Pickle's books 2011

pickle

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the 2's 222 -Tess Gerritsen - Silent Girl.

This is the latest in the Rizzoli and Isles series and it starts soon after the events of Killing Place, Maura Isles is giving evidence on a contraversial case against a policeman who murdered a cop killer. Her testimony in her usual cold fashio has not endeared her to the police she works with. She is called by Rissoli to a crime scene in mini China when the hand of a young woman is found at the location of a notorious murder suicide at a chinese restaurant many years before and they open a can of worms when events from the past appear to be reaching a climax now.

This was typical Gerritsen, she writes some of the best crime in her genre. Although I think Killing Place was better I liked that this one focussed more on Rizzoli and not Isles who is in fact more incidental in this appearing only a handful of times, and to me that is perhaps more real of a pathologist not one who gets herself completely involved and in danger at a crime scene a la Temperance Brennan (Kathy Reichs) and Kay Scarpetta - Patricia Cornwell where I have found myself groaning at the fact that these non investigative doctors insist of doing the equivalent of walking around a dodgy area with mug me written all over them!!!

223 - Lara Adrian - Shades of Midnight

I continue to read this series in dribs and drabs as she isn't a patch on J R Ward but it was going cheap on Amazon and I had just finished the above and was bored. :D

224 Burning Up - Various

A variety of short stories including Angela Knight and Nalini Singh loved ot paranormal fantasy...loved them great for a saturday morning read :wink:

• 5 weeks later...

Right I have left this far to long as usual so a quick round up here

225 - Always Angel - Heather Killough Walden

Dam you charm for gettingv me into another series (shaking fists) but this is a mere taster to what promises to be a good series featuring angels and their mates (sounds corny but what the hell) will look forward to the series as it develops this one doesn't really finish but I think she published just to get us all looking forward to a new book.

226 - Must Love Hell Hounds - Various

I was in need of a pick me up over the weekend so I thought I would give some of my fave authors a go on some of their compilations as you may have guessed it was a read hwich used few of my brain cells but kept me going. though the short story by Charlainne Harris was by far the weakest of the lot, maybe if she isn't writing about soookie this isn't really her genre.

227 - The Cornerstone - Nick Spalding

suprisingly I actually enjoyed this is was witty and well written a bit silly, teenage boy wanders into a library the only way a teenage boy can.... bored 9 I have never been a teenage boy but I can visualise) finds a mysterious message in a book and is transpoted into a world where books and words form magic. This is not in depth in any way but its lightheareted and engaging I might look out more by the same author.

228 - Taken by Midnight - Lara Adrian

There was an Amazon sale on which is why up to the last two books they were all under £2 on the kindle, otherwise I kinda want her to finish the series already they are so very samey, it has gotten better since she climed out from under the shadow of J R Ward but still no way near as good. This one starts straight after the last one and features Jenna traumatised by her encounter with the ancient she is recovering with the brotherhood and though human starts to develop strange powers. sigh 2 more to go I think then she might have gotten the hint and finished.

229 - Wicked Appetite - Janet Evanovich

Love her love her work not as good as Stephanie Plum but funny light hearted and engaging Features iesel who does appear in some of the Plum book.

230 - Blood Domination (Blood destiny 4) - Connie Suttle

Great series starts with one of the reviews below won't give too much away as this is part 4 but I will be getting the next one. This probably the weakest so far ut still worth a read.

231 - Dragon Bound Elder Races book 1 - Thea Harrison

This has been appearing in my you will like this list on Amazon for ages so I thought I would give it a go, like it but its not cheap to get into another series, shapeshifters etc romance nothing heavy but pleasant.

232 - Silver Shark - illona Andrews

more sci fi than some of her others, this story is however a romance it ends very quickly thoughy the premise is good. Psychers have waged war on a distant planet for ages and finally one side wins, the losers who are psychers are automatically put to death, though a grade 1 psycher Claire manages to escape and is sent off world to another planet with the rest of the refugees suddenly she is transported into a world where she has more freedom but cannot use her psychic ability for fear or deportation and death. Great and cheap easy reading.

