Gardening

muggle not

My sister, my aunt and I cleared out my Mum's garden a few weeks ago, the only thing that seems to be growing is the rubarb, it is looking pretty good too. My aunt is planting something soon, but for the life of me, I can't remember..

;)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish that we would get some rain. I planted a Shasta Daisy called "Broadway Lights" and a yellow Cone Flower recently. I also planted a Roma tomato plant in the veggie garden for use in pasta sauce. This is what the Shasta Daisy is supposed to look like when mature.

4xvrk1y.jpg

They are so pretty x

I really wish the rain would stop, even if it's just for a day

It looks like my wish may come true...on the BBC website it says the weather for where I live on Friday is sunny and 23!! Keep everything crossed! And even better I don't work on Friday so I can spend the day in the garden tidying up! ;)

I'm off to a big garden centre tomorrow with my mum. She's assured me that the weather is going to be good . . . hmmm . . . hard to believe right now!

Off to check my garden in a few minutes - we have a hedgehog visiting at the moment. We also think we may have had some ducks or geese in our garden yesterday - they left evidence!

Off to check my garden in a few minutes - we have a hedgehog visiting at the moment. We also think we may have had some ducks or geese in our garden yesterday - they left evidence!

That is lovely Judy! I would love to have wildlife like that in my garden.

Actually we have relatively little now that we live in the country. The most we had was when we lived in suburbian Surrey - my theory is that the countryside provides enough habitats for wildlife.

Often though you find out by chance that there is wildlife - it's a matter of happening to look outside at the moment that it's there.

Our garden wildlife is a little different here. At the moment we have a lot of lizards and birds nesting. The only problem with the nesting birds is that they attract the snakes and we have had quite a few since we have lived here. We also get bats flying around on an evening too.

We live quite close to a nature reserve where the flamingo birds come to migrate, along with other types of bird too.

You get used to the snakes though. I know it sounds strange, but they are quite scarred of you. I think we have a mutual respect and a kind of I will leave you alone if you leave me alone attitude! Its what comes of living near the mountains I suppose. I was a bit freaked out though last year when I went to do the washing up and found a lizard staring back at me ;) .

Nature is wonderful, if it stays outside where it belongs.:)

I've spent hundreds of pounds on plants today - I've been watching Chelsea Flower Show! I'd like a new patio, lots of David Austin roses , new dark purple bearded irises, a fountain .............

;) Excellent Angel! I know how you feel though as I watched it earlier as well!!!!!

Judy sad...

Actually we have relatively little now that we live in the country. The most we had was when we lived in suburbian Surrey - my theory is that the countryside provides enough habitats for wildlife.

Often though you find out by chance that there is wildlife - it's a matter of happening to look outside at the moment that it's there.

Strangely, I had the same experience. Now that I am back in the town, the garden is much more lively. I came to the same conclusion, that they don't need to risk going into gardens.

Pp

We are harvesting spinach, spring onions, and radishes from the garden. Spinach salads are really good. The tomato plants are doing nicely and all have little tomatoes on them. The cucumber vines are about a size where they will start climbing the trellis that I put in. Zucchini and squash are also starting to vine out. Pepper plants are starting to put on blossoms. Nice time of the year.

Spent most of today busy in the garden. We now have a robin who sits on our car - parked in front of our lounge window - and looks in at us - he's lovely!