their job is to demoralise the nation ... well done them :rolleyes: I don't buy a newspaper either .. I long ago came to the conclusion that nearly everything in it is hogwash. All this making celebrities out of people who have actually done nothing and pushing anyone that they think are the beez kneez (Cheryl Cole, Katie Price, Kerry Katona, Amanda Holden, Victoria Beckham, Pippa Middleton ... I don't want to know about their every move or their secret this and that exclusively revealed here.) I will read a paper occasionally .. if I'm at a coffee shop or at my Mum & Dad's but I only ever buy one at weekends .. then it's usually The Observer .. especially if there's a food supplement :D

I listen to or watch the news .. that's enough for me.

I searched all the lists as soon as I got poppyshake's, and here are the ones that are in common on our lists (Kylie, poppyshake and me)

Harper Lee: To Kill a Mockingbird

Markus Zusak: The Book Thief

Jeffrey Eugenides: Middlesex

Margaret Mitchell: Gone with the Wind

Charles Dickens: A Tale of Two Cities

J. K. Rowling: Harry Potter (series)

Stephen Chbosky: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Anne Frank: The Diary of Anne Frank

I forgot to mention on this thread that the gorgeous Chrissy sent me Coffee at Luke's the other day. I can't wait to read it! I think I'll start this weekend. :)

I bought my first two books for the year this week:

Chris Priestley: The Dead of Winter

Ryu Murakami: Piercing

When I was in the shop I saw an absolutely gorgeous large hardback edition of Dante's Divine Comedy. It's full of full-page illustrations by Gustave Dore, a 19th century French artist whose artwork I fell in love with when I read Walter Moer's A Wild Ride through the Night last year. The book was a bit expensive (for the shop I was in) so I went home and ordered it online. It's still rather more money than I spend on books these days, but it is absolutely worth it for the artwork alone. I'm not even sure what the translation is like (I mean, whether it is well respected), but I read a few lines and it look like an enjoyable read, which is good enough for me!

While I was ordering the book, two other books snuck into my shopping basket: Between the Sheets by Leslie McDowell (pre-order paperback) and Alberic the Wise and Other Journeys by Norton Juster.

One of the things I'm going to try this year, in an effort to stop buying as many books, is to make myself read the books that I buy before I get to the rest of my TBR pile. This will hopefully slow me down because there are so many books already on my TBR pile that I'm desperate to read! Luckily, the books I've bought/ordered are all reasonably short, so it won't put be back too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Dad and I went to IKEA yesterday and I spent my birthday voucher on a new Billy bookcase (black) and two glass doors. :) I don't really like doors on my bookcases, but as this one's going in the lounge room, doors are necessary to keep Jasper off the shelves.

I've rearranged my lounge room completely, so now I have one wall for bookcases. I have two black Billys here now, with room for two more. Dad just came over and bolted the bookcases to the wall and attached the doors. Now to fill 'em with books! I really need 4 more shelves, but IKEA didn't have any in stock, so I might not be able to fit in all my books yet. Also, one bookcase is storing my DVDs...at least, until I need the space for books (hopefully not for a long time).

I've got a similar problem with DVDs, Kylie. I've got about seven shelves full of them still, and that's after a major clear-out a couple of years ago. I decided, in the end, to get one of those Caselogic cases, put the discs in there and throw away the DVD boxes.

Dad and I went to IKEA yesterday and I spent my birthday voucher on a new Billy bookcase (black) and two glass doors. :) I don't really like doors on my bookcases, but as this one's going in the lounge room, doors are necessary to keep Jasper off the shelves.

I've rearranged my lounge room completely, so now I have one wall for bookcases. I have two black Billys here now, with room for two more. Dad just came over and bolted the bookcases to the wall and attached the doors. Now to fill 'em with books! I really need 4 more shelves, but IKEA didn't have any in stock, so I might not be able to fit in all my books yet. Also, one bookcase is storing my DVDs...at least, until I need the space for books (hopefully not for a long time).

Well as always I am eagerly anticipating the pictures :D I would love to get a bookcase for my birthday (though I've nowhere to put it) but even more than that .. I would LOVE to arrange books on a bookcase .. it's such a pleasure isn't it?

I won't be getting a bookcase :( but I have asked Alan if he will paint the little book cabinet that he bought me last year and get some of the cracked glass replaced. Its an old antique one (though not valuable) and it's quite a dark oak colour at the moment and as it is on the landing which has no windows .. it's not shining :D I'd like it painted a nice french grey or blue so that it will scream 'look at me' a bit more :D He has a lot of decorating jobs on at the moment but he said he will try and sort it for my birthday :friends0: ... and he can always buy me some more books to go in it too .. if he's out of ideas :D

I've got a similar problem with DVDs, Kylie. I've got about seven shelves full of them still, and that's after a major clear-out a couple of years ago. I decided, in the end, to get one of those Caselogic cases, put the discs in there and throw away the DVD boxes.

I'm thinking of getting rid of some of my DVDs too. I have 5 shelves and several small boxes that hold several hundred more in plastic sleeves. I don't have time to watch them all!

Well as always I am eagerly anticipating the pictures :D I would love to get a bookcase for my birthday (though I've nowhere to put it) but even more than that .. I would LOVE to arrange books on a bookcase .. it's such a pleasure isn't it?

I'm sure you'll get books for your birthday. :) I've posted a bit of a dodgy photo of my downstairs bookcases in the Show Your Bookshelves thread. I've moved my books about books downstairs, as well as my books of essays/letters/diaries etc.

I've acquired several books in the past week or so:

Norton Juster: Alberic the Wise and Other Journeys

Ken Kesey: Sometimes a Great Notion

Alberto Manguel: News from a Foreign Country Came

Dan Rhodes: Timoleon Vieta Come Home

Today I received my precious copy of Dante's Divine Comedy in the mail, with all Gustave Dore's illustrious illustrations. :D

I think I have another half dozen books on the way, so I'm slowly falling off the wagon. I'm still being strong though. I've passed up one big book sale I usually go to, and there's a book fair coming up that I'm going to avoid.

I gave myself a set monthly budget for books this year, and I've met my limit for February, but I want to order more. I still have my full budget from January. Is it cheating if I use it? Nine days is a long time for a book addict to wait... :(

I'm going to try to set aside 1 hour each day for reading. I'm starting with a small goal, and hopefully I'll be able to build it up a bit from there.

How has this been working for you? :) I've noticed that you've finished a few books since January and to me it seems like you are picking up the pace :smile2: I just love it that you don't have to go to the bank anymore and can do work at home, on the hours you set for yourself.

When did you have time to do all this :o There must've been a lot of manouvering! My eyes went straight for the Allen Ginsberg (The Book of Martyrdom and Artifice) :lol: What did your Dad say when he found out you wanted more bookcases?

I've posted a bit of a dodgy photo of my downstairs bookcases in the Show Your Bookshelves thread. I've moved my books about books downstairs, as well as my books of essays/letters/diaries etc.

Yes but that simply won't do! we want more pics!!

I think I have another half dozen books on the way, so I'm slowly falling off the wagon. I'm still being strong though. I've passed up one big book sale I usually go to, and there's a book fair coming up that I'm going to avoid.

Why do you think you are slowly losing your grip? :empathy: Oh boy, the book fair... Such fabulousness <3

I gave myself a set monthly budget for books this year, and I've met my limit for February, but I want to order more. I still have my full budget from January. Is it cheating if I use it? Nine days is a long time for a book addict to wait... :(

Nine days is long ways but you said you already have about a half a dozen books to arrive. (I feel like I've been really hard on you lately about book buying and such and now I'm too scared to be any harderr :blush2: )

I got a nice little haul of books in the mail today:

Nicholas Karolides et al: 100 Banned Books: Censorship Histories of World Literature

Dai Sijie: Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

Terry Teachout: The Skeptic: A Life of HL Mencken

Scarlett Thomas: The End of Mr Y

Rick Wartzman: Obscene in the Extreme: The Burning and Banning of John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath

I started reading Justin Halpern's Sh*t My Dad Says a couple of days ago. It's a good mood picker-upper. :D

Dear Kylie, please can you read this one immediately and tell me what it's like? :D;)

I've read it :smile: .. it's a mix of good and frustrating. I felt like there was a phenomenal book in there that didn't quite get out. It's still a great story though and worth reading. Needless to say I was confused by any mention of quantum physics but I did my best to half grasp it :D

Needless to say I was confused by any mention of quantum physics but I did my best to half grasp it :D

You need to watch more Brian Cox ;)

Thanks Poppy :smile:

So, seeing as our views on books we've both read seem to be polar opposites, should I assume that'll be the case with this one as well? :giggle2:;)

You need to watch more Brian Cox ;)

My Mum thinks he is the devil incarnate which cracks me up because everybody else seems to love him. She says he just tries to frighten everyone :D

.. My Mum is lovely but odd (as you might expect :D) .. she doesn't believe in the moon landings (and this is where she might have fallen foul of Brian Cox because he banished all moon landing sceptics from watching his programme .. however I'm pretty sure she WASN'T watching his programme having long ago decided that he is some sort of disaster mongerer.) She doesn't believe in global warming either .. get's quite heated ( :D) if you talk about it .. doesn't believe it was caused by man anyway and puts David Attenborough in the same box as Brian Cox.

So, seeing as our views on books we've both read seem to be polar opposites, should I assume that'll be the case with this one as well? :giggle2:;)

It would be wise wouldn't it :D I never thought of it before (but I bet a lot of other people have) .. my reviews could be fed into some sort of machine (reversing the polarity or something ;)) which would churn out a completely opposite review. I feel sure you would love a book that I'd only given 4/10 to .. but there aren't any .. I choose too well.

I've just remembered Madame Bovary ... just the book for you .. if only there were drones in it (actually she DID drone on a lot .. would that count :D)

Edited by poppyshake

My Mum thinks he is the devil incarnate which cracks me up because everybody else seems to love him. She says he just tries to frighten everyone :D

.. My Mum is lovely but odd (as you might expect :D) .. she doesn't believe in the moon landings (and this is where she might have fallen foul of Brian Cox because he banished all moon landing sceptics from watching his programme .. however I'm pretty sure she WASN'T watching his programme having long ago decided that he is some sort of disaster mongerer.) She doesn't believe in global warming either .. get's quite heated ( :D) if you talk about it .. doesn't believe it was caused by man anyway and puts David Attenborough in the same box as Brian Cox.

Well you should tell her that any 'disasters' Brian Cox is talking about are millions of years in the future :D I do find that he makes it quite easy to understand, though, which is great. If it wasn't for the fact that I live in a city, Stargazing Live would've had me out buying a telescope without a second thought!

It would be wise wouldn't it :D I never thought of it before (but I bet a lot of other people have) .. my reviews could be fed into some sort of machine (reversing the polarity or something ;)) which would churn out a completely opposite review. I feel sure you would love a book that I'd only given 4/10 to .. but there aren't any .. I choose too well.

I've just remembered Madame Bovary ... just the book for you .. if only there were drones in it (actually she DID drone on a lot .. would that count :D)

I think it's me with the weird tastes, not you, don't worry! :lol: Something I've always been bizarrely proud of :cool::giggle2:

Sorry for the hijack, Kylie!

How has this been working for you? I've noticed that you've finished a few books since January and to me it seems like you are picking up the pace I just love it that you don't have to go to the bank anymore and can do work at home, on the hours you set for yourself.

Well, it's not working too well. :( I'll try to start being more disciplined this week. I still haven't finished Catch-22 or Coffee at Luke's. I've been reading them far too long. Actually, I've hardly read anything from either book in the past few weeks. :(

I love that I don't have to go to the bank too! :D

When did you have time to do all this There must've been a lot of manouvering! My eyes went straight for the Allen Ginsberg (The Book of Martyrdom and Artifice) What did your Dad say when he found out you wanted more bookcases?

Ha, yes, Ginsberg stands out a bit doesn't it?

Rearranging my lounge room has happened bit by bit over several weeks. My friend also helped me fix things a little yesterday, so it's looking pretty good now, but it still needs a bit of work.

Dad didn't say anything about more bookcases. Maybe he's finally resigned himself to the idea! When I first moved in, I was determined to keep all of my books in one room for some reason. But now they've well and truly overflowed and I quite like the idea of having books in all rooms. There's a space on the wall in my kitchen where I can fit a shelf just big enough for my cookbooks. :) I have all of my editing and English language books in my study now. Eventually my library upstairs will be for fiction books only, and I'll move the rest of my non-fiction books downstairs when I get another bookcase. It's going to look quite nice having one wall (albeit the short one) covered in bookcases. :)

Yes but that simply won't do! we want more pics!!

I'll try to get some detailed pics up in the next few weeks.

Why do you think you are slowly losing your grip?

Well, I didn't buy any books in January but bought one or two dozen in February! I'll try to behave myself again this month. I'm still within budget though (by about $1), so that's something!

I feel like I've been really hard on you lately about book buying and such and now I'm too scared to be any harder

Aww, you needn't feel bad! I know you have my best interests at heart (well, and your own interests too! :P)

I received some great books in the mail today:

Harry Mathews & Alastair Brotchie Oulipo Compendium (a definition of Oulipo can be found here)

Lesley McDowell Between the Sheets

Georges Perec Things: A Story of the Sixties

Georges Perec W or the Memory of Childhood

William Styron: Darkness Visible

:) I'm very happy and expecting more books in the next few days.

