Pickle's books 2011

pickle

Ok after being persuaded by Janet I have decided to keep a list of books I have read this year, I admit I don't have much of a TBR list as I tend to buy and read as I go along.

so.... so far

The Passage - Justin Cronin ( I am going to count this though strictly speaking I finished it just in the beggining of the year)

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins

Trip Wire - Lee Child

Die Trying - Lee Child

Killing Floor - Lee Child

Guards Guards - Terry Pratchett (this is a re-read whilst I am waiting for my new books to arrive :D )

Men at arms - Terry Pratchett (this is a re-read whilst I am waiting for my new books to arrive :D )

Feet of Clay - Terry (this is a re-read whilst I am waiting for my new books to arrive :D )

Moab is My Washpot - Stephen Fry (about 3/4 of the way through this at the moment)

Making History - Stephen Fry ( only just started)

The Mousetrap and Selected Plays - Agatha Christie (again a re-read)

I am awaiting (should be tommorow :D )

The Visitor - Lee Child

Echo Burning - Lee Child

Without Fail - Lee Child

On Pre-order

lover Unleashed - J R Ward

ok will add to it and ammend as I go along

Edited by pickle

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My three books from Amazon arrived this morning

The Visitor - Lee Child

Echo Burning - Lee Child

Without Fail - Lee Child

thats me sorted for the next few days :D

I also need to pick up one of my reservations from the library its the second Maggie Stiefvater - Linger I had forgotten I reserved it

Hi Pickle,

What did you think of The Passage, it is a book that always intrigues me when I see it but have heard from others it did not live up to the hype. What were your opinions if you don't mind me asking.

I really loved the book, I hadn't read much hype about it I have to admit a couple of reviews on the BCF which were positive and the synopsis on the back cover drew me in because of its simplicity. It wasn't what I was expecting and not a genre I always enjoy. It was a slog but an enjoyable one mainly because its such a long book and if you aren't aware its not a complete book there will be another part, something I usually find annoying.

I liked the way there were time gaps in it, I liked the way it portrayed society and how it reacts to things, there was a certain amount of the old conspiracy stuff but it was well enough written for me to want to finish it to find out what happend to the characters who were diverse enough to be interesting. I am pretty sure someone wrote a really good review on here just can't remember who it was.

Read it I don't regret it one bit :D

Hi Pickle, I've got 61 hours by Lee Child on my TBR pile so I'll be interested to hear what you think of him as I've not read any of his stuff before.

Hi Kidsmum, I have now read the first 5 of his books and started in the 6th , I liked all of them except the 4th which I found a little predictable and thought there were gaps in the story, this may have been because I have read the other 3 in a row and thefore I wondered why the main character Jack Reacher didn't use some resources and connections he would have had from earlier encouters but I am guessing its because the author didn't want the books to be continuations...hmmm sayng all that I do recommend them I started from book 1 in the series but don't think you have to to get into them.

I started the 6th lee Child Jack Reacher book this morning Without Fail I will continue with this series I think as for the main part they are good books

I also picked up from the library

Linger - Maggie Stiefvater

The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie

The Iron Council - China Mieville

The Girl With Glass Feet - ali Shaw

so my list of reads in growing so far its 12

1.The Passage - Justin Cronin

2. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

3. Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins

4. Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins

5. Trip Wire - Lee Child

6. Die Trying - Lee Child

7. Killing Floor - Lee Child

8. Guards Guards - Terry Pratchett

9. Men at arms - Terry Pratchett

10. Feet of Clay - Terry Pratchett

11. The Visitor - Lee Child

12. Echo Burning - Lee Child

add in No 13

13. Without Fail - Lee Child

Edited by pickle

Hi Kidsmum, I have now read the first 5 of his books and started in the 6th , I liked all of them except the 4th which I found a little predictable and thought there were gaps in the story, this may have been because I have read the other 3 in a row and thefore I wondered why the main character Jack Reacher didn't use some resources and connections he would have had from earlier encouters but I am guessing its because the author didn't want the books to be continuations...hmmm sayng all that I do recommend them I started from book 1 in the series but don't think you have to to get into them.

Thanks Pickle, I'll check out his other stuff.

I started Linger - Maggie Stiefvater this morning I haev had it on order from the library since I finished Shiver last year, I was a little reluctant to start it as you get the sense that something you don't want to happen is about to which is silly I know but after the trauma of The Hunger Games I am not sure I can take any more young love being so hard :)

Hi Pickle - glad you're enjoying Lee Child. The first novel in the series, Killing Floor, was actually the last one I read :doh::lol: but I don't think it makes any difference as they seem to stand alone very well. I've got 61 Hours on the shelf waiting, and have got Worth Dying For on the Kindle ready to go! I think Die Trying and The Enemy are my faves so far :D

Hi Pickle - glad you're enjoying Lee Child. The first novel in the series, Killing Floor, was actually the last one I read :doh::lol: but I don't think it makes any difference as they seem to stand alone very well. I've got 61 Hours on the shelf waiting, and have got Worth Dying For on the Kindle ready to go! I think Die Trying and The Enemy are my faves so far :D

Hi Karsa, I do like the books and I am waiting for the next 3 to arrive in work today :D I agree with your Die Trying so far thats been my favourite as well. Its nice for me to find a series of books to read as I read so quickly its frustrating when there are only 1 or 2 and waitning for the next.

14. Linger - Maggie Stiefvater

this is the second book and a continuation of Shiver which I read last year. I did enjoy the book she writes it beautifully and I like swapping from narrator and narrator between Grace, Sam, Isabel and Cole its interesting getting the story from different points of view. I am not really being critical when I say I didn't enjoy it as much as some of the the other YA books the last lot I read were The Hunger Games which stands head and shoulders above this one really so is incomparable. I guess I don't understand the teenage angst and independence as I was so not like that as a teenager its hard for me to look back at when I was 17 and believe I could be anything like the characters with or without the werewolf story. I will read the next part when it comes out in the summer saying that.

15. Persuder - Lee Child

I think he was back on form with this book after a couple which were a bit slower, I guess the problem is when you read them all in a row you can see more problems with the characters and situations than you would be able to with the inevitable memory loss that comes from reading them with the gaps in publishing times (does that make sense?) I am really enjoying the series though and have decided that if I ever get into a mess I would like Jack Reacher to get me out of it :D

Hi Pickle! Yes, what you say makes perfect sense - I very rarely read two books in a row by the same author purely because of that. Glad you enjoyed Persuader, though - I haven't read it yet but it's on my radar as I hear it's one of the best Reacher novels :)

I have to ask: when you visualise Reacher in your mind does he look like any particular actor? There's been a big debate going on on another forum I visit about who should play him in a movie :lol:

Hi Pickle! Yes, what you say makes perfect sense - I very rarely read two books in a row by the same author purely because of that. Glad you enjoyed Persuader, though - I haven't read it yet but it's on my radar as I hear it's one of the best Reacher novels :)

I have to ask: when you visualise Reacher in your mind does he look like any particular actor? There's been a big debate going on on another forum I visit about who should play him in a movie :lol:

I have seen this discussion somewhere else as well no idea where though.

I thought about it last night its hard though because in my mind I have him as no one I know just a figure really and because its written in the first person you see inside their head and thats far harder to match to a physical being. I guess with the description in the front of the book I would go for someone like Daniel Craig especially the way he acts in the last couple of Bond films making quick reactions and thinking as he is moving which is one of the characteristics of the Jack Reacher someone who is trained to react to situations. He doesn't come across as a super brain but has a different type of intelligence which is about intuition rather than science.....will continue to think on this. The other thing is although I know he is I don't think of him as American or at least being portrayed by an American of that physical size (not sure that makes sense as I am having trouble expressing myself :D ....see I could never write a film script from a book )

16. The Night Watch - Terry Pratchett

This is another of the Guards series one which I like more than any other bar perhaps the Witches which is on pretty much equal standing. Its a re-read before bed for me as they are so easy and don't switch my brain on too much :D .

I really love the Guards series because I like the list of characters and my favourite is Probably Sam Vimes as he is the most real character who looks at the others he interacts with and reacts to them the same way we would. This is probably the most serious of the Guards books but retains its humour in a slightly more sarcastic way which suits the Vimes character down to a tee.

Started reading The Girl With Glass Feet - Ali Shaw this morning :D

I have seen this discussion somewhere else as well no idea where though.