233 - Shades of Grey - L M Pruitt

Thankfully under £1 as its tring so hard to be part of the massive genre, the witticisms try to hard, the kick ass heroine just isn't she fallsin and out of love easily and the main villain is a bit pantomimey for someone who supposedly was raised on the street the main character Judd is a bit to wimpy and annoying.

234 - Blood Sense - Connie Suttle

see above will not do anything in depth.

235 - Blood Passage - Connie Suttle

see above will not do anything in depth.

236 - Blood Wager - Connie Suttle

This is the first in the series (see above for the next 3) and its great I love it, Lissa is turned into a vampire as a bet between two vampires and is thrown into a world where she has rules and regs to follow is suddenly stronger and younger but vulnerable at the same time. She is witty without it being too clever and she develops her skills she comes into conflict with other vampires and their rules.

237 - Jenny Pox (the Paranormals book 1 ) - J L Bryan

This started well obviously written for the teenage market Jenny Box is interesting all her life she has been able to make people ill or even kill them with her touch. growing up in a small town this has made her unpopular and wierd altjough not everyone knows of this power, her arch enemy is the popular cheerleader girl (of course) but then it gets wierd and slightly rubbish tries suddenly to bring in mythology then has a horrible ending. very dissapointing and rubbish.

238 - Graveyard Games - Sheri Leigh

ok book was free so not really going to be that great girl comes home to twin brothrs death his friends are acting oddly series of murders she decides to investigate a but boring really.

239 - Invisible (Ivy Mallone Mystery series 1 ) - Lorena Mc Courtney

this wasn't too bad really Ivy is an elderly lady whose best friend dies and she suddenly realises she is invisible o society so when a series of mysterious events start to occur she uses her status to gently investigate her way. However its good but I won't continue to read any more as with the subtelty of a brick the author throws god down your neck whch frankly I just find boring.

240 - The fashion Police (Amber Fox Mystery) - Sibel Hodge

Terrible terrible terrible and can I say again terrible, I mean the story was not that bad and if you had never read anything by Janet Evanovich you would probably find it mildly amusimg but in fact its plagerism to the highest degree. Set in the Uk which is the main difference, Amber Fox is an ex policewoman who is kicked of the force by an arch rival (read Joyce from JE) she has a boyfriend (Joe Morelli) another man intersted who is kick ass (Ranger) she develops a side kick who is incompetent (Lula) she has a fondness for bad food esp doughnuts big hair and make up and shoes....seriously this is just a bad copy.

241 - Darkness Unbound - Keri Arthur

haven't read anything by Ker Arthur for ages but like her work this is the start of a new series,

Thats it I am tired sure there might be some more but too tired to scour book shelves and I still have a few more on the go at the moment but trying to save money......dam you Charm and Amazon :rolleyes:

I see you've been trawling Amazon again my dear? I think we're both as bad as each other! :giggle2: Mind you, you definitely win when it comes to sheer volume, I'm sure your bank manager loves you! *bows in respect* ;)

Glad you're enjoying your kindle and reading hun :hug:

I see you've been trawling Amazon again my dear? I think we're both as bad as each other! :giggle2: Mind you, you definitely win when it comes to sheer volume, I'm sure your bank manager loves you! *bows in respect* ;)

Glad you're enjoying your kindle and reading hun :hug:

Mwah ha ha I should have shares the amount it tempts me with.....

242 - Mercury Falls - Robert Kroese

In a vain attempt to keep on top of my list this is my latest finish. Mercury Falls is a a book about the apocalypse but with a twist, a reporter for a christian paper who investigates the cults of the apocalpse becomes involved with ...... actually its easier just to give you the Amazon synopsis so here While on assignment in Utah, Christine Temetri isn’t surprised when yet another prophesied Apocalypse fails to occur. After three years of reporting on End Times cults for a religious news magazine, Christine is seriously questioning her career choice. But then she meets Mercury, a cult leader whose knowledge of the impending Apocalypse is decidedly more solid than most: he is an angel, sent from heaven to prepare for the Second Coming but distracted by beer, ping pong, and other earthly delights. After Christine and Mercury inadvertently save Karl Grissom—a film-school dropout and the newly appointed Antichrist—from assassination, she realizes the three of them are all that stand in the way of mankind’s utter annihilation. They are a motley crew compared to the heavenly host bent on earth’s destruction, but Christine figures they’ll just have to do. Full of memorable characters, Mercury Falls is an absurdly funny tale about unlikely heroes on a quest to save the world.

Now its not as good as the synopsis suggests its supposed to be satirical and funny and yes it does have its moments buts its slightly over complicated. I might get more by the author but I might have to be running out of other things to go through it again.

• 4 weeks later...

243 -The Alpha - Annie Nicholas

a fairly short story in which I didn't want anything to challenging and this certainly succeeded in fullfilling that promise, a fairly fluffy bit of writing part of a trilogy this was unfortunately part 2 (Not made obvious when I bought it) So ok but I am not going to bother with the rest of the series. Alpha obviously involves werewolves but I have read better in this genre a bit of romance but basically very little story.

244- Chilli Con Corpses - J B Stanley

Cheap or free can't remember which it was but I did enjoy it, basic premis is a group of friends which all seem to belong to a sort of slimmers club investigate the death of a friend I did like the idea that they gave out recipes of some of the meals they were collecting. I have read better types of these books tried to be a combination of Agatha Christie and other gentle crime writers I guess but no suspense at all and the Killer was fairly obvious you could almost imagine them as the moustache stroking baddy from the way they were described when first introduced.

245 -Hollowland - Amanda Hocking

Quite a good YA novel set at a time when people are in enclaves because of a virus which has turned people into a type of zombies, its in some ways takiung elements of The Passage by Jutin Cronin although in a much more reduced way, and the main protagonist is a young girl (well teenager) she travels through the hollowlands looking for her brother who was transferred when their safe house was attacked. The second part is out and I might look it up.

246- Carinians Seeker - T J Michaels

recommendations from Charm (she has a much better review I won't even attempt to re do here)

247 - Vampire Shift - Tim O'Rourke

This is the second part of this series (first below) and its not too bad (hence me getting the second part) set in the Uk for a change and features female policeman who becomes mixed up in mysterious shennanigans

248 - Storm Heart - Thea Harrison

second part of this series love it, shapeshifters, vampires and variuos races violence and romance very good (get it Charm -mwah ha ha ha)

249 - Darkness Rising (Dark angel 2) - Keri Arthur

I am a big fan of Keri Arthur this is a new series great so far.

250 - Vampire Wake - Tim O'Rourke

see above (good new fairly cheap series on kindle)

251 - Mortal Coil (skulduggery Pleasant) - DerekLandy

I love this series I think its book 7 now and have them all in hardback, I love that Derek Landy writes really witty dialogue although this was perhaps not myu favourite of the books I have found Valkyrie Caine becoming a less sympathetic character but I think thats deliberate as she become older her teenage charachteristics are describe still love the banter with Skullldugery though.

252 - The House of Silk - Anthony Horowitz

Well Anthony Horowitz takes on he mantle of Conan Doyle and writes a Sherlock Holmes and I have to say in the great scheme of things this is one of the better ones. he manages to capture the relationship between Holmes and Watsin very well. I did get the secret or mystery before the end of the book but I think that might be an indicator of modern society rather than a failing on the books part, I can't go into any detail of what I mean without giving away the crux of the plot. Enjoy though I did.

Phew thats for me now.....although I am about 3/4 through my current book and will attempt to keep up to date a bit more maybe I should make my New's Years resolution to keep more up to date!!!!