I'm going to be replying to some posts but before I forget:

Seeing as you've talked about how you've rearranged your livingroom and you are about to cover one wall in the kitchen area with bookcases and books, I started to think about the second bedroom that I used to live in, and I started to wonder what's happened to that room. I know it's been made into your study, but I want to know more! :) And I want pics too, if that isn't too big of a bother? Actually I'd like pics of all of the things that have changed since I was there :giggle:

Kylie, where can I sleep when I come over and visit? :( Is the study a free-from-Jasper zone? I don't know if I can stay over the night if he's allowed in all the rooms and I don't know, would your courtyard manage a tent? Hehe my lizard friends could creep in with me and have a nice nap in the evening. I hope the big ass spiders keep out, though!!

Moving on to new purchases:

Norton Juster: Alberic the Wise and Other Journeys

I really want to read The Phantom Tollbooth soon! I still can't believe I was going to read that but somehow picked up Blinky Bill instead :D It's not like they are similar sort of stories (?) and same size and similarly covered.

Ken Kesey: Sometimes a Great Notion

I have no idea what this is about! :blush:

Alberto Manguel: News from a Foreign Country Came

Is this fiction?

I really want to read this, there's a doggy in there :smile2: Oh, when do you plan on reading Gold? ;)

Today I received my precious copy of Dante's Divine Comedy in the mail, with all Gustave Dore's

I would like to see pics, please! I read your post about it, I bet it's beautiful!

Nicholas Karolides et al: 100 Banned Books: Censorship Histories of World Literature

This must be hella interesting! I've been thinking about doing a Banned Books reading challenge, but I think I already told you about it. I'd be interested in hearing about the titles that are in the book. I wonder if they might be listed somewhere on the internet... So you wouldn't have to type them all! Not that you would. Have to, that is. LOL!

Dai Sijie: Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

Happy happy happy! Which edition did you get? Quite unlike the usual Finnish copies, my copy was really beautiful, I wonder if it's the same as the English copies.

Terry Teachout: The Skeptic: A Life of HL Mencken

Green with envy!

Rick Wartzman: Obscene in the Extreme: The Burning and Banning of John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath

This should be really good, me thinks. And especially for you because I know how much you like Steinbeck and that particular book :)

Lesley McDowell Between the Sheets

Hehehe! I do hope you enjoy it as much as I did. However, I warn you, if you do enjoy it, you'll be adding at least about 20 new titles to your wishlist...

Edited by frankie

.. My Mum is lovely but odd (as you might expect ) .. she doesn't believe in the moon landings (and this is where she might have fallen foul of Brian Cox because he banished all moon landing sceptics from watching his programme .. however I'm pretty sure she WASN'T watching his programme having long ago decided that he is some sort of disaster mongerer.) She doesn't believe in global warming either .. get's quite heated if you talk about it .. doesn't believe it was caused by man anyway and puts David Attenborough in the same box as Brian Cox.

:D I have no idea who Brian Cox is, but anyways, that's hilarious! However, apart from your Mum not believing in the moon landings etc, I've gotten the idea that your Mum is pretty awesome. What with the big, amazingly delicious sounding and looking meal she cooked (was it during Christmas time perhaps... hm...), and she's even on FB, I've noticed, and the few posts I've seen her written to comment on your pics etc, she sounds really nice :smile2: You would never get my Mum to join FB!

Well, it's not working too well. I'll try to start being more disciplined this week. I still haven't finished Catch-22 or Coffee at Luke's. I've been reading them far too long. Actually, I've hardly read anything from either book in the past few weeks.

But it was working very well, you flew right through I Want It Know and some other book (I've forgotten the title), didn't you? Besides, Catch-22 is a re-read so I believe that's why you're not reading it in huge chunks, not being able to put it down. I know you love it, but you are now re-reading it and savouring every tiny bit of it, right? ;) And Coffee at Luke's is non-fiction, that's not always something one reads in one sitting. I bet if you read something fictional, you'd be turning the pages so fast the book might catch fire! :smile2::friends3:

Ha, yes, Ginsberg stands out a bit doesn't it?

It does, because it has a bit of an unusual cover, and also because I've got a copy and I'm familiar (and in love!) with it :giggle:

Dad didn't say anything about more bookcases. Maybe he's finally resigned himself to the idea!