I thought about it last night its hard though because in my mind I have him as no one I know just a figure really and because its written in the first person you see inside their head and thats far harder to match to a physical being. I guess with the description in the front of the book I would go for someone like Daniel Craig especially the way he acts in the last couple of Bond films making quick reactions and thinking as he is moving which is one of the characteristics of the Jack Reacher someone who is trained to react to situations. He doesn't come across as a super brain but has a different type of intelligence which is about intuition rather than science.....will continue to think on this. The other thing is although I know he is I don't think of him as American or at least being portrayed by an American of that physical size (not sure that makes sense as I am having trouble expressing myself :D ....see I could never write a film script from a book )

I know what you mean :lol:

Facially I reckon Daniel Craig fits the bill, I just don't think he's big enough. I've got this image of Reacher as being HUGE, and I can't think of any well-known actors who could pull that off.

Also know what you mean about the intuition. I must admit, certainly in the more recent novels, Reacher's omniscience has bordered on the ridiculous :lol:

I know what you mean :lol:

Facially I reckon Daniel Craig fits the bill, I just don't think he's big enough. I've got this image of Reacher as being HUGE, and I can't think of any well-known actors who could pull that off.

Also know what you mean about the intuition. I must admit, certainly in the more recent novels, Reacher's omniscience has bordered on the ridiculous :lol:

Yeah I can imagine Hollywood dumbing it down and getting someone like Vin Diesel or The Rock to play him and a few years ago someone like Hulk Hogan and what a disaster that would be :lol:

17. The Girl with Glass Feet - Ali Shaw

I really enjoyed this it took me very little time to read, its like a dark fairytale in a modern setting.

Ida Mclaird is a girl whose feet have mysteriously turned to glass and its starting to affect the rest of body, so she travels back to the island where it all started in search of a cure, she meets Midas Crook a man who is crippled emotionally by the actions of his parents. As they search for a cure for Ida they begin to fall in love.

I am not very good at reviews as I want to give the whole thing away all the time, suffice to say it was an absorbing read, not cheerful or full of action but very different from all the crime fiction I have been reading at the moment. :D

18 - Thud - Terry Pratchett

This is part of my continued re-read of the Guards series by Terry Pratchett, I have read them all in the past but needed something lighthearted when I went to bed. Although its not my favourite I love Vimes he is so funny, he goes through life with a consience and barely controlled rage at injustice

19 -John Constantine Graphic Novel

this is not my first graphic novel but the first of John Constantine although I was aware he was a character in these novels I had first come across him in the film with Keanu Reeves which although ok was made good by the Portrayal of the Devil by Peter Stormare one of the best I have seen for insiduousness....the book was Ok based on a reality show in a house of fear, I liked the fact that it didn't have a predictable ending, the quality of the graphics was ok but not great.

Yeah I can imagine Hollywood dumbing it down and getting someone like Vin Diesel or The Rock to play him and a few years ago someone like Hulk Hogan and what a disaster that would be :lol:

Oh gawd. I was intending to read 61 Hours next week. Now all I'll be able to see is a Jack Reacher who looks like Hulk Hogan :doh:

Thanks Pickle!! :irked::lol:

18 - Thud - Terry Pratchett

This is part of my continued re-read of the Guards series by Terry Pratchett, I have read them all in the past but needed something lighthearted when I went to bed. Although its not my favourite I love Vimes he is so funny, he goes through life with a consience and barely controlled rage at injustice

I've only read a few Terry Pratchetts (From the Discworld series: Thud, Going Postal and Feet of Clay) but I agree with you, I didn't enjoy Thud that much. Feet of Clay on the other hand was really excellent. I love Sam Vimes and the rest of the gang, could you recommend me other books about them that far surpass the quality of Thud?

I've only read a few Terry Pratchetts (From the Discworld series: Thud, Going Postal and Feet of Clay) but I agree with you, I didn't enjoy Thud that much. Feet of Clay on the other hand was really excellent. I love Sam Vimes and the rest of the gang, could you recommend me other books about them that far surpass the quality of Thud?

The three others which are great are Men at Arms which intriduces the characters of Sam Vimes. Nobby Fred Coln and Carrott, but I think my favourites are Guards Guards and The Fith Elephant, the other one The Night Watch is good but you do have to have read the others really.

Thanks pickle, I'll make a note of those books. Fortunately I already have Guards! Guards! on my TBR and I think I can find the others at the library. I think I need to reserve them though, they are rather popular over here and are always borrowed :)