TWILIGHT Saga by Stephenie Meyer

KW

I finally gave in and read Twilight last week. I finished it in less than 2 days, so I definitely agree that it's addictive and a real page-turner. It's not as well written as Harry Potter though and the way people were talking about it made it sound like it is the next Harry Potter.

I am in love with Edward Cullen, even if I do find Bella & Edward's age difference a bit odd haha.

lol, I see you like Harry Potter very much :lol: Those books were my favorite for a very long time, but I liked Twilight more.. :smile2: and the rest of the books that followed :lol: Have a nice time reading the rest of them ^^

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Twilight, and will start on New Moon tonight. I'm not reading the book because of the film that just came out (it's just the timing that makes it look like it - I haven't even seen the movie), but because I did start reading it at one time awhile ago, but due to some dumb actions on my part, my mother decided to donate the books before I finished the first book. It was only recently that I got her to get me the books again, and this time I'm not letting her donate the books!

Anyway, I intially didn't want to read the books, since I'd heard they weren't that great, but I let my curiousity get the best of me and decided to read the books. I'm glad I started reading the first one. I really enjoyed it and I can see why so many people like it. I couldn't put the book down! My favorite characters are the Cullen family. They all just seem pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I found out about the Twilight saga only last month, bought them all, read them in a week and fell in love. I read the blurb and was put off initially as I usually stick to books about humans as I find anything else hard to believe. But I decided to give them a chance when I heard about the hype surrounding them. I'm so glad I did. I'm a huge Twilight fan now!

I would rate them 10/10 :)

Don't think they're well written.

Very engrossing, but not the kinda thing that would make you think Meyer is immensely talented. Shes not. Shes a vampire fangirl who had a dream one night and wrote it down.

And much as I adore the books (and I do) I though Book 4 (Breaking Dawn) was utterly ridiculous, as did everyone else I know who loved the books.

What did you guys think?

I don't know. While it is true that it's not like the other books were (for starters I couldn't relate to Bella anymore :D ), I think it's a pretty nice wrap up for the series. And they all lived happily ever after yadda yadda yadda. (what can I say, I love happy endings :) )

Plus aren't you curious to know how Edward got to read Bella's mind after all? :lol:

And much as I adore the books (and I do) I though Book 4 (Breaking Dawn) was utterly ridiculous, as did everyone else I know who loved the books.

Talk about a disappointment. And why the :D did Stephenie Meyer let Jacob :) Black narrate part of the book - I would have preferred anyone else, not necessarily Edward but anyone else to give their point of view. But that's just because I'm Team Edward and despised Jacob :lol:.

I wasn't too fond about Jacob either (nor am I now). Nevertheless I absolutely loved the titles of the chapters he narrated (such as "Why Didn't I Just Walk Away? Oh Right, Because I'm An Idiot." and "What Do I Look Like? The Wizard Of Oz? You Need A Brain? You Need A Heart? Go Ahead. Take Mine. Take Everything I Have."). I think the author chose him because not only he was there all the time but he also was deeply involved in the story (and could see the situation with the eyes of an outsider too). While at first I didn't like the idea of him taking over, I grew used to it and it didn't bother me after a while.

All in all, I'm not trying to over defend the book, I don't want to make you read it nor do I say it's a masterpiece. Thing is I myself have enjoyed it (more or less) and been even captivated by it at times, and I found it a good ending to the series (not that it came as a surprise that Edward and Bella remained together, I'm talking about the rest of it, i.e. what happened to Jacob :D ). I read a lot of critical opinions on it before starting reading and almost everyone advised me not to read it. Well I did it nevertheless (out of curiosity) and in the end I am glad I did. Which sort of explains why I am defending it now :)

Apparently its something to do with Steph's religion... or so I'm told.

And yeah, New Moon was brilliant otherwise, just shorten the middle and extend the bit in Italy and away we go.

It'll be interesting to see how the New Moon movie copes with Not-Much-Edward.

WHOOPS! Posted at the same time. The above was for rach.at.the.disco.

Regarding the ending for Jacob, I saw that coming as soon as I read about the similar event in book 2 or 3, whichever it was.

Edited by Nollaig

Edited my last post and nothing happened so I'll try again:

From the author's site:

Why the name Renesmee?

Well, I couldn't call her Jennifer or Ashley. What do you name the most unique baby in the world? I looked through a lot of baby name websites. Eventually I realized that there was no human name that was going to work for me, so I surrendered to necessity and made up my own. I don't approve of such shenanigans in real life, I don't even believe in getting creative with spellings for real kids! But this was fantasy, and no human name fit, so I did the best I could. I named Renesmee so long ago—Fall 2003—that the name now sounds really natural to me. It wasn't until people started mentioning it that I remembered, "Oh, yeah, it is a weird name, isn't it?"

and also about Bella's feelings for Jacob:
Does this love devaluate her love for Edward? Not for me. For me, it makes that perfect true love stronger. Bella has another option. She has a really good one. An option that's easier in many ways, that takes nothing—like her family, present or future—away from her. She would have love, and friendship, and family—an enviable human future. But she chooses Edward over all of this. This makes it real for me.

@RoxiS.C. : Wow, I never saw it coming although I know exactly what event you are referring to. I never thought that Renesmee would exist back then so what actually happened never crossed my mind :D

I read that blurb about the name she came up with. I can't remember where I heard the Mormon thing. Not that it really matters, I actually like the name Renesmee.

As for the thing that happened with Jacob, i knew about the general outline of book 4 because i read it, so as soon as I read about the other event in book 2 or 3, i thought 'oh yeah, thats how jacob will get a happy ending in book 4.'

and also about Bella's feelings for Jacob:

Quote:

Does this love devaluate her love for Edward? Not for me. For me, it makes that perfect true love stronger. Bella has another option. She has a really good one. An option that's easier in many ways, that takes nothing