Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last two books I finished were:

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution by Richard Dawkins & Abarat by Clive Barker. I thoroughly enjoyed them both, 1 non-fiction and 1 fiction/fantasy.

Curently reading: (meaning currently focusing on, as I have started too many at once due to not being able to make my mind up)

Blow-up and other stories by Julio Cortazar, so far read the stories: Axolotl, House Taken Over, The Distances, The Idol of the Cyclades, Letter to a Young Lady in Paris, A Yellow Flower, Continuity of Parks and The Night Face up. (7 more to enjoy) I am also half way through The Scar by China Mieville and started The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Life by Richard Dawkins, a non-fiction book.

:readingtwo:

Just finished Cassandra Clare's 'City Of Bones' , and really enjoyed it! A good story, fast paced and very visual. Just what my flagging mojo needed. :D

I plan on starting on the second book in the series tonight, 'City Of Ashes'.

I'm so pleased it has picked up your mojo! The next two in the series are just as good, if not better :D

I am planning on buying them next amazon run :lol:

Make sure you do woman, or you'll have me to answer to!:theboss: ... or you could just borrow mine ;)

As for my mojo? It has done a runner and scarpered! :sos:

Charm ~ I hope your mojo returns soon hen :friends3: and thanks again for your kind offer but its okay, I will definitely invest :)

I am half way through 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak and enjoying it :)

I'm 120 pages into Sylvia Plath's journals. It's a very slow read but extremely rewarding.

I've also read more of The Woman in Black by Susan Hill and started on Anne of the Island by LM Montgomery. Both are excellent. :)

I've also read more of The Woman in Black by Susan Hill and started on Anne of the Island by LM Montgomery. Both are excellent. :)

I believe Anne of the Island was my favorite of all the L.M. Montgomery series. :)

I also loved Rilla of Ingleside, but it was sooooo sad.

I finally abandoned Charles Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities. I'm not going to touch another Dickens book for a pretty long time, I'm afraid. The stories fail to interest me enough. I first thought it had something to do with the style and the level of writing, but even though I can understand his writing now, I just didn't have enough interest though I read about 50% of the book. I'll get back to reading all of his works some day. But right now, I just need a good story.

I'm 25 pages into Nathaniel Hawthorne - The House of the Seven Gables and I'm hooked with his style and the story. I'd tried reading Fanshawe earlier this year but although I had no problem understanding the book but I was too lazy back then. I'll get back to it soon. For now The House is all I needed.

I finally abandoned Charles Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities. I'm not going to touch another Dickens book for a pretty long time, I'm afraid. The stories fail to interest me enough. I first thought it had something to do with the style and the level of writing, but even though I can understand his writing now, I just didn't have enough interest though I read about 50% of the book. I'll get back to reading all of his works some day. But right now, I just need a good story.

I'm 25 pages into Nathaniel Hawthorne - The House of the Seven Gables and I'm hooked with his style and the story. I'd tried reading Fanshawe earlier this year but although I had no problem understanding the book but I was too lazy back then. I'll get back to it soon. For now The House is all I needed.

I'm sorry you couldn't get into Tale of Two Cities, Vinay :(. When I read it in school I remembering liking it, but I didn't really love it until I re-read it just a few years ago. So, maybe you just need a few years before you go back to Dickens again, huh?

I visited the actual House of Seven Gables a few years ago in Salem and it was so cool! I mostly remember this secret passage behind a panel by a fireplace, and it had this narrow staircase that went up to a secret room. The tour guides were unsure of it's purpose, but they guessed it was for holding smuggled goods from privateers. Neat, huh? :D Glad you are reading that one!

I managed about 30 pages of Ghost Writer last night, and thankfully I remembered details and didn't have to start over! :lol: I'm looking forward to getting more read this weekend.

@peacefield:

I'm pretty sure I'll return to Dickens pretty soon. As any writer should know, he's the epitome of English literature and no reading lifetime is complete without his books tossed in the list. I do need a few more years, or I need to control the way my eyes move, I've noticed I read a lot slower while walking and that's why I understand better. But the drawback being if the story isn't engrossing enough, I just pay attention to the road instead of reading. (Roads are pretty empty at 5:30AM so don't worry ;))

I did not know that there actually is a House of Seven Gables at Salem! Oh wait, dumb me, Hawthorne actually did mention him seeing the house while he lived there.

Another thing to see when I visit the States then! I can't wait.

Nearly finished The Family by Martina Cole. Going to move onto The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch after that. Getting a bit worried though because I ordered it from Amazon last week and it still hasn't arrived :rolleyes:

'm 30 pages into World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler. His writing is so smooth and seemingly simple, it goes down like a well made milkshake, you know, the kind that reveals all sorts of under flavors as you roll it around in your mouth. I think this one will be right up there with my favorite post-apocalyptic novel of all time...Malevil by Robert Merle.

Vinay, I look forward to hearing what you think of Dickens when you get back to reading him :D. And YES, you definitely need to visit Salem! It's a beautiful town and obviously has a ton of history, like every other place in New England. Hawthorne had many ties there, and I know you'll love visiting when you do.

I'm enjoying the Ghost Writer (thanks again Weave), and have already passed Harwood's name on to a couple of people :).

I acquired a lot of books today thanks to Frankie and a couple of secondhand book shops. :)

From Frankie:

Julian Barnes: Flaubert's Parrot

Augusten Burroughs: Magical Thinking

John Howard Griffin: Black Like Me

Elisabeth Robinson: The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters

From the book shops:

John Cleese & Connie Booth: The Complete Fawlty Towers

David Stuart Davies: The Wordsworth Book of Horror Stories

Susan Faludi: Backlash

Susan Hill: Mrs De Winter

Ayn Rand: The Fountainhead

Finished Peter F Hamilton's Pandora's Star and jumped straight into the sequel, Judas Unchained. I normally try to avoid reading two books on the trot by the same author, so this is going to be a test of my endurance, lol. It's the third time I've read Pandora's Star but I've never got around to Judas Unchained before, so I figured if I don't do it straight away it might fall by the wayside - again!

Only 1,235 pages to go ...

Finished Room, already :( I miss it!

Well that's a good sign :) It looks like an interesting read, I have downloaded the sample on my android kindle app, but not checked it out as of yet.

Put Richard Dawkins's Ancestor's tale on hold as I have borrowed Richard Fortey's Life from the library, its thinner so thought I'd finish it first. I have heard its not as good a read as Dawkins but Fortey's humour does generally entertain me more than Dawkins, not that I'm reading it for the humour ofcourse but still abit of humour doesn't go amiss especially when reading non-fiction. :smile2: