Pickle's books 2011

pickle

20. The Enemy - Lee Child

I really enjoyed this one, unlike the other Jack Reacher Novels this one is set when he is still in the Army and in a time of change when the Berlin Wall is coming down. its fascinating because it shows the implications of the end of the cold war at the time for the American bases in Germany which I remember visiting when my dad was based there, they were like a little Amnerica in europe and I remember thinking it wierd that you used the Dollar instead of the Mark although I visited at the height of the cold war in the 80's and this is set a little later.

21. Daniel X Alien Hunter - James Patterson

This was another graphic novel as I am trying to expand my horizons a bit :blush: it was beautifully and colourfully illustrated, the story wasn't to bad either probably aimed at a younger audience though.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20. The Enemy - Lee Child

I really enjoyed this one, unlike the other Jack Reacher Novels this one is set when he is still in the Army and in a time of change when the Berlin Wall is coming down. its fascinating because it shows the implications of the end of the cold war at the time for the American bases in Germany which I remember visiting when my dad was based there, they were like a little Amnerica in europe and I remember thinking it wierd that you used the Dollar instead of the Mark although I visited at the height of the cold war in the 80's and this is set a little later.

That was one of my faves out of the ones I've read so far. A very tangled web, if I remember rightly. And it was good to see Reacher before he became such a blimmin' know-it-all :lol:

That was one of my faves out of the ones I've read so far. A very tangled web, if I remember rightly. And it was good to see Reacher before he became such a blimmin' know-it-all :lol:

It was very very good, I have given in and started another one now

22. One Shot - Lee Child

I know I know another Lee Child book, but I am loving them and therefore consuming them at a rate of knots and neglecting all my other reading. I liked this one because there was a suprise in the beggining and a twist half way through I did predict the ending but it in no way stopped me from enjoying it. In some ways thought the baddie was a bit rubbish in this one.

So I have given in to temptation and decided to start the other Lee Child book I have which I got from the library at the weekend its not the next in the sequence but I know that most of the books don't refer to any previous characters so its not really a problem, so my next book is 61 Hours. after that I must really start the China Mieville Iron Council as that will I know from experience be a complicated read.

Edited by pickle

Every time I see the title Die Trying I keep reading it as Tie Dying.

Something in me is broken.

:giggle2: never mind Tie Dying might be a good book

23 - Lee Child 61 Hours

I need to get away from my obsession with Jack Reacher thats for sure but its become addictive so this is the latest one of his I have read as I went out of sequence for this. it was good but I m sure all the descriptions I read about the cold made my house even more chilly than it was. I did manage to predict part of this book either because I am getting better but probably its because I am now so familiar with the author.

24 - Jayne Castle - Obsidian Prey (yay for romantic Thrilers :D ) and 25 - Jayne Anne Krentz (who is the same person ) Fire Up read them both already as they were easy reads. Easy Easy books perfect pick me ups for my weekend after a heavy night on Friday. :)

:lol:

So did you find that reading it out of sequence made any difference? :unsure:

LOL at Tie Dying :lol:

No it made no difference but thats one of the things I find so annoying in a way, he gets picked up by some goverment agency (lets face it in nearly every book its either the FBI, CIA, DEA or one of the other 3 initial groups) and yet despite his working (and saving the day :rolleyes: ) on numerous occasions for their benefit they ask him to seek out his connections from the army which he left years before and he appears to have forgotten any friends he might have made in the intervening years to the extent he saved the life of the daughter of the highest ranked political general (can't remember the exact title) in one of the early books and she worked for the FBI high up but he doesn't ask them to intervene rather he solves it getting rid of the baddies at the same time he must be in line for a godhood fairly soon..... I also wonder how often he changes his fold up toothbrush he never has any teeth problems and those fold up things are not that great :giggle2:

No it made no difference but thats one of the things I find so annoying in a way, he gets picked up by some goverment agency (lets face it in nearly every book its either the FBI, CIA, DEA or one of the other 3 initial groups) and yet despite his working (and saving the day :rolleyes: ) on numerous occasions for their benefit they ask him to seek out his connections from the army which he left years before and he appears to have forgotten any friends he might have made in the intervening years to the extent he saved the life of the daughter of the highest ranked political general (can't remember the exact title) in one of the early books and she worked for the FBI high up but he doesn't ask them to intervene rather he solves it getting rid of the baddies at the same time he must be in line for a godhood fairly soon..... I also wonder how often he changes his fold up toothbrush he never has any teeth problems and those fold up things are not that great :giggle2:

But apart from that ... :lol:

I do get the impression that Child aims for each book to stand on its own. It would be nice to have a bit more continuity between the books, I agree.

I keep wondering where Reacher gets all his money from, too. It may have been explained in an earlier novel but, if it was, I've forgotten the answer. Any ideas?

But apart from that ... :lol:

I do get the impression that Child aims for each book to stand on its own. It would be nice to have a bit more continuity between the books, I agree.

I keep wondering where Reacher gets all his money from, too. It may have been explained in an earlier novel but, if it was, I've forgotten the answer. Any ideas?

I went and looked it up as I knew I had read in one of them how he got his money he has an account with a bank but no ATM at least in the early books he has money wired to a local branch and he picks it up he has to use a password to get it...this is in Without Fail by Gone Tommorow he has an ATM but these are set post 9/11...he also carries around his old passport in this later one. His money source I guess is old army pension and the sale of the house mentioned in book Tripwire

I am a positive mine of all things Reacher now

I went and looked it up as I knew I had read in one of them how he got his money he has an account with a bank but no ATM at least in the early books he has money wired to a local branch and he picks it up he has to use a password to get it...this is in Without Fail by Gone Tommorow he has an ATM but these are set post 9/11...he also carries around his old passport in this later one. His money source I guess is old army pension and the sale of the house mentioned in book Tripwire

I am a positive mine of all things Reacher now

You are indeed! :lol:

Thanks for that. I thought I remembered he got a pay-off from the military - I suppose a pension kind of fits the bill ... :doh::lol:

26. - The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Graphic Novel.

This was the best of the graphic novels I have read recently to my mind it was by far the most traditional. I have to say I was only familiar with the characters from the 2003 film although obviously most of them appear in books but here they are heroes or anti heroes really fighting a mysterious enemy. The quality of the graphics was great much more what I would associate with this type of book, I liked all the little details and will probably go back at read it from the begining again to pick up more of these as you miss some for the sake of the continuity of the plot. There was a bizarre story at the end of the graphic section primarily about Allan Quatermaine which ended with the start of the main graphic novel and how he got into his opening sequence, it didn't really give him any back story but it was interesting although the type print was so small it was hard to read and the author had obviously decided that because there were only 1-2 accompnying graphics that everything needed to be described to the nnth degree. Overall though I liked it and will continue with my education into this genre.

I am part of the way through Gone Tommorow - Lee Child to continue with my Jack Reacher Obsession and started Chine Mieville - Iron Council last night as well although I know this will be a slow read, you really need to be completely isolated and concentrating to read any of his non YA books.

27. Don't Tell - Karen Rose

I did enjoy this book but I wasn't overwhelmed with enthusiasm partly because I had read a book years ago which had a virtually identical plot line to the extent the abuser was the husband and in law enforcment there was a period of hiding and finding. But my main gripe and its a big one is the relationship the main protagonist Caroline Stewart/Mary Grace Winters starts with Max it happens over the space of days that she after years of not trusting and hiding from men manages to fall in love or at least have feelings for a complete stranger who is her boss. Don't get me wrong I will try some more of her books but it might not be my first choice unless they have a different plot line.

26. - The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Graphic Novel.

This was the best of the graphic novels I have read recently to my mind it was by far the most traditional. I have to say I was only familiar with the characters from the 2003 film although obviously most of them appear in books but here they are heroes or anti heroes really fighting a mysterious enemy. The quality of the graphics was great much more what I would associate with this type of book, I liked all the little details and will probably go back at read it from the begining again to pick up more of these as you miss some for the sake of the continuity of the plot. There was a bizarre story at the end of the graphic section primarily about Allan Quatermaine which ended with the start of the main graphic novel and how he got into his opening sequence, it didn't really give him any back story but it was interesting although the type print was so small it was hard to read and the author had obviously decided that because there were only 1-2 accompnying graphics that everything needed to be described to the nnth degree. Overall though I liked it and will continue with my education into this genre.

Glad you liked it. It really is adventure comics at its finest. The second volume is even better, with an even more extensive 'traditional prose' section at the end. I can't recommend it enough. :wink:

I started reading Even - David Trevellyan and admittedly I have only just started I just hope it gets better so far he seems to have taken a Lee Child book (the reason I picked it because I thought it might be on a similar vein) and converted the 'hero' into an English black ops guy who has been framed for a murder and been picked up by the NYPD and FBI the brits have turned theor back on him and he is going to have to solve it on his own...now this I got from the first 20 pages and my heart is rapidly sinking, this is Jack Reacher and someone has simply changed the name and nationality and its not even a good imitation of him. well I will continue but if it doesn't improve I will be returning it to the library tommorow.

I have also started Barbara Nadel - A Chemical Prison I am very fond of this series of books so I will continue with this one and it will hopefuly be as good as her others.

I am saving my continuation of Iron Council - Chine Mieville until I have no distractions as it requires my complete concentration :rolleyes:

27. Don't Tell - Karen Rose

I did enjoy this book but I wasn't overwhelmed with enthusiasm partly because I had read a book years ago which had a virtually identical plot line to the extent the abuser was the husband and in law enforcment there was a period of hiding and finding. But my main gripe and its a big one is the relationship the main protagonist Caroline Stewart/Mary Grace Winters starts with Max it happens over the space of days that she after years of not trusting and hiding from men manages to fall in love or at least have feelings for a complete stranger who is her boss. Don't get me wrong I will try some more of her books but it might not be my first choice unless they have a different plot line.

Aw that's such a shame :( I honestly thought you'd enjoy it more. All the books follow the same formula though so I'm not sure if you'd enjoy any of them more. They actually remind me of J R Ward's BDB series only with hero/heroine instead of vampires/mates. Sorry you didn't like it more :blush:

Hey Charm, No worries I will probably read a few more of them, I just had a problem with having read such a similar book ages ago, I did enjoy it though I might have been having an off week. Btw I also have the new BDB on pre-order can't wait for it to come :D

28 Lee Child - The Hard Way

This was in no way the best of the Jack Reacher books not the worst either but the twists ansd turns were a little unbelievable he is omnipotent in so many silly ways and seems to have this paranormal way of predicting the twists and turns of the enemy.

This is the first time that Reacher leaves the US apart from the one novel set in his past, and he comes to England, in this you can see that Lee Child is actually English as he doesn't do what so many foreign authors do when portraying the Brits and the country he doesn't rely on a hollywood ideal of the UK he actually knows what the countryside looks like around Norfolk he dares to take it out of London which I imagine a lot of authors would have been wary of. Its hard to explain what I mean but you see so many people only knowing england (I am more familiar with England) through films and Tv shows which show such a small part of life here.

On another note I have given up on Even - David Trevellyan as it was just so badly written which is a shame as I had high hopes for it. So I am now trying to wean myself away from Jack Reacher and concentrate on Chine Mieville - Iron Council and Barbara Nadel - Chemical Prison.

One of the things I find so fascinating about China Mieville is the way he writes, its a sort of horrific fascination particularly in the New Curbuzon books Perdido Str Station / Iron Council and The Scar I remember reading Perdido Str Station and being revoilting fascinated with the idea of the remades, he manges to describe things in a sort of oily horribleness which draws you in and sort of revolts you at the same time, there are no real heroes and heroines but a lot of flawed characters. It takes a lot of time for me to plough my way through his books but they usually end up being worth the read even if I do find them hard going.

One of the things I find so fascinating about China Mieville is the way he writes, its a sort of horrific fascination particularly in the New Curbuzon books Perdido Str Station / Iron Council and The Scar I remember reading Perdido Str Station and being revoilting fascinated with the idea of the remades, he manges to describe things in a sort of oily horribleness which draws you in and sort of revolts you at the same time, there are no real heroes and heroines but a lot of flawed characters. It takes a lot of time for me to plough my way through his books but they usually end up being worth the read even if I do find them hard going.

I understand what you mean pickle, reading my first (won't be the last) Perdido Street Station and everything is sort of dirty and grimey. Yes the idea of the Remade are horrific. Doesn't seem to deter people from crime though...? Sort of quirky that everything is steam powered too.

28 Lee Child - The Hard Way

This was in no way the best of the Jack Reacher books not the worst either but the twists ansd turns were a little unbelievable he is omnipotent in so many silly ways and seems to have this paranormal way of predicting the twists and turns of the enemy.

This is the first time that Reacher leaves the US apart from the one novel set in his past, and he comes to England, in this you can see that Lee Child is actually English as he doesn't do what so many foreign authors do when portraying the Brits and the country he doesn't rely on a hollywood ideal of the UK he actually knows what the countryside looks like around Norfolk he dares to take it out of London which I imagine a lot of authors would have been wary of. Its hard to explain what I mean but you see so many people only knowing england (I am more familiar with England) through films and Tv shows which show such a small part of life here.

Is that the one that ends up in a farmhouse in the country? :unsure:

Re China Mieville, I too know exactly what you mean. Reading Perdido Street Station made me feel dirty - and not in a good way :huh::lol:

Is that the one that ends up in a farmhouse in the country? :unsure:

Re China Mieville, I too know exactly what you mean. Reading Perdido Street Station made me feel dirty - and not in a good way :huh::lol:

Yeah its the one where he ends up in Norfolk of all places.

Yeah China you got to love his way of fascinating and revolting you at the same time. :D

29. Chemical Prison - Barbara Nadel

This is not my first Barbara Nadel but the second in the series, its an interesting and well written crime novel set in Istanbul and its partly that which makes it so interesting, the main character Cetin Ikmen is a police inspector with great character and humour he is a non practising muslim who hates that religion is used by so many people in his city to justify its actions, the suppporting cast particularly his seargent and brilliant he is from the old ruling Ottoman class of princes his best friend and pathologist is an Armenian whose people have a turbulernt and violent relationship with Turkey. Its set in modern times but its a city which has such history and diversity it still affects the modern day. I love these stories and even though Barbara Nadel is and englishwoman she writes about the country and the people with sympathy and as if she really knows what she is talking about.

This book deals with the body of a dead young man found in an internal flat deliberately built into an apartment, he had been strangled but there was evidence of drug use. The story deals with the tense and troubling relationship between the turks and the Armenians and how one people does not see the other as individuals (a bit like saying all people of one race look alike). Cetin is forced to confront both his relaionship with his Armenian best friend and he in turn with being an Armenian doctor and his relationship with his people. The Seargent has to deal with his growing relationship with one of the members of the police squad and his unhappy forced marriage with his cousin of noble descent. Mix into this a squalid and historical city and its a fascinating read much more than just another crime book.