:lol: Maybe when it was still him and your Mum against you, he felt he could be more vocal because he had back up. Now that your Mum has joined the ranks and taken to the other side, he might consider it more wise to not say anything about the subject :giggle: He knows it's useless now!

When I first moved in, I was determined to keep all of my books in one room for some reason. But now they've well and truly overflowed and I quite like the idea of having books in all rooms.

I was a bit scared about the idea of you having to branch out to other rooms now, but when I saw the pic of the bookcases in the livingroom, I was relieved: it looked very nice (I love the colours in your livingroom, the COUCH and the walls) and I really like it that you've put all your books about books and that sort of stuff there. I like the idea that you are going to dedicate your library to fiction and have non-fiction in other rooms :smile2:

Aww, you needn't feel bad! I know you have my best interests at heart (well, and your own interests too! )

Am I awful if I confess that now it's my own interests that are first and foremost at heart? :blush: Hehe!

Dad didn't say anything about more bookcases. Maybe he's finally resigned himself to the idea! When I first moved in, I was determined to keep all of my books in one room for some reason. But now they've well and truly overflowed and I quite like the idea of having books in all rooms. There's a space on the wall in my kitchen where I can fit a shelf just big enough for my cookbooks. I have all of my editing and English language books in my study now. Eventually my library upstairs will be for fiction books only, and I'll move the rest of my non-fiction books downstairs when I get another bookcase. It's going to look quite nice having one wall (albeit the short one) covered in bookcases.

Isn't it just! I want to put a shelf in the kitchen for cookery books .. but it'll have to be when the kitchen is refurbished and goodness knows when that might happen. It's not handy having your cookery books in the basement (with very precarious concrete steps leading to it) I tend to try and remember the recipes rather than go look them up and, culinarily speaking, I'm not good when I'm ad libbing :D

I'll try to get some detailed pics up in the next few weeks.

:exc:yippy-yi-yay :exc:

Well, I didn't buy any books in January but bought one or two dozen in February! I'll try to behave myself again this month. I'm still within budget though (by about $1), so that's something!

well done you :smile:

I really want to read this, there's a doggy in there

Frankie .. DON'T READ IT!!!! It will break your heart. As a cat lover (though I like dogs too) I could just about cope with the ending but there's no way after falling in love with Timoleon .. which you will .. that you will want to read about his gruesome end. It will make you hate Dan Rhodes forever and I wouldn't want that :(

Did I say before that Daniel Radcliffe is going to play Allen Ginsberg in a new film about the beat poets? I probably did, my memory is shocking these days.

I have no idea who Brian Cox is, but anyways, that's hilarious! However, apart from your Mum not believing in the moon landings etc, I've gotten the idea that your Mum is pretty awesome. What with the big, amazingly delicious sounding and looking meal she cooked (was it during Christmas time perhaps... hm...), and she's even on FB, I've noticed, and the few posts I've seen her written to comment on your pics etc, she sounds really nice :smile2: You would never get my Mum to join FB!

Mum is awesome but she's a real nutjob. My niece posted on FB that she was in 'After Dark' which is a nightclub in Reading and Mum posted ... 'Auntie Kay said that it was really scary' .. because she was confusing it with 'The Woman in Black' :D Half the time her comments on FB make no sense at all. She joined in order to keep up with the family, she has children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren on there as well as lots of nieces and nephews etc. If she needs admin doing .. like photo's putting up etc she asks me to do it for her (so I have her password etc) It means that when I joined (which was AFTER her) I sent her my first friend request and then logged in as her and accepted me :D I couldn't wait for her to go on because she disappears for days (on FB that is .. she's not Agatha Christie or anything.) She cooks awesome roast dinners and I try and do them exactly the same but they never turn out as good .. she has some sort of magic roastie dust in her fingertips.

Brian Cox is a bit of a national sweetheart. He was in the pop band D:Ream (biggest hit 'Things Can Only Get Better') but went on to become a physicist .. and because he's relatively young and handsome .. he's wowing us all with TV programmes about the solar system etc. Despite having the same surname as him and him being a bit of a fave with Mums everywhere .. Mum thinks he's Satan :D

briancox.jpg

Am I awful if I confess that now it's my own interests that are first and foremost at heart? Hehe!

No we're all the same .. you're just admitting to it that's all :giggle2:Thanks for requesting more pics from Kylie .. saves me having to nag ask her (would giggle but am emoticon heavy already .. giggles again)