TWILIGHT Saga by Stephenie Meyer

KW

.........Can we throw spoilers around like that?? =/

Anyway, yeah its totally creepy. Nothing can justify that, not even

that its platonic til she's 6 or whatever.

Edited by Nollaig

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I have to say that I have just started reading the book Twilight and I am finding it isn't living up to its hype at the moment! So I am a little disappointed. My main criticism is that although Bella hasn't actually found out for certain that Edward is a vampire, we as readers know that he is because of the blurb on the back.

Has anyone else found this a little frustrating? And please tell me it gets better?

Lollylulu

Hi all,

I have to say that I have just started reading the book Twilight and I am finding it isn't living up to its hype at the moment! So I am a little disappointed. My main criticism is that although Bella hasn't actually found out for certain that Edward is a vampire, we as readers know that he is because of the blurb on the back.

Has anyone else found this a little frustrating? And please tell me it gets better?

Lollylulu

I'm more than a little biased as I love the Twilight series. I found it gripping from the very beginning though so maybe it's just not your type of book. I would recommend finishing it anyway. I didn't personally find Bella not knowing frustrating at all. I was eager for her to find out though, but that just made me want to read more.

:D

Thanks BookBee!

It is picking up a bit more pace now so I'm really hoping it's going to get better. I have to admit it is not something I would usually pick up but my students (I am a secondary teacher) recommended it to me and what with the film about to be released I had to read it first!!

I'll let you know what I think when I eventually get to the end!!

Lollylulu

My daughter read all of the books within a couple of days and was smitten, as were all of her friends. So, I just had to see what all the hype was about and read them too. I am still in two minds about the series, I guess mainly because I try to differentiate between who this series is aimed at and which group I actually belong to (in short aimed at teenagers :lol: and me being an old fogey :P)

When I started reading the first book I thought 'what has got into this girl to let herself being bossed around by this guy (vampire or not)' and I was actually getting a bit annoyed. But when I told my daughter about my misgivings she rolled her eyes and said 'Mum, remember when you were young?' and I have to admit that years of experience have somewhat turned me into a cynic.

Remembering back to when I was her age I still wore pink spectacles so I think people need to remember what age group this book is aimed at in order to appreciate it. Greatest story ever written? No, but it is a nice read and I think, if you are an adult, it might take you back to when you fell in love with someone you shouldn't have fallen in love with :D

Please, don't tell my daughter this as she adores the whole series and would see me lynched before hearing a bad word said about it :P. Oh, and yes, I thought it was good enough to warrant reserving tickets at the cinema this weekend :roll:.

Oh, and before I forget

Lexi,

Try the Vampire Chronicles by LJ Smith.

KW: Did you mean the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice or the Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith? I remember reading the first three books or so of the chronicles but have not tried any books by LJ Smith. Thanks :D

I just finished reading Twilight to see what all the hype was about. I think the plot was interesting and gripping, but for me the writing style just wasn't engaging enough. I felt like the unnecessary details and repetitious banter/descriptions of the characters got rather tedious after a while. But it was a nice, entertaining, easy read nevertheless. (It made fantastic airport reading. :) )

love those books. Though I think Breaking Dawn was a bit too fictionous... But still, Edward Cullen is every female being's dream :D

I've read the first written chapters of Midnight Sun (Twilight from Edward's perspective) and found it way more entertaining to read about it all from Edward's point of view. I hope Stephenie finishes the book eventually. And reading "Edward's thoughts" made me deadly curious about the remaining three books. So I concluded to myself that I'd rather read Twilight from a vampire's POV ^.^ And The New Moon might come out interesting after all. I hated all the Jacob-stuff there... So I almost skipped the middle of the book to finally get to the Edward part <3 xD

So I almost skipped the middle of the book to finally get to the Edward part <3 xD

me too :D

I actually hope Stephenie will one day write a book about Renesmee, I think it would be fun :D and Jacob might seems way better than he seemd to me in this books :D

I hated all the Jacob-stuff there... So I almost skipped the middle of the book to finally get to the Edward part <3 xD

Yeah, same for me as well. I remember reading somewhere that Stephenie recommends people read New Moon twice. Because the first time people read it, they rush it to see if Edward comes back so if they read it a second time, they'll enjoy the Jacob/Bella bit more. But I read it the second time and I still rushed it :D

I actually hope Stephenie will one day write a book about Renesmee, I think it would be fun :D

Yeah, I hope she does too. I'm intrigued to know what happens, from her perspective :D

I'm just about finished with the 3rd book of this series (Eclipse).. I don't usually get into vampire stories or things of that nature, but with all the hype and the nudges from a very good friend (also not into vampire stories) to look past the cover, I gave it a shot. Have loved them.. very entertaining, hard to put down at points, and slightly addictive. :D There was a brief period of travel for me where I got stuck between books 2 and 3.. I'd finished book 2 but didn't yet own book 3 and couldn't get it quickly. I was about to go crazy. :lol:

I hadn't heard about this series Meyer started from Edward's perspective.. The posts in this thread are the first I'm hearing of this. She started one of the books but hasn't finished it? What is the story with this?

Midnight Sun its called.

She was rewriting Twilight from Edward's perspective, and in her ever-lasting intelligence was handing out drafts left right and centre, and yet when it unsurprisingly got plastered all over the internet she had a hissy fit and said she wasn't writing it anymore. She then just put up what she had written onto her own website.

Its a pretty good read, considering its a draft, but its not even half the first book I don't think. It just stops abruptly.

Fans, naturally want her to complete it, but who knows whether she will or not.

Hmm.. interesting that she didn't protect it closely, then got upset when it actually got posted. What doesn't get posted to the internet these days? :D Still.. I'll have to check this out after I'm done with the series. Thanks for the info, Roxi!

No bother.

I'd recommend it to anyone - I'm a Twilight fangirl through and through but I'm probably the most critical person of the books in the Twilight camp. I really don't think they're written or executed well, HOWEVER - I think that Meyer just isn't very good at perspective. Reading Midnight Sun adds a new much-needed layer to the first book, and really allows you to see what was going on in Meyer's head while writing, as much as Edward's head. It made the first book infinately better for me.

Hopefully she'll finish it soon... My friend said that the final book in the series gives some perspective from Jacob Black, which sounds interesting. And I did like the bits in the second book that gave some perspective from Edward. I think I would tend to agree with you -- adding layer to this series could be a very positive thing from what I've read so far.

Yeah theres a Jacob section in Book 4. Like a few hundred KEY pages. I'm not a Jacob fan at all. He could have been a good character, but Meyer only put him there as a contrast to Edward (again with the poor execution) so I pretty much skipped that section. :D

If you like Jacob however you'll probably like it, and you'll get a giggle out of his chapter titles anyway because they're very funny. :lol:

My friend was a HUGE Jacob fan by the end.. He turned out to be her favorite character. I'm not there with her yet.. still an Edward fan.. but at least it's good to know there are some diff perspectives out there! I tend to get bogged down in the "La Push" stories and legends, so I'm hoping I enjoy the Jacob perspective in Book 4.

Yeah, its not even Jacob I don't like, its how hes portrayed. Hes a bit dodgy at times. However the Jacob perspective includes vampires, especially towards the end, so its bearable haha.