Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed The Little Giant of Aberdeen County I thoiught it was quite fairytale like and I really felt for Truly she wasn't all nice which is why I liked her more than if she had been just long suffering, my favourite character though was Marcus.

I am part of the way through White for Witching and its a good read but I am not sure where its going and am afraid that it might be one of those books where nothing really happens, the only thing I find confusing sometimes is who is doing the narrative as it swaps without warning. Saying that its quite and engrossing read and written quite poetically

Yes I liked Marcus too and Truly. I like books that are quite poetic ... I'm pretty sure they have WFW at my library so I'll look out for it now .. thanks Pickle :)

An advance copy of When God was a Rabbit arrived for me over the weekend, am really excited about this one!

ooh this is on my wishlist .. lucky you Lucybird :)

Busy couple of reading days here. Finished A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters, The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley, and just tonight Therapy by Sebastial Fitzek. Smashing!

Received in mail today

Therapy by Sebastian Fitzek

Cotillion by Georgette Heyer

The Private World of Georgette Heyer by Jane Aiken Hodge

The Queen's Lover by Vanora Bennett

Still reading 'Blue Smoke', just ordered from Amazon 'Caroline Moon'

Having read quite a few Nora Roberts in the past I thought you might also like some of the early Tami Hoag similar vein a bit of a mystery and a romance :D

I read a bit more of White is for Witching its a sort of little gothic fairytale book which sucks you in

Finished A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters,

Hi Pontalba, is this your first foray into the World of Brother Cadfael? If so, then I hope you carry on the journey with his other Chronicles. I read and re-read these books as I just love these stories. The "whodunnit" part is incidental for me as I lose myself in his world at Shrewsbury Abbey. A few years' back I did the Brother Cadfael tour of the City - it was fascinating. :)

Finished Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad and started yesterday Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (a lovely v-day present from my lovely boyfriend!). Don't know if I'll read much next couple of days, since we're going to Scotland...

I tried to pick up Falling Man by Don DeLillo again, I'd begun it at the start of the year. I don't think I'll continue, it's a bit too "navel gazing" for my taste at present. So, I still don't know what is next.

Iain Pears is one of my fave authors! Are you enjoying Stone's Fall? I loved that one. Have you read any Pears before?

He's one of my fave authors as well, glad I've found someone that likes him! I'm really enjoying Stone's Fall and glad you loved it. I've read some of his books before as well, The Discovery of Painting and The Raphael Affair. :D

I'm about two thirds of the way through The Eyre Affair and it's so good, I almost considered keeping going with it, despite the fact I have the niggling start of a headache, and I know if I carry on it will only get worse! But, I have resisted and put it aside for now :wink: Will hopefully finish it tomorrow.

I finished Everything is Illuminated last night. Brilliant book!

Now I've started on Mr Rosenblum's List by Natasha Solomons, and I'll be starting Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert alongside it.

I have made an unexpected detour on my re travelling in the footsteps of Thursday Next.

I have been a'kindling, reading a freebie YA book by Amanda Hocking called 'Switched'. A distracting and enjoyable read ~ enough for me to have spent a grand total of £2.98 to download the other two books in the trilogy. :D According to my Kindle I have read 85% of the book since last night.

I've made a little bit of progress on 'Giants in the Earth' the last couple of days, but hopefully I'll get close to finishing it on the weekend. I'm finding it so fascinating! It's like I'm following my pioneer ancestors as they head west :D. The people in this book took the same exact path some of my family did, so I really feel like I know what hardships they had to endure.

I've read about 40 pages each of Mr Rosenblum's List and Madame Bovary in the last day or so.

I also started Editors in Conversation, a collection of interviews of Australian editors done a few years ago. Hoping to get some tips for getting into the field. :)