246- Carinians Seeker - T J Michaels

recommendations from Charm (she has a much better review I won't even attempt to re do here)

247 - Vampire Shift - Tim O'Rourke

This is the second part of this series (first below) and its not too bad (hence me getting the second part) set in the Uk for a change and features female policeman who becomes mixed up in mysterious shennanigans

248 - Storm Heart - Thea Harrison

second part of this series love it, shapeshifters, vampires and variuos races violence and romance very good (get it Charm -mwah ha ha ha)

249 - Darkness Rising (Dark angel 2) - Keri Arthur

I am a big fan of Keri Arthur this is a new series great so far.

250 - Vampire Wake - Tim O'Rourke

see above (good new fairly cheap series on kindle)

Did I do a review of Carinian's Seeker? I don't remember :huh: Seems so long ago now. Did you like it though? You forgot to say if you did you twit! :giggle2:

Quite fancy the Tim O'Rourke reads set in the UK, even more so that they're cheap. Haven't read anything by Keri Arthur (I don't think) but I dare say I will now!

No doubt I'll get the Thea Harrison ones too ... damn you woman ... I will have my revenge! :P

Dam and there I thought I was being efficient and maybe you didn't do a review and I just imagined it...grrrr anyway I did like it and am saving the second part until after I have bought all my christmas pressies and can treat myself again. :rolleyes:

For Keri Arthur ease yourself in with Beneath a Darkening moon and Beneath a Rising moon see if you like her style.

• 4 weeks later...

before I forget to update this and the new yearrtoles around I had better make sure my list is up to date.

253 - Blood Dreams - Kay Hooper

254 - Hatsept Heat - Vampire Council of Ethics - T J Michaels

255 - Vampire Breed (Kiera Hudson book 4) - Tim O Rourke

256 - Seratis Flame - TJ Michaels

257 - Fatal Embrace - Aris Whittier

258 - A Job from Hell - Jayde Scott

259 - Serpents Kiss - Thea Harrison

most of these are second and third books in a series although there are a couple of others which are books I downloaded for free on my kindle Fatal Embrace for example which promised more than it delivered I have to say, thought it would be more of a thriller but I have read better by Linda Howard or Nora Roberts. a job from Hell which was a bit of a dissapointment it seemed to be a much better write up than it actually was luckily it was free or at least very cheap. Hatsept Heat was the weakest of the three books so far though.

right thats it I think although I may finish one the books by the side of my bed before the end of the year, I am pretty sure I have another few which I shoud have added to this list and I re-read a few books too when I was to poor to buy any new ones.

actually I am going to make a real effort to read it to take it up to 260 before then end of the year.

Edited by pickle

260 - Terry Pratchett - Snuff

Yay I did it, I finished my 260'th book of the year this morning and it was very good, if you are a fan of Sam Vimes then this is a perfect continuation of his story he gets angrier and angrier I have found since he first appeared in Guards Guards?? (first one I think) the humour is still there but its less slap stick now I think and nore insightful, still love em though.

260??!!

How many hours a day do you read? Do you work? Have children/pets?

I can't imagine how much time I world have to set aside to read 260 books in only 365 days! (Leap year in 2012 pickle so you should be able to get that total up next year :-))

Ha ha ha yeah I work full time and have 2 guinea pigs (ok they don't take up to much of my time) But and its a big but I live on my own so in an evening if I feel like it I can read as soon as I get home and at the weekend you might find me having an afternoon snooze :readingtwo:

I will try and up the number next year with that extra day :P

260 books in one year?? :o

Wow! I didn't even manage a half of that, koudos to you my friend *bows down in admiration*

I cannot wait to see how many you read this year, since you will have the kindle throughout the whole year! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't even manage one-fifth of that, and I work full-time and live alone too! Hmph, I'm clearly going wrong somewhere along the line.

Congrats on that amazing total. I wish I could read that many in a year! Heck, I'd be really happy with half that.