Liz's 2007 Book List

Liz

It took me longer to read than I had hoped (due to having coursework and revision to do), but I've finished THE LIAR. I enjoyed Stephen Fry's debut novel, very funny in certain parts, and I will be trying some more of his later.

Next.....

SEMI-DETACHED

Griff Rhys Jones

Semi-Detached is Griff Rhys Jones' own account of his ordinary suburban childhood; of adolescent scraps and scrapes; of coming of age in the 1960s and 1970s; of family and university life; and of times lost or at least fuzzy around the edges.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Griff Rhys Jones' autobiography was a lovely book to read and very funny in places. A perfect book to relax out in the sun with. One of the better biographies which I have read.

Next..... I'll be re-reading the fifth book in the Inspector Morse series.

THE DEAD OF JERICHO (re-read)

Colin Dexter

Anne Scott's address was scribbled on a crumpled note in the pocket of Morse's smartest suit. He turned the corner of Canal Street, Jericho, on the afternoon of Wednesday, 3rd October. He hadn't planned a second visit. But he was back later the same day - as the officer in charge of a suicide investigation....

Quickly re-read The Dead Of Jericho and still found it an enjoyable read.

As the sixth book in the series is fairly short, I'm going to have a go at another Morse.

Next........

THE RIDDLE OF THE THIRD MILE

Colin Dexter

By the 16th of July the Master of Lonsdale was concerned, but not yet worried. Dr. Browne-Smith had passed through the porter's lodge at approximately 8:15 a.m. on the morning of Friday, 11th July. And nobody had heard from him since. Plenty of time to disappear, thought Morse. And plenty of time, too, for someone to commit murder...

Zipped through the sixth Morse book.

Wasn't the best one I've read but it was still quite good.

I'm now going to have a go at a book which I have been wanting to read for a few years....

THE LOST WORLD

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Seeing as I had been looking forward to reading The Lost World for a few years, I was very glad when I finished it and had very much enjoyed it. It's a fairly short story, and even though it was published in about 1912, I didn't think that the writing style felt dated that much.

A fantastic adventure story.

Next.......

PETER PAN

J.M. Barrie

Today I managed to read through the play WHOSE LIFE IS IT ANYWAY? by Brian Clark. It is a play set in a hospital about a man, named Ken, who, after having a car accident, has ended up being left totally paralysed. Only his brain functions normally. Due to his state, Ken wants to discharge himself, which would end in him dying within a week. Ken wants to die, but due to him being completely helpless in the hospital, he would need the authorities' consent.

The play follows Ken's stay in hospital and his fight for the right to die.

I'm studying this for GCSE English Lit. It's not too bad a play and it leaves you with quite a few things to think about. It is definitely a play which I would like to see performed.

Have now finished PETER PAN. I have to say that I was a little disappointed with it. It started out rather well and the last two chapters were good, but the story in between just seemed very dull. I didn't really care about or even enjoy any of the characters. This book was just not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

I'm in a bit of a history mood at the moment, so I decided to re-read....

MEDIEVAL LIVES

Terry Jones

Read the final chapter of MEDIEVAL LIVES this afternoon after Biology revision. I've read this book before and it's a really interesting little read. It's an easy book to understand, which makes a change to some books about history which can be a little confusing in places with language which you have to keep fetching a dictionary for.

I thought I would have a go at another children's classic.

ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

Lewis Carroll

Alice follows the White Rabbit down the rabbit-hole and into a series of extraordinary adventures in Wonderland, a country of crazy logic where the absurd and surreal are the norm. Riddles have no answers, songs turn into nonsense and everything is punctuated with dreadful puns. The animals who live there can not only speak but are positively argumentative; however, the self-possessed Alice is well able to cope with everything she meets.

Alice's Adventures In Wonderland wasn't too bad. It had its good parts and its slow parts all the way through the book. The illustrations were wonderful, though.

Going to continue with Alice....

THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

Lewis Carroll

Alice goes through the looking glass into another world whose eccentric inhabitants seem to be either chess-pieces or characters from nursery rhymes - that is, when they are not talking flowers or insects. Obeying their own impossible rules of logic, they are all full of criticism or good advice as Alice, a lowly Pawn, sets out on her quest to become a Queen of the Chess Board.

Finished the second Alice book this afternoon. I prefered this one to the first Alice adventure - I felt the story had a better pace than the previous book. Really enjoyed the poetry in this one, as well.

Next......

A FAREWELL TO ARMS

Ernest Hemingway

• 2 weeks later...

I am really enjoying A Farewell To Arms. I am quite annoyed that I am unable to read it more often, but now that the GCSE exams have begun I haven't really felt like reading much. I'm afraid I feel that I should probably put revision before reading.

But I am finding A.F.T.A. to be very good. ;)

Finished A Farewell To Arms this afternoon.

It took me a few chapters before I started to get into Ernest Hemingway's style of writing, but once I managed that I found this book to be quite enjoyable. This has encouraged me to read more of his work.

Next........

TREASURE ISLAND

Robert Louis Stevenson

• 3 weeks later...

Finished off the last few pages of Treasure Island.

A really good adventure story. I liked the characters and the detailed descriptions of them. A jolly good read, I'd say.

I'm not going to bother starting a new book just yet. I'll wait until the majority of the exams are over with and then I'll probably move on to one of the many Python books I've got waiting on the shelf.

Now that the exam revision has eased up a little, I am going to have a read of The Pythons' Autobiography ~ The Pythons.

I've had it for a while and have been dipping in and out of it every now and then, so I've already read about a third of it. That doesn't matter, though, as I find it really interesting so it would be good to re-read bits.

It looks to be a good summer read.

How are the exams going Liz - are you near the end yet? Best of luck

Not too bad. I've got a second R.S. exam on Friday 22nd June, and then that's it. The past month of exams has gone by very quickly. It feels as though I should be having another few weeks of them. I've really enjoyed them, though. I love exams, so these weeks have been great fun. :roll:

Not too bad. I've got a second R.S. exam on Friday 22nd June, and then that's it. The past month of exams has gone by very quickly. It feels as though I should be having another few weeks of them. I've really enjoyed them, though. I love exams, so these weeks have been great fun. :roll:

Yes can't believe it's nearly over for my daughter as well - her last one is Thursday plus she's got a revision day on Wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished The Pythons' Autobiography and loved every page of it. Obviously not all of the information in it was new, as they have spoken about certain events in the many interviews over the years, but there was much more detail to the stories in this book. The humour was there, which was great, as some books about comedy groups/programmes can seem dull and unfunny sometimes. This will be a book which I will definitely be keeping, as it's also a good little book to dip in and out of when you want.

Next......

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT

Erich Maria Remarque

After studying WWI and WWII for the past three years at school, I've come to enjoy Modern History. I've wanted to read this book for a while, and so thought now would be a good time to give it a go. I've heard some great reviews of it from people (some being from the BCF).

• 2 weeks later...

Finished ...Western Front last week and I enjoyed it very much. The relationships between the characters and the characters themselves were well written and helped to show another side to the war other than the blood and guts of it.

Next...........

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Ken Kesey

Absolutely loved One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. I thought that the ways in which the characters change throughout the book were really well told. Also, the ending completely surprised me. An excellent book. :)

Next.........

DIRK GENTLY'S HOLISTIC DETECTIVE AGENCY

Douglas Adams

Really enjoyed the first Dirk Gently book, possibly more than some of The Guide books.

I'm now going to have a go at the next Dirk Gently novel.........

THE LONG DARK TEA-TIME OF THE SOUL

Douglas Adams

I think I actually prefer Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently books to some of the books from The Guide. Don't get me wrong, I love The Guide, but some of the later books felt as though they dragged in places and they were not quite as good as the earlier ones. However, saying that, I found both sets of books to be very, very funny. Dirk himself is just a great character to read about. :lol:

Next...................

THE SALMON OF DOUBT

Douglas Adams