Liz's 2007 Book List

Liz

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a slightly, shall we say, unusual story. Very unpredictable with some funny and wonderfully witty pieces throughout. A very strange and surreal book, but very much a 'page turner'.

Next........

MRS DALLOWAY

Virginia Woolf

I have read one or two of her short stories, but this is the first novel of her's which I have read.

Virginia Woolf is another author I have yet to explore. I have heard that readers have problems with her streams of consciousness. Does that bother you Liz? How do you find Woolf?

Well, I've only read a third of Mrs Dalloway so far. It hasn't been too bad, but there have been times where I became completely lost and couldn't for the life of me follow what she was saying and going on about. It seems to come in batches - it's good for so long and then you get stuck for a few pages. I am going to keep going with it, though. It's a good book when you can understand what's going on.

I found Mrs Dalloway slightly difficult to follow at times. The swapping back and forth between the present and the past was a great way to build up the characters and their history, but at certain points in the book I did get a little lost and had to re-read a page to follow where Woolf was going. I'm glad I stuck with it and read it, and it has not put me off reading another book by Woolf in the future.

Next.....

THE SECRET HISTORY

Donna Tartt

Kell, I absolutely loved it! It is such a lovely book. :D

I thought so too Liz and I LOVE the movie..

'Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!'

I've seen the movie once and wasn't overly impressed with it. Maybe I should do what you did, Liz, and read the book (which I already have on my wish list), then watch the movie a few more times. I'd like to see what everyone else sees in it. :D

The Secret History has to be one of my favourite books which I have read over the past two years. I loved the characters - a group of students who all seemed to have shadowy pasts and acted mysteriously all the way through the book. I really enjoyed the the story being set in and around a college/university with students and teachers making up the list of characters. I found the story to be completely absorbing and I ended up wanting to constantly know what would happen on the next page. A brilliant book. :jump::lol:

Hmm...it has taken me a little while to decide which book to read next, but I think I'll have a go at a Discworld.

Next..........

SOUL MUSIC

Terry Pratchett

Yes. There's a Death in the family. It's hard to grow up normally when Grandfather rides a white horse and wields a scythe - especially when you have to take over the family business, and everyone mistakes you for the Tooth Fairy. And especially when you have to face the new and addictive music that has entered Discworld.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ghost is the first Robert Harris book I have read and I found it to be a fairly enjoyable book. It was quite fast paced and never really slowed down for that long. The story and characters were very obviously referring to the current political goings-on, so there were a few laughs here and there. I will definitely try another of Harris'.

Next..........

Extricating Young Gussie

P.G. Woderhouse

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up reading five short stories featuring Jeeves;

~ Extricating Young Gussie

~ Leave It To Jeeves

~ Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest

~ Jeeves and the Hard-Boiled Egg

~ The Aunt and the Sluggard

They were all very good - I'm looking forward to reading the next batch of Jeeves stories.

Next........

TIDELAND

Mitch Cullin

• 2 weeks later...

Tideland was an unusual book but brilliant. It's pace is fairly slow and easy-going, which really suits the story and the characters well. I'm looking forward to watching Terry Gilliam's film of it again, now that I have read it.

The Day of the Triffids - I found this to be a really enjoyable science fiction tale. I loved the descriptions of a deserted London which has slowly begun to collapse and has been left to turn to ruin. I also found Wyndham's characters and the behaviour of the sighted and blind to be an excellent example of human behaviour in a time of crisis.

Next....................

Life of Pi

Yann Martel

• 3 weeks later...

Life of Pi - I did not get on with this book at all and it was a very disappointing read. I found the majority of it to be quite dull, especially......

the frequent descriptions of how Pi caught fish to feed himself and the tiger

. I found it very hard to even like the main character, so it made reading about him very dull. The ending only just saved it from being a complete load of rubbish, but generally speaking, I found it to be a rather tedious story. If it was any longer, I think I would have given up on it. It may be a book that I will appreciate and enjoy more on a second read of it, but I do not think I will be doing that anytime soon.

To Serve Them All My Days - Reading this was such a contrast to the previos book I had read as I absolutely adored this book. I enjoy stories that are set in and around schools, and this one did not disappoint at all. It is a fairly long book (approx. 600 pages), but I found it to be well paced and did not become tired of the story (which follows a teacher over a period of 25 years). This was an excellent book to end the year with.

=======================

Wow, it's the end of 2007 already. I am very pleased with the books that I have managed to read over the past 12 months. There has not really been that many disappointing books, only a couple here and there. I am now looking forward to the next 12 months of reading. :lol:;)

Life of Pi - I did not get on with this book at all and it was a very disappointing read...

I hope you'll be posting your thoughts on the various aspects of this book in the reading circle thread. :lol: