Gardening

muggle not

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purchased a Dragon fruit from Tesco about 2 months ago and sprogs wanted to plant the seeds which looked like frogspawn!

They have sprouted very well indeed so I potted them on yesterday:lol:

Must try that - my daughter wanted me to buy some exotic fruit so I'll plant the seeds afterwards. I planted an avocado stone that took ages to sprout but now that it has it's shooting up at a rapid rate!

My snap peas and sweetcorn have all popped their heads up today - it's very exciting! :D

Vegetable gardens are really exciting and fun. I have 7 tomato plants, 8 pepper plants, and today I planted seed for cucumber, zucchini, yellow squash, and a sweet basil, a lemon basil, and an Italian parsley. Oh yeah, I also planted some more spinach seed.

I've planted some mixed lettuce seeds, and they are doing quite well. :D Well, they've only just started sprouting, but I consider that good news. ;) My chives, coriander and parsley and growing strong, though they aren't quite ready yet. I can't wait to add more veggies - it'll help me eat healthier too. :D

I've planted some mixed lettuce seeds, and they are doing quite well. :D

I planted the free lettuce seeds that came with my Gardener's World magazine - they're doing well.

I got my revenge on the pesky weeds in my nice new borders today by mixing up enough path clear to cover a 10 square foot area in a spray bottle and zapped them all individually, if they survive that i really don't know what I'm going to do! ( I was very careful not to go anywhere near any plants that i wanted to survive!)

Vegetable gardens are really exciting and fun. I have 7 tomato plants, 8 pepper plants, and today I planted seed for cucumber, zucchini, yellow squash, and a sweet basil, a lemon basil, and an Italian parsley. Oh yeah, I also planted some more spinach seed.

Wow, my cucumber seeds are already up. I can't believe that it only took them 5 days to sprout from seed. I planted 3 packs of seed and will train them to grow up a trellis that I have put in the garden.

I tackled the front garden today, it was begining to resemble a jungle.....I have been concentrating so much on the back that i forgot all about the front :D .

I have decided that I am going to dig it all up and put slate down with a few "no maintenance" plants!

Some advice is needed. :D

Is it normal for coriander to be all spindly and collapsing under it's own weight? :( I've been growing them for maybe 2 weeks, and while they've grown quickly, they are all droopy and most of them are lying flat on the soil. :D Did I not plant the seeds deep enough, or will they eventually strenthen and stand upright? ;)

Hi Angel. I've got them growing in a greenhouse. If it's a nice day, I leave the greenhouse open so some sun can get in; otherwise I keep it closed. It has gotten a fair bit of sun, since the weather's been so nice for the last 2 weeks. Maybe that's why they've shot up so quick.

I tackled the front garden today, it was begining to resemble a jungle.....I have been concentrating so much on the back that i forgot all about the front :D .

I have decided that I am going to dig it all up and put slate down with a few "no maintenance" plants!

Photos please - sounds like a good idea. My mum did her front garden with just white (flowers) plants and interesting shapes. We've gone low maintainance - life's a lot easier!

Photos please - sounds like a good idea. My mum did her front garden with just white (flowers) plants and interesting shapes. We've gone low maintainance - life's a lot easier!

It will be a couple of months before i can do it as i need Dad's help so I will have to wait until he gets back from doing the Inca Trail (just incase he does himself an injury!) But of course I will post some photos :D

I think front gardens are better to be low maintenance as they do tend to get neglected...(well mine does anyway!)

Ahhh, thanks for the advice muggle not. :D My mother in law said that the reason they were so spindly was because they were growing too fast, but I don't know how to slow them down. :D I'll keep the stake idea in mind. ;)

Too much shade also makes plants tall and spindly.

My grandson helped me plant up a hanging basket at the weekend. We carried it over to the bracket, and the chain broke! Compost and slightly shocked petunias everywhere, Adrian has learnt a new word too.:D We bundled it all back together, and they seem to have survived.:D

Oh Wicci :D !! A similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago - I'd copied Alan Titchmarsh by putting a couple a clay pots in a much larger one and planted up some strawberries - it looked very nice - but the large pot slipped in my hands with the weight of it and I ended up breaking 3 pots :D

• 2 weeks later...

I wish that we would get some rain. I planted a Shasta Daisy called "Broadway Lights" and a yellow Cone Flower recently. I also planted a Roma tomato plant in the veggie garden for use in pasta sauce. This is what the Shasta Daisy is supposed to look like when mature.

4xvrk1y.jpg