TWILIGHT Saga by Stephenie Meyer

KW

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started to Eclipse today. Though this series and quite enjoyable (and the first series I've ever read), it's things about the book that turns me off. I am a woman who doesn't believe in marriage and doesn't want children for the simple fact of not wanting to be tied down to anything or anybody. I believe that women should be independent, and able to think freely without a man helping them through anything in life along the way. So, I guess this is why I have issues with this series.

Here you have Bella, a girl from age 16-19, that is lost in love, weak, and emotional. Things that women have been conditioned to and keeps the opposite sex looking down on ours. Bella's mind is on Edward 24/7. She abandons her friends for him, falls into a deep depression for him, and even almost lose her life many times over him. This is another female that loses herself to a guy. I am very disappointed in Stephenie, being a female herself, would make Bella this way. This series is being read by young girls all over the world, and the last thing they need is to be introduced to another weak female that loses her identity to a guy.

I am surprised other females don't find this to be a problem.

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer, are a brilliant collection of books in my opinion. I stumbled upon Twilight in borders, a long time ago now. I picked it up and random, some would say it jumped out at me, who knows. I read it, and knew at once that I was going to love it, and any others she would do. I passed the book on to a friend to try out, and from there the series hit my school like a whirlpool. Everyone I knew was reading it, even people that I didn't even read that much. I was amazed that I'd got so many people into the books, and was pretty pleased. :D Some people weren't impressed with the ending to Breaking Dawn, but I was.

The fact that a fight didn't take place was good in my opinion. Others say that it let down the series, but I disagree.

I thoroughly enjoyed each one of the books, and would recommend them all to people who enjoy a good, action-packed novel. :lol:

Edited by Ben
*Spelling mistake, I'm fussy like that..

I can't believe how some people have really bad things to say about twilight,

either stephenie meyer is a genious with writing, or she has been in enough relationships and admired enough people to get every emotion (fear, love, sadness, rachahah) spot on

10/10 and I love everysingle last book

lets keep praying that S.M finishes midnight sun, apparently, Rob Pattinson is the one who leaked it :0

I can't believe how some people have really bad things to say about twilight,

either stephenie meyer is a genious with writing, or she has been in enough relationships and admired enough people to get every emotion (fear, love, sadness, rachahah) spot on

10/10 and I love everysingle last book

lets keep praying that S.M finishes midnight sun, apparently, Rob Pattinson is the one who leaked it :0

That would actually be quite funny if it was true :lol:.

She has to finish it - I couldn't read it properly on the computer, I much prefer a proper book. And I don't think she could dissappoint her fans....

I think shes being an attention seeker. She wants the world to start chanting 'we want more! we want more!' Well go away Miss Meyer, keep your Midnight Sun.

(I'll buy a copy in secret later. :lol:)

I think shes being an attention seeker. She wants the world to start chanting 'we want more! we want more!' Well go away Miss Meyer, keep your Midnight Sun.

(I'll buy a copy in secret later. :lol:)

She probably is being, your right. But we all know it's because she knows that her series has become so popular, and that she'll get away with it. Of course, I'll also buy.. will be interesting to read it from another point of view.

apparently, Rob Pattinson is the one who leaked it :0

:lol: How typical for everyone to assume that. He was provided with a copy so he could put a bit more depth to Edward when he portrayed him. But Stephenie knows who leaked it...and it wasn't him. Bless him!

I would also like for Midnight Sun to be published. For a long time, I didn't. But I've decided that it could only add to the Twilight series and my enjoyment! (And all other Twilight fans obviously). I'm also very intrigued to find out Edward's perspective on things. For example, the meadow scene, the ballet scene and his less-than-perfect (yay!!) thoughts on Jacob!

:lol: How typical for everyone to assume that. He was provided with a copy so he could put a bit more depth to Edward when he portrayed him. But Stephenie knows who leaked it...and it wasn't him. Bless him!

I would also like for Midnight Sun to be published. For a long time, I didn't. But I've decided that it could only add to the Twilight series and my enjoyment! (And all other Twilight fans obviously). I'm also very intrigued to find out Edward's perspective on things. For example, the meadow scene, the ballet scene and his less-than-perfect (yay!!) thoughts on Jacob!

Your certainly right about that, it's going to be great to see Edwards thoughts. :D

Some people weren't impressed with the ending to Breaking Dawn, but I was.

The fact that a fight didn't take place was good in my opinion. Others say that it let down the series, but I disagree.

I thoroughly enjoyed each one of the books, and would recommend them all to people who enjoy a good, action-packed novel. :lol:

I agreed with this, actually, as unpopular as this opinion has become. :D I too was glad about the ending -- I think

if a fight was created here, there would have had to be some loss of life on both sides, and it would have had to be someone that made an impact (i.e. Carlisle, Edward, Bella, Jacob), otherwise I would have been like "Oh Rosalie died? That's sad.." but it's not the same as losing a major character. And if it HAD been someone major, I would have been upset that there's not another book in the series to show (in detail.. not in a 2 page epilogue) how life changed after the death.

Plus I just like it when things end up nice and happy and everyone gets along. :D *warm & fuzzy*

I agreed with this, actually, as unpopular as this opinion has become. :D I too was glad about the ending -- I think

if a fight was created here, there would have had to be some loss of life on both sides, and it would have had to be someone that made an impact (i.e. Carlisle, Edward, Bella, Jacob), otherwise I would have been like "Oh Rosalie died? That's sad.." but it's not the same as losing a major character. And if it HAD been someone major, I would have been upset that there's not another book in the series to show (in detail.. not in a 2 page epilogue) how life changed after the death.

Plus I just like it when things end up nice and happy and everyone gets along. :D *warm & fuzzy*

Stephenie Meyer managed to come to a compromise with what you have just said, that's why I loved it. :lol: Despite people voicing bad opinions about the ending, I'm sure Miss Meyer will feel a lot happier in herself.

Some random information ~

Stephenie Meyer herself says in Moviefone Unscripted that she knows who leaked 'Midnight Sun', and she knows it wasn't Rob.;)

This is a comment from Stephenie on her website:

"I have a good idea of how the leak happened as there were very few copies of Midnight Sun that left my possession and each was unique. Due to little changes I made to the manuscript at different times, I can tell when each left my possession and to whom it was given. The manuscript that was illegally distributed on the Internet was given to trusted individuals for a good purpose. I have no comment beyond that as I believe that there was no malicious intent with the initial distribution."

I finished Twilight last night, and I have to say I was rather disappointed. I nearly gave up in the middle, but carried on as so many people raved about it on here, so I hoped it would get better. I didn't think the characters were terribly well written, rather flat and stereotypical. I thought the plot was obvious, and the emotion poorly written. The only part that slightly intrigued me was:

the part about how Alice became a vampire

I am now wondering whether to plough on with the rest of the series or not. Is Twlight the best of the bunch? Do we learn anymore about Alice?

*ducks to avoid flying objects hurled by Twilight fans* ;)

I finished Twilight last night, and I have to say I was rather disappointed. I nearly gave up in the middle, but carried on as so many people raved about it on here, so I hoped it would get better. I didn't think the characters were terribly well written, rather flat and stereotypical. I thought the plot was obvious, and the emotion poorly written.

YUSS!! Welcome to my world baby!!

It sucks, right!?!?!

Sadly, I love it all the same. I acknowledge everything you just said and I endorse it. But I just loved its POTENTIAL so much, that I love the books. The series gets worse and worse - even I thought Twilight wasn't too bad. By the time you get to Breaking Dawn you'll be in tears - and not in a good way.

Still, I plowed on with it, and much as I hate it, I loved it overall ;)

Ha ha! You just made my hubby and I laugh so much at your description of the books. ;)

Perhaps because I had read all the hype, I was hoping for so much more. It was a nice easy (and cheesey) read though.

Yeah, well I was lucky. I was told by my friend's girlfriend to read them, and by my friend that if I actually liked them he wouldn't talk to me anymore :) So I knew they weren't going to be great. They're very easy and light (most of the time) but theres just such a big world and such great characters that need so much more development!

One of my guilty pleasures last year was reading the Twilight series over the summer. Over my two week holiday (when it poured with rain most of the time!), I read the books three times in a row. I know they're not very well written and there are faults with the books, and I know that as someone who is well past her teenage years these books aren't aimed at me, but they completely captivated me!

I think I'll be keeping these on my bookshelves - no charity shop for this lot!

I have to admit that the only reason I read the Twilight series was because Robert Pattinson has the role of Edward Cullen and he is absolutely gorgeous ;).

But once I started reading them I was hooked and read all three books in about 4 days and I am desperate for 2nd of August to come for the next book.

I do hope that S.M gets rid of that awful Jacob Black cos he just ruins the book for me personally.

x x

Jacob Black annoys me so much in Eclipse! He really is awful and takes advantage of situations!

I give the books 10/10 because of the romance - I'm not a girly, chick-lit book type so this is a kinda good balance because I get the action, but not too girly love story.

I loved New Moon - it even made me cry and only one other author has managed that - JK Rowling - and was annoyed with Eclipse but I still loved it anyway. I feel pretty involved with the characters at the moment lol

I finished Twilight last night, and I have to say I was rather disappointed. I nearly gave up in the middle, but carried on as so many people raved about it on here, so I hoped it would get better. I didn't think the characters were terribly well written, rather flat and stereotypical. I thought the plot was obvious, and the emotion poorly written.

*ducks to avoid flying objects hurled by Twilight fans* :lol:

Hopefully you haven't gotten hit by any objects yet ;)

I can totally understand your stance on this series.. I liked the books but I also didn't expect the world from them. I haven't read a Young Adult book in so long that I don't even know if they're up to par with most YA books/series/etc .. basically I expected that it would be lighter, more basic reading than most of the books I read -- even the chick lit ones. AND I am NOT into vampire/fantasy series (don't even like Harry Potter much) so I totally expected to hate the subject matter. ;)

I didn't expect a lot (despite all the hype -- I think it's hard to have low expectations when something is so hyped up!) so didn't have anywhere to fall really. :)

Twilight was one of my fav ones of the series (so you may really hate them all! :)) but I also liked the 3rd and 4th (as unpopular as the 4th one is). I will say that when I finished the series, I wasn't sad to be done -- some books I hate that they're over. With this one, maybe because it was so long, I was glad to be able to be done and move on to something else. Good luck if you decide to read anymore! I do hope you start enjoying them a bit more. :lol: