Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2012

Kylie

Karin Boye Kallocain (dystopian novel I've wanted for ages)

Yay for a dystopian novel, and one you've been wanting to own for ages! :)

Umberto Eco This is Not the End of the Book (a conversation about the future of books)

I hope it's also a prophetic writing!

Norton Juster The Annotated Phantom Tollbooth (woohoo! I splurged and bought it - it's gorgeous! :D)

Ooooh! :smile2: Kinda funny, when I just PMd you last night about the comment on the book in that TV show :D

Leanne Shapton The Important Artifacts and Personal Property from the Collection of Lenore Doolan and Harold Morris, including Books, and Street Fashion, and Jewelry (this book tells the love story, and I think break up, of a couple in the format of an auction catalogue).

Why is this familiar? I'm sure some people on here have talked about it. No, wait. Wait!! Noo!! It's the FTBC book!! The one the host talked about, when we were there, sitting at the audience? No?

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay! The author is Swedish and apparently committed suicide during WWII. :(

Umberto Eco This is Not the End of the Book (a conversation about the future of books)

I hope it's also a prophetic writing!

Me too!

Norton Juster The Annotated Phantom Tollbooth (woohoo! I splurged and bought it - it's gorgeous! :D)

Ooooh! :smile2: Kinda funny, when I just PMd you last night about the comment on the book in that TV show :D

That's right!

Leanne Shapton The Important Artifacts and Personal Property from the Collection of Lenore Doolan and Harold Morris, including Books, and Street Fashion, and Jewelry (this book tells the love story, and I think break up, of a couple in the format of an auction catalogue).

Why is this familiar? I'm sure some people on here have talked about it. No, wait. Wait!! Noo!! It's the FTBC book!! The one the host talked about, when we were there, sitting at the audience? No?

Yep, it's an FTBC book! I couldn't remember if it was one they discussed when we were there, or just on another episode, but it must have been the former. Was it Jennifer or the female guest that discussed it? Regardless, I remember Marieke then said she had also read it and enjoyed it.

Yay! The author is Swedish and apparently committed suicide during WWII. :(

Yay for a Swedish author! Although, RIP :(

Yep, it's an FTBC book! I couldn't remember if it was one they discussed when we were there, or just on another episode, but it must have been the former. Was it Jennifer or the female guest that discussed it? Regardless, I remember Marieke then said she had also read it and enjoyed it.

Hm, it might also be just from an episode we watched on telly but I kinda have a feeling we were there. It was Jennifer who discussed the book. Hm. I guess one would only have to watch the episode you and I were in to see if we were there :giggle:

Aha! I just quickly went through 'our' episode and it was indeed that one. It was the guest author that read it, and Marieke called it 'heartbreaking'. Better keep the tissues handy, then!

Aha! I just quickly went through 'our' episode and it was indeed that one. It was the guest author that read it, and Marieke called it 'heartbreaking'. Better keep the tissues handy, then!

Why would I have thought it was Jennifer's book, weird! Never mind, I do remember it was supposed to be great :smile2: But then again, you hardly ever buy books that are supposed to be crappy :D

Why would I have thought it was Jennifer's book, weird! Never mind, I do remember it was supposed to be great :smile2:

I guess we were both right, then. Me with the person who read it and you with the episode. :)

But then again, you hardly ever buy books that are supposed to be crappy :D

Yeah, I try to avoid those ones! :giggle2:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm feeling sorry for my sci-fi pals here who keep whinging (well, they are men :P) that not enough of us are reading sci-fi. They've inspired me to read a sci-fi book from my TBR pile. Now, there are several that I've been wanting to read for ages, so I'd like some help choosing which one to read, please! I've narrowed it down to:

John Brunner: The Sheep Look Up

Karel Capek: War with the Newts

Phillip K Dick: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Harry Harrison: Make Room! Make Room!

Yevgeny Zamyatin: We

Thanks Chrissy. :D I've been wanting to read it for so long (for that reason, too)...but then I could say the same about the other books as well! I really would like to compare and contrast it with 1984.

OK, I'm feeling sorry for my sci-fi pals here who keep whinging (well, they are men :P) that not enough of us are reading sci-fi.

Ooh, she giveth with one hand and taketh with the other (and is sexist with the other). Hang on, that's three hands :lol:

And we weren't whinging, we were commenting, but if that's what it takes to get you to read some sf then ... :yes:

Oh, and go for the John Brunner one - then you can let me know what his stuff's like :D

Edited by Karsa Orlong

I bought Charlie Chaplin's My Autobiography today, and then I came home to find a 3-volume paperback set of Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 hiding under my doormat (it only took 4 days to arrive from England!). It's a lovely set. I couldn't stop running my hands over the covers. :)

I guess we were both right, then. Me with the person who read it and you with the episode.

I love it when we're both right. It's much more enjoyable than when I'm right and you aren't, but you think you are.

:giggle:

Now, there are several that I've been wanting to read for ages, so I'd like some help choosing which one to read, please!

Phillip K Dick: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

That one! :)

Oh, and go for the John Brunner one - then you can let me know what his stuff's like

Heeeey! I'm not going to do your dirty work for you!

:lol: But would you mind doing mine for me? :giggle: You could read DADoES and let me know if it's any good :giggle:

I bought Charlie Chaplin's My Autobiography today, and then I came home to find a 3-volume paperback set of Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 hiding under my doormat (it only took 4 days to arrive from England!). It's a lovely set. I couldn't stop running my hands over the covers.

Nice purchases! :smile2: So tell me, how did the book shopping go yesterday, pretty please? I'm very curious!

Shows how clueless you are about some of the reading challenges going on in here ;):giggle2:Here's all you need.

The cheek! :lol:

But yeah, I've never looked at the reading challenges. Dealing with my own TBR pile is enough of a challenge :lol:

I'm amazed I've read 18 of the books on that list. Yay, go me! :lol:

But yeah, I've never looked at the reading challenges. Dealing with my own TBR pile is enough of a challenge :lol:

So... you don't care about the challenge, but still looked at the list and counted the titles you've read :D Mmmm'kay :lol:

I love it when we're both right. It's much more enjoyable than when I'm right and you aren't, but you think you are.

:giggle:

Hardy har har...dream on, Frankie! :P You know I have a reputation for being right all the time (a well-deserved reputation, I might add).

But would you mind doing mine for me? :giggle: You could read DADoES and let me know if it's any good

Well, I went with Chrissy's suggestion and started reading We, but maybe DADoES won't be far behind. ;)

Nice purchases! :smile2: So tell me, how did the book shopping go yesterday, pretty please? I'm very curious!

Yep, I went shopping and did reasonably well. I'll post my list eventually, once I get my other recent purchases sorted. I'm so disorganised!

So... you don't care about the challenge, but still looked at the list and counted the titles you've read :D Mmmm'kay :lol:

Hehehe. Maybe you should post the link to the 1001 challenge, Frankie. That'll keep him busy for a while. ;)

Of course! It's a bit like asking me to walk past a bookshop and not go inside :lol:

Hehehe. Maybe you should post the link to the 1001 challenge, Frankie. That'll keep him busy for a while. ;)

:lol:

I'll probably only have read the same 18 books as on the other list :giggle2:

Hardy har har...dream on, Frankie! :P You know I have a reputation for being right all the time (a well-deserved reputation, I might add).

You are entitled to your incorrect opinion! ;)

Well, I went with Chrissy's suggestion and started reading We, but maybe DADoES won't be far behind. ;)

Alright, fine, I guess I can wait! Hmph! :giggle:

Yep, I went shopping and did reasonably well. I'll post my list eventually, once I get my other recent purchases sorted. I'm so disorganised!

Well, you'd better get organised! I know you want to :)

Naah. Let him stew in his fantasy world ;)

I received a book in the mail today: Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus. Now, receiving a book in the mail is a pretty regular event at my place, but today was a little different...

The postie dropped off the package at the door, and I was in the middle of something so planned to collect it later. About 15 minutes after he left, though, I saw someone approach my door and then nick off with my parcel! 'WHAT THE :censored:?!' I have never moved so fast in my life as I did to get out the door and chase the person down. There were two people about my age standing at the bottom of the driveway (I live in a complex of 9 townhouses; we have a common driveway) and they had two shopping trolleys between them. I saw a girl putting my package in her trolley. :oMY BOOK! MY PRECIOUS BOOK!

As I went out my front door, I came level with an unfamiliar older guy strolling down the drive like he owned he joint (I realised later he had been wandering around looking for stuff to steal ). I asked him if he was with the other two people and he said they were just collecting old stuff. NOT MY BOOK THEY WEREN'T!! I went to the girl and asked her what the hell she thought she was doing stealing my mail (I was not quite as polite as that). She just calmly got my package out of a bag while I ranted and raved :motz:, and I took it off her, called her an unladylike name, then turned to walk away. Then she had the hide to take offence at me calling her a name (!) and kicked me in the butt!!! Yes! She really did! :angry:

I soooo wanted to take a swing at her :theboss:, but she was with two guys, and I had my precious book back, so I just walked out of kicking distance, called her the most unladylike name I know (still too good for her) and went inside to call the police. I could have had her charged with assault, but I was more worried about other people getting stuff stolen. I live at one end of a street full of units and townhouses, so they were just getting started. The police said they'd send someone out to talk to them. I hope they were able to stop them. Grubs! BOGAN GRUBS! :angry:

Years ago I used to be a very meek and non-confrontational person (no really, I was). But somewhere in recent years I decided I'd had enough of the regret I felt for not speaking up for myself at various times. :irked: I'm very proud of myself for going after them and claiming my book back. There is nothing I won't do for my books. :wub: *strokes them lovingly*

Moral of the story: Never mess with a book lover and her books! :7_mad: