• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Muggle, that garden is so beautiful!

Although our garden is small, we are very green with our garden, and use just water to grow the plants. It's so green that as residents, whether temporary or long-term, we have a frog, a thrush, a blackbird and a robin. We've also had all kinds of butterflies, a hedgehog and nesting bluetits visiting. In fact, it was only at the beginning of the summer holidays that Mum and Dad found a nest in the bushes!

I have planted a fig tree today and I was wondering if there is anything special I should be doing? It is in the sun against the fence and is about a metre and a half tall.

There are green figs on it as well, does anyone know how to tell when they are ripe please and also what should they look like inside please? I have only ever eaten dried figs so this is all new to me!

Thanks very much!

Have you tried googling 'fig trees'? I think I've seen information on the internet. If you've only had dried figs then you're in for a treat - I love baked figs they're gorgeous.

Just as an aside I asked my mum if she liked fresh figs taking it for granted that she'd probably had them. She admitted she hadn't and then quoted the line in the film Shirley Valentine in whichShirley says 'I want to eat figs in the place that they're grown' - I hope one day to have a fig tree - maybe then I'll be able to get my mum to try one!:)

I usually just pop them in a small ovenproof dish in a little bit of water and cinnamon and bake at about 200 for about 20 minutes. Before I bake them I cut a cross in the top of them to open them out a little. Jamie Oliver has a few recipes and Pizza Express serve figs with marscapone cheese on their dessert menu - gorgeous.

I'm sure I've read about fig trees fairly recently - can't remember where though - I will see if there are any articles in my Gardener's World magazines and will let you know if I find anything. All I know is that they like to grow in pots.

Lots of luck with it - must persaude OH that we need one:D

• 3 months later...
Can anyone tell me please how much and whereabouts I should cut my roses down to? Dad has told me that I should have done them by now but i'm not sure what to do....Thanks!

I don't do mine until late March.

Shouldn't do them now as they'll get frost in them as far as I know.

As to how far; as far as you like but get rid of any crossing stems or ones that come from the graft. I'm guessing you know how to prune?

Here's a nice guide if you aren't too sure :D

• 2 weeks later...