Liz's 2007 Book List

Liz

After being given the complete Morse set of books for Christmas, I'm going to start with the first book and try and work my way through the series in order (not all in one go, though), rather than reading them from here and there like I have done so far.

LAST BUS TO WOODSTOCK

Colin Dexter

The death of Sylvia Kaye figured dramatically in Thursday afternoon's edition of the Oxford Mail. By Friday evening Inspector Morse had informed the nation that the police were looking for a dangerous man - facing charges of wilful murder, sexual assault and rape. But as the obvious leads fade into twilight and darkness, Morse becomes more and more convinced that passion holds the key.

I've read this one and I really enjoyed it. The Morse books are good and intelligently written.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:readingtwo: For the past few days, I've found myself getting caught up with people and things, so I haven't been able to do much (if any) reading at all. But I'm really enjoying the first Morse book - It's only a short book at just over 300 pages.

I just about get settled down and open the book, when something comes along and I have to leave it at that.

Does no one realise that I'm trying to find out who killed Sylvia?

I am going to now move on to one of the classics......

Rebecca

Daphne du Maurier

Working as a lady's companion, the heroine of Rebecca learns her place. Her future looks bleak until, on a trip to the South of France, she meets Max de Winter, a handsome widower whose sudden proposal of marriage takes her by surprise. She accepts, but whisked from glamorous Monte Carlo to the ominous and brooding Manderley, the new Mrs de Winter finds Max a changed man.

Rebecca is one of my all-time favourite books. I hope you enjoy it.

I no longer watch EastEnders, but I used to, and I went to see a production of this at the Theatre Royal in Bath, where June Brown (Dot Cotton) was Mrs Danvers - she was perfectly cast!

I've now started my schoolwork and coursework again, so Rebecca is going to have to be put aside for a little while. I might have a read of it in the evenings, but it will probably be quite a while before I finish it.

Went to a second-hand bookshop this afternoon. They had a half price sale on all their books, so it would have been a waste not to take them up on this offer (that's my excuse, anyway ;) ).

Ended up coming away with a lovely old hardback of Sherlock Holmes - a great read and it looks lovely on the shelf. Also got a Hemingway, a few by Patricia Highsmith, a George Orwell and a few others. A rather good shopping trip, methinks. :friends0:

But it also means that the TBR mountain has just grown. :D

Great list Liz, I hope you enjoy all the books...:friends0:

Terry Pratchett - Good Omens

I read this years ago and I really enjoyed it

Harper Lee - To Kill A Mockingbird

Aw what a wonderful book, have not read it for awhile, so I think it will be coming down from the shelf..

Stephen King - Firestarter

Stephen King - Misery

Stephen King - Different Seasons

All great reads from Stephen King, especially 'Different Seasons

Ken Kesey - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Brilliant book:mrgreen:

I am just starting chapter 15 and I am really enjoying Rebecca so far. I love some of the descriptions in it. It's one of those books that I keep finding hard to put down - I keep wanting to read the next chapter! :friends0:

I have seen Rebecca's Tale. I haven't heard much about it, though. I take it you've read it, Lilywhite? Is it any good?

I enjoyed Rebecca - it's quite a compelling read. At the time I also read Jamaica Inn, Frenchman's Creek and My Cousin Rachel plus The Birds - all were brilliant. I often forget what a great writer she is.

Hello Liz!

Stephen Fry - Moab Is My Washpot

Aw, I love Stephen Fry and this is fantastic. You can really hear this voice as you're reading. I read it during exams and it's perfect for when you're feeling stressed or have a lot going on. You can just leave it for ages, then pick it up and know where you left off.

H.G. Wells - The Time Machine

This is a really short book that's perfect for days when you feel like you haven't been reading as much as you'd like :friends0: It's also really interesting and very cleverly done.

Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre

Emily Bronte - Wuthering Heights

Evelyn Waugh - Brideshead Revisited

Ken Kesey - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Four of my favourite books. Particularly the first three. If you get around to them, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did! I often revisit them.

Harper Lee - To Kill A Mockingbird

To my shame, I've never read this *hangs head in disgrace*

Finished Rebecca last night. Absolutely loved the book! A great story with some excellent descriptions made it a fantastic book for me. I loved the style of the writing as well. It has to be a 10/10 book. :D

I will definitely be on the lookout for more of Daphne du Maurier's work.

Will now be starting.......

THE DIARY OF A NOBODY

George & Weedon Grossmith

The Diary of a Nobody is so unassuming a work that even its author, George Grossmith, seemed unaware that he had produced a masterpiece. For more than a century this wonderfully comic portrayal of suburban life and values has remained in print, a source of delight to generations or readers, and a major literary influence, much imitated but never equalled.

Finished Rebecca last night. Absolutely loved the book! A great story with some excellent descriptions made it a fantastic book for me. I loved the style of the writing as well. It has to be a 10/10 book. :D

This is definitely one of my favourite books ever!