Gardening

muggle not

You may have heard the term "sod buster", that was me yesterday. I was busting sod for my garden, not very big - 20 ft X 20 FT, with a tiller and shovel. I have it looking pretty good now. I went over the ground in 4 different directions with the tiller and spaded around the perimeter. Then I raked it and picked out most of the sod pieces. I am going to mix in a load of manure and compost and hope to get some things in the garden this weekend, spring onions, spinach, and radishes.

I know that Sofia does a little gardening, anyone else.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love gardening! :blush: I was out there yesterday making the most of the good weather, just doing a bit of tidying up and looking at all my plants budding.

Just got to wait for the grass to dry out a bit and then i can cut it and it will all look a lot neater!

I will be buying lot's of new plants at the end of the month so then i will be out there planting...

Yes I like gardening too. The ground here is very wet after all the rain we have had this spring, but thing are budding up. Our daffodils are not quite out yet but we do have one or two early tulips and the hellebores are looking fantastic.

A trip to the Garden Centre is almost a therapeutic as a trip to a bookshop.:blush:

Rennie said

A trip to the Garden Centre is almost a therapeutic as a trip to a bookshop.:blush:

Ditto! I love my garden. But I find it difficult to work it now with my knees and the fibro, so have to rely on keith. Its great to sit in the garden in the summer and be rewarded for all your hard work. Our daffs aren't out yet, but we have some lovely big crocuses out and a lone snowdrop!

crocus.jpg

I have no idea why this came out looking so blue. I think OH has been changing the setting, but anyway, I took this this morning. The flowers are actually, lilac in colour!

I'm fairly new to gardening, but i do love watching things grow and bloom. At the moment i have some mini daffodils out and loads of crocus', my tulips are starting to grow. Hoping for a nice day tomorrow so that i can plant my twisted hazel and weeping willow trees oh yes and a green gage tree and some chinese lanterns (all were birthday pressies :blush: ).

I enjoy gardening - I find it very therapeutic. I'm hoping to try and do a bit more but I've been very limited due to back problems. Lucky for me, my DH doesn't mind helping. I can't wait tfor it to dry out a bit so that I can get out there :blush:

Yes I agree - my mum and I occasionally meet up at Bridgemere, Nantwich for a day out - my sister can't quite get her head round this but both my mum and I love gardening. I've been going for low maintenance over the last few years as everything grows well in my garden and it quickly becomes a jungle!

I find garden centres a bit like book shops, I need extra strong willpower to walk out of there and not buy anything!

Today I went to Wilkinson's looking at paint and came away with seeds, seed trays, bulbs and fruit bushes! No willpower :blush:

This our Jasmine, ( I think it's Jasmine) which flowers profuselyspring through to November. Grows very fast, and has to be cut back. Very pretty though. Ours is in a sunny position, and quite sheltered, but I'm not sure what conditions it likes best.Pp

That looks lovely PP, i will have a look for one when i go plant shopping at the end of the month! :blush:

I bought some golden oregano and lemon balm at Bexley country market on Friday. Then at Hall place, the OH got a rosemary bush,some thyme and some miniature roses which adrian wanted for mother's day presents. We spent today repotting the roses, planting the herbs,and repotting a yucca that has survived so much bad treatment I thought it deserved a nicer pot and new compost. Clive did most of the work as like Angel, my back restricts me, but I do find I can do a fair bit if I can sit on my little gardening bench.

Wiccie said

Do Yews grow quite big? I've seen yew hedges in gardens, but only seen the trees in parks and churchyards. I quite fancy one as a hedge insread of the huge privet we inherited

Yes, but very very slowly. The ones you see in chuch yards are hundreds of years old. I think they can reach a thousand years or so. Which is just as well because my daughter had forgotten that my garden in Aberdeen is a lot smaller than the one I had before in Turriff.

I am going to plant a Carolina Jasmine near our screen porch. They are very fragrant in very early spring and have a pretty flower.

http://www.sd1new.net/GardenPages/carolina-jasmine.htm

Beautiful muggle! We have those all over the place...in full bloom right now. They come up wild too. We call it Confederate Jasmine though.

I can't wait for the honeysuckle to come out. :blush: