Liz's 2007 Book List

Liz

Have now finished the George Orwell one.

It was a nice, quick little read. One that is very simple to follow.

Moving on to .......

LORDS AND LADIES

Terry Pratchett

The fairies are back - but this time they don't just want your teeth....

Granny Weatherwax and her tiny coven are up against real elves.

It's Midsummer Night.

No time for dreaming......

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am still reading LORDS AND LADIES. Really enjoying this one. This is one of my favourites of the witches books so far.

I haven't been able to read as often as I would like this week as I've had quite a bit of coursework to finish. Will be able to spend more time on it tomorrow.

Have spent most of the morning reading and have now finished LORDS AND LADIES.

I loved this Discworld tale. Nanny Ogg is my favourite of the witches and I enjoyed her in this book. The witches are not really my favourite of the Discworld groups, but I found this one to be one of their best so far.

Going to have a go at the second book in the Inspector Morse series. I know I only read this last year, but I want to read the series in order, so I'm going to read it again.

LAST SEEN WEARING (re-read)

Colin Dexter

The statements before Inspector Morse appeared to confirm the bald, simple truth. After leaving home to return to school, Valerie Taylor had completely vanished, and the trail had gone cold. Until two years, three months and two days after Valerie's disappearance, somebody decides to supply some surprising new evidence for the case...

Quickly re-read the Morse book. Still enjoyed it.

I'm now going to move on to one of the books which is in the March Reading Circle vote. I don't know if it's likely to win or not, but I thought I might as well give a go as I'm not really sure what to read next.

Hope no-one will mind, but I'll use the Reading Circle's description of the book.

THE INTERPRETATION OF MURDER

Jed Rubenfeld

THE INTERPRETATION OF MURDER is an inventive tour de force inspired by Sigmund Freud's 1909 visit to America, accompanied by protégé and rival Carl Jung. When a wealthy young debutante is discovered bound, whipped and strangled in a luxurious apartment overlooking the city, and another society beauty narrowly escapes the same fate, the mayor of New York calls upon Freud to use his revolutionary new ideas to help the surviving victim recover her memory of the attack, and solve the crime. But nothing about the attacks - or about the surviving victim, Nora - is quite as it seems. And there are those in very high places determined to stop the truth coming out, and Freud's startling theories taking root on American soil.

The Interpretation of Murder wasn't too bad. Has some quite good bits along the way. Quite enjoyed this one.

I'll probably talk about it a bit more when the Reading Circle begins.

Am now going to read the third book of the Morse series.

THE SILENT WORLD OF NICHOLAS QUINN

Colin Dexter

The newly appointed member of the Oxford Examinations Syndicate was deaf, provincial and gifted. Now he is dead.....

And his murder, in his North Oxford home , proves to be the start of a formidably labyrinthine case for Chief Inspector Morse, as he tries to track down the killer through the insular and bitchy world of the Oxford colleges...

My mother is a Hardy fan and has read most of his.

This is my first Hardy book - mother said it might be the better one to begin with.

Ooh, please let us know how you get on it with it :) I quite fancy reading Far from the Madding Crowd, BUT I've been badly scalded by Jude the Obscure and Tess of the d'Ubervilles in the past :smile2: If only I'd heard your mum's advice first!

Far From The Madding Crowd was my first go at reading Hardy and I'm definitely going to be reading more of his work. Very much enjoyed Hardy's style of writing - loved the way he describes the surroundings and the characters. A good little book.

Next.........

CARRIE

Stephen King

Carrie White is no ordinary girl.

Carrie White has a gift - the gift of telekinesis.

To be invited to Prom Night by Tommy Ross is a dream come true for Carrie - the first step towards social acceptance by her high school colleagues. But events will take a decidedly macabre turn on that horrifying and endless night as she is forced to exercise her terrible gift on the town that mocks and loathes her.

I've just seen that Interpretation of Murder has won the March Reading Circle.

I'm on page 210 out of 522 and so far I'm quite enjoying it.

I'm looking forward to March and hearing what everyone else thinks about it.

I'm enjoying the book I'm on page 60 Starting at chapter 4.

a very entertaining book indeed, this view coming from someone that would normally read Ian rankin.:) (me)

I'm at page 60 starting chapter 4

I'm enjoying the book I'm on page 60 Starting at chapter 4.

a very entertaining book indeed, this view coming from someone that would normally read Ian rankin.:) (me)

I'm at page 60 starting chapter 4

I really enjoyed the book - I think I got hooked on it after the first few chapters.

It's great that lots of us are reading it for the Reading Circle.

Finished off CARRIE this afternoon. It's only a small book but it took me a week to read it. I think it was because I found it to be quite....well....dull. The first few pages made a good start and it looked like it would turn out to be a good read, but after the first 60 pages or so it just seemed to drag a little. Hopefully the next one of his which I read will be a little better.

THE GREAT GATSBY

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Read it this afternoon and really enjoyed this one. It's a fairly short book but it had a great story. I thought it had some good characters in it and the descriptive pieces were well written.

A great little read. :blush:

Now reading.........

PRIDE & PREJUDICE (re-read): I'm currently having to write an essay about the theme of marriage in P&P, so I'm having to quickly re-read it and make notes along the way.

SERVICE OF ALL THE DEAD - Colin Dexter : The third book in the Insp. Morse series.

Enjoyed the Inspector Morse book. Really enjoying working my way through the series.

I'm now going to have a go at a book which I borrowed from the library earlier in the week.....

A SHORT HISTORY OF TRACTORS IN UKRAINIAN

Marina Lewycka