Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

Hey pickle, I really wasn't expecting to enjoy Iron Council as much as I am, the synopsis didn't grab me originally but having loved Mieville's others I had to try and it is quite political isn't it which I would normally find somewhat boring but Mieville really does make it all interesting, his different races really intrigue me. I will be sad when it comes to an end, hopefully Mieville will return to Bas Lag sometime in the future.

Good to hear you loved The Owl Killers :) I read the Prologue on the bus home and I wanted to carry on reading it but will hold off till Iron Council is finished. Company of Liars didn't grab me as much, have you read it, if so would you recommend it?

Edited by chrysalis_stage

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey pickle, I really wasn't expecting to enjoy Iron Council as much as I am, the synopsis didn't grab me originally but having loved Meville's others I had to try and it is quite political isn't it which I would normally find somewhat boring but Mieville really does make it all interesting, his different races really intrigue me. I will be sad when it comes to an end, hopefully Mieville will return to Bas Lag sometime in the future.

Good to hear you loved The Owl Killers :) I read the Prologue on the bus home and I wanted to carry on reading it but will hold off till Iron Council is finished. Company of Liars didn't grab me as much, have you read it, if so would you recommend it?

I know what you mean about Mieville, I wasn't sure about this one, the synopsis didn't really give too much away I am probably not even half way through at the moment cause it is a difficult read but fascinating at the same time, I find the remades the most intersting and gross at the same time. I still think my favourites have been Kraken and UnLundun though.

I have read Company of Liars I bought it for my dad and read the Owl Killers first he then leant me Company of Liars and in fact I thought it was better. They are both really intersting set very realistically in Medieval times, both made me look up information I found out because of it and I love it when a book does that :D

@pickle:- It is definitely not an easy read but reading Mieville's bas lag books in proximity has helped me to stay in a mindset making it not hard. Kraken will be my next Mieville read and I can't imagine not enjoying it, excited to read it tbh. Oh I love that too! Company of Liars still doesn't grab me (so many books, so little time and all) but maybe one day, maybe after reading The Owl Killers I'll want to read more Maitland and Company it will be. :)

Edited by chrysalis_stage

I got a book in the mail today (one that I pre-ordered last year): EM Forster's The Machine Stops.

I'm hoping to get plenty of reading in this weekend, particularly of Mr Rosenblum's List.

I have read a YA trilogy on my Kindle this week, taking an unplanned diversion away from my Thursday Next series. Amanda Hocking's 'Trylle Trilogy' comprising of 'Switched', 'Torn' and 'Ascend' is a pretty ok read. I zipped through them in no time, wanting to know what would happen next in each book. A few minor niggles about a number of scenarios being a tad repetitive, but aside from those I enjoyed them. Fast paced and imaginative, I had only downloaded it as the first was free and the following two so cheap, but I'm glad I did.

About half way through Lost In A Good Book now. Also popped into Waterstone's this morning and bought my first "real" book since the 13th November! Tamara Drewe by Posy Simmonds - I've been meaning to get it for ages, and the film is out on DVD next month, so I figured I'd use my points on my card and treat myself :smile2:

I have given up on the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I am enjoying it less and less with each book.

Started Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut and it's quite funny so far. :lol:

Just finished You Can't Hide - Karen Rose

Oh I hope you liked it? :blush:

Nooooo, not again!

It came back! :D I finished Life Support by Tess Gerritsen at last. Good to hear yours is returning too! :friends3:

Oh dear...you need a cheer me up good read then :friends0:

Thanks :friends0: ... I started Therapy by Sebastian Fitzek, didn't you read this recently? Not sure if it's a 'cheer me up' kinda read :huh:

still really enjoying Iron Council - China Mieville it really picks up half way through the book and although becomes more political its written in such a rel that despite it being a fantasy novel ou can see parallels in the modern world.

also reading The Stonecutters wife - Camilla Lackberg this is the second of her books I am reading and the third in her series, unfortunately I missed the seond part and it wasn't in the library today. Its a very good Scandinavian thriller though, you can see the typical darkness of the thrillers.

I also managed to oick up a couple of books and an audio book in the library today. Audio Book is Phil Rickman's - To Dream of the Dead I have read this before but I am a big fan of his work so don't mind listening to it in the car. Also picked up Truman Capote - In Cold Blood and Jasmyn - Alex Bell a bit of diverse reading there :D

Currently reading ~ 'Room' by Emma Donoghue

Recent purchases ~ 'I am Number Four' by Pittacus Lore 'Sister' by Rosamund Lupton :bookworm:

I was very tempted by this in the bookshop today let me know if its any good :D

Will do pickle :)

Edited by Weave

Finished Restless yesterday & have now started on The Help by Kathryn Stockett .

Is this Restless the one by William Boyd? If so, I love it, and another by him The Blue Afternoon.

I got a 40% off coupon from Borders yesterday so I bought The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley :D. I'm soooo excited!!

Just finished that earlier in the week, loved it, have ordered the next in the series. :)

Hi Pontalba, is this your first foray into the World of Brother Cadfael? If so, then I hope you carry on the journey with his other Chronicles. I read and re-read these books as I just love these stories. The "whodunnit" part is incidental for me as I lose myself in his world at Shrewsbury Abbey. A few years' back I did the Brother Cadfael tour of the City - it was fascinating. :)

SueK, yes, this was my first Cadfael. I did enjoy it very much, and am assembling the entire series so I can read them in order. I've got 6 so far, out of the 20 I believe is the total. :readingtwo:

Thanks :friends0: ... I started Therapy by Sebastian Fitzek, didn't you read this recently? Not sure if it's a 'cheer me up' kinda read :huh:

I just this week read Therapy in what amounted to one sitting. :D

Fantastic!

I wrote a little about it on my 2011 books read list.

I loved that!

I'm really enjoying it, it's been on my TBR pile for awhile & I probably wouldn't have got round to reading it for awhile if hubby hadn't read it first & given it the thumbs up:)

Is this Restless the one by William Boyd? If so, I love it, and another by him The Blue Afternoon.

Yes it is, I enjoyed it as well. I've got a few by Boyd on my TBR pile, Blue Afternoon is one of them , a good man in Africa & I found Armadillo in a charity shop for 49p. A bargain I couldn't resist :D

Still enjoying English Passengers