Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

Oh my Pixie, that is such a lovely edition! (I wouldn't expect any less from Vintage though - how I love their covers!!) That's going straight on my wish list. :)

I just bought a Historical Atlas from a little shop here at work. Despite the dry title, it's a stunning book full of maps, pictures and interesting information dating from around 10,000 BC to the present. How could I resist such an awesome-looking book?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote a few hundred words of my novel for my dissertation project. It's coming along really nicely.

I haven't read a lot for pleasure recently. I've managed to squeeze in a chapter of The Well of Ascension here and there, but work is starting to take over.

I got a wonderful surprise at work tonight. They had a huge rack of books they are getting rid of and let us pick over them first. Believe it or not, they are not going back to the publishers or to charity, they are planning on THROWING THEM AWAY! I 'adpoted' 15 new ones plus an advanced reader's copy of Cecelia Ahern's new book The Book of Tomorrow which I plan to start this evening. :) All in all, a very good day for my personal library.

I just bought a Historical Atlas from a little shop here at work. Despite the dry title, it's a stunning book full of maps, pictures and interesting information dating from around 10,000 BC to the present. How could I resist such an awesome-looking book?

This sounds like an awesome book, right up my street! I'd love to get hold of a copy. What's the ISBN, please. Kylie? xx

As for me, I'm absolutely loving The Passage by Justin Cronin. I'm just under a third of the way through (it's a big old book) and keep finding five minutes here and there to pick it up. My mojo's back! laugh.gif

Edited by Mac

I got a wonderful surprise at work tonight. They had a huge rack of books they are getting rid of and let us pick over them first. Believe it or not, they are not going back to the publishers or to charity, they are planning on THROWING THEM AWAY! I 'adpoted' 15 new ones plus an advanced reader's copy of Cecelia Ahern's new book The Book of Tomorrow which I plan to start this evening. :) All in all, a very good day for my personal library.

WOW!!! Aren't you lucky??!! wish I worked there too :smile2:

I haven't been to a bookshop or the library for ages, work has been manic. Must make time this weekend.

Still reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, only have another 200 pages to go.

Did finish an ARC of The Raising by Laura Kasischke. Beautifully written, poignant and full of suspense. It's not released until next year, but I would look out for it if you like mysteries with a twist.

I had a historical Atlas back in the 80's and I loved it, really out of date now though as it still showed the USSR and the a divided Germany which I was living in at the time, but you are right they are beautiful.

I started one of my library book this morning can't remember the title :D but I am enjoying it though a bit of a crime romance thing just what I needed as been feeling a little blue this week.

Recieved two books in the post today - and met my postwoman for the first time! She was lovely, really chatty. She knew me from my packages - that I often get them and sometimes they don't fit in the postbox.

Anyway, I got Intuition, a review book, by Allegra Goodman, and Heavenly, a birthday present from Jennifer Laurens! :lol:

Struggling to get into "The Wrong Kind Of Blood" by Declan Hughes. I guess I'm so used to reading Fantasy/Sci-Fi that the change to Crime is going to take some getting used to.

This sounds like an awesome book, right up my street! I'd love to get hold of a copy. What's the ISBN, please. Kylie? xx

As for me, I'm absolutely loving The Passage by Justin Cronin. I'm just under a third of the way through (it's a big old book) and keep finding five minutes here and there to pick it up. My mojo's back! laugh.gif

The ISBN is 978-1-921209-71-0. This website has a synopsis (it has a different ISBN, but I believe the one on the website is the hardcover version).

I'm glad your mojo's back. :)

I had a historical Atlas back in the 80's and I loved it, really out of date now though as it still showed the USSR and the a divided Germany which I was living in at the time, but you are right they are beautiful.

Yes, the danger with these books is that they will inevitably become out of date, but I don't mind too much because I'm more interested in the older stuff. ;)

Oh my word!! Such a good haul! Lucky you to have a great perk of the job like that one! :lol:

I almost bought this the other day, but was put off by the sheer size of it, it's huge! Glad you're enjoying it though ;)

I'm currently reading "Let the right one in" by John Ajvide Lindquist and its compulsive reading...just having a wee break then I've "Dear John" to start reading!

I loved Let The Right One In, one of my surprise favourites of last year. So pleased you're enjoying it :D

Reading activity? 2 pages :irked:

I received two more books from Frankie:

Jeff Lindsay: Dexter is Delicious

Sylvia Plath: Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams

I have a few days off so I'm going to make some good headway into Plath's journals and Anne of Windy Poplars.

Edited by Kylie

I foolishly stayed away til 1.30am last night (this morning) to finish my book so I am a little tired but I did enjoy it, it was by Deanna Raybourn an easy crime novel with a little romance thrown in. :D

I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows last night, and sobbed like a child. I'm such a sap.

Read 30 pages of Waking the Witch by Kelley Armstrong on the way to work.

Am waiting for a book delivery from the library and expecting The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Read 40 pages of The Secret Crown yesterday, and while it's very melodramatic Indiana Jones style stuff, I'm pretty sure it's not taking itself seriously and the dialogue is hilarious. Really enjoying it.

I should finish Under the Dome tonight as I've only 50 pages left to go then I'm going to start Liza of Lambeth Somerset Maugham, it's years since I've read any of his stuff so really looking forward to this :)

Well I had a few hours free this afternoon so finished Under the Dome early I didn't really enjoy this book & although I did enjoy Stephen King's books when I was younger he's definitely not for me anymore.