Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

I am getting towards the end of The Solitudes by John Crowley. For those interested, it is the first book in a 4 book series called The Aegypt Cycle, and it has so many interesting elements. Alternate histories involving magic, myths and stories that effect the past, present, and future, references to other authors (real and unreal), secret codes within the texts of books, Hermeticism, Rosicrucianism, and elegant, philosophical prose. If you are a fan of fantasy and/or alternate history, I think you would enjoy this series. The writing may seem a bit dense at first, but if you can get through the first few chapters, you will pick up the rhythm and be gently pulled into the story. That's what happened for me, anyway. :smile2:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, I bought: The Passage by Justin Cronin; Buried Alive by J. A. Kerley; A History of the World in 101/2 Chapters by Julian Barnes; Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke; The Devil's Star, The Snowman & The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo; The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (apologies for this, but I have to read it before I judge it); Angelology by Danielle Trussont and The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell.

I also hope you enjoy Jonathan Strange. It's a slightly heavy but very unique and rewarding read. Definitely one of my favourite books.

Working my way through Titus Andronicus this evening. I'm actually quite enjoying it, despite all the gore.

Finished The Confessions of Max Tivoli (working on the review now).

Went onto Waterstones to get a book for my sister for Christmas. Turns out all the fiction paperbacks were on 3 for 2 so of course I came away with 3:

Sum Tales from Afterlives- David Eagelman (for my sister)

Room- Emma Donoghue

Kafka on the Shore- Haruki Marukami

I'm still reading In a strange room. I'm trying to make it last, I really love the way he writes. Thinking of reading Martina Coles new book The Family after that.

Yesterday I bought

- Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami

- Sophie's World by Jostein Gaardner

- Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

- Parrot and Olivier in America by Peter Carey

and am particularly excited about the latter 2, because it was an impulse buy - they seemed interesting and I can't wait to get around to them! :D

I received The Seance by John Harwood in the mail today - thanks, Weave!! :friends0: Can't wait to read it!

I also finished Deja Dead this afternoon. Great read, and very intense! I will definitely have to keep my eye out for other Reichs books. It's funny how much of a departure the TV show is from the book, at least this one. Both Temperance Brennans are strong women, but honestly that's where the similarity ends. Now I'm curious as to why they didn't decide to follow the book version more closely, hmmm...

I haven't decide what to read next, but when I do you guys will be the first to know! :D

I finished Jules Verne - Around The World in 80 Days this morning and after looking through a few of the books on my TBR pile, I decided to read either Charles Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities or Alexandre Dumas - The Count of Monte Cristo. I've been putting off each for a long while, especially The Count, which I've read 50% of during 2009. I'll definitely restart it, if I pick it up again. And A Tale will be my first Dickens's book ever, should I actually finish it, so it's a close call between the two.

after looking through a few of the books on my TBR pile, I decided to read either Charles Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities or Alexandre Dumas - The Count of Monte Cristo. I've been putting off each for a long while, especially The Count, which I've read 50% of during 2009. I'll definitely restart it, if I pick it up again. And A Tale will be my first Dickens's book ever, should I actually finish it, so it's a close call between the two.

Those are two of my favorite books, Vinay! Did you not enjoy the Count when you started it last year? I'm sorry to hear it if that's the case. It's pretty daunting though, I'll admit, although I've read it twice ;). I also love the Dickens. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice! :D

I decided to start The Ghost Writer by John Harwood last night and got about 40 pages in. It's a previous gift from Weave and I'm excited to read it! It looks right up my alley :D. Thanks again, Weave!

I managed to get a few good books from the library yesterday including

Suddenly in the Depths of The Forest - Amos Oz

Thirty Three Teeth - Colin Cotterill

Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater

Fire Study - Maria V Snyder (read this part 2 of quite a good little fantasy book)

My current read is Good Morning Nantwich - Phil Jupitus this is quite an interesting read about the creation of BBC 6 Music and his previous career in radio, I manged to get a few of his shows when it was on 6 Music and they were brilliant.

This afternoon I have rearranged my bookshelves in my lounge so that I can fit my new purchases on. I've had fun, dusting, shuffling and hoovering and putting my lovely reads in place. In fact, I'm sitting in my corner, in my reading chair surrounded by them right now. I'm almost relaxed! biggrin.gif

Those are two of my favorite books, Vinay! Did you not enjoy the Count when you started it last year? I'm sorry to hear it if that's the case. It's pretty daunting though, I'll admit, although I've read it twice ;). I also love the Dickens. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice! :D

I looove The Count! But I somehow stop reading even though I love every scene. Circumstances I guess. Started A tale of two cities for now.

Today, I bought: The Passage by Justin Cronin

Go Team Mac!

I hope you enjoy 'The Passage', its an ace book :)

I am enjoying 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak :)

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (apologies for this, but I have to read it before I judge it);

No apologies necessary! You must form your own opinion, not go completely by others, even if the weight of opinion is one way or the other, something different wiggles us all. :cool:

I am getting towards the end of The Solitudes by John Crowley. For those interested, it is the first book in a 4 book series called The Aegypt Cycle, and it has so many interesting elements. Alternate histories involving magic, myths and stories that effect the past, present, and future, references to other authors (real and unreal), secret codes within the texts of books, Hermeticism, Rosicrucianism, and elegant, philosophical prose. If you are a fan of fantasy and/or alternate history, I think you would enjoy this series. The writing may seem a bit dense at first, but if you can get through the first few chapters, you will pick up the rhythm and be gently pulled into the story. That's what happened for me, anyway. :smile2:

Just bought this last night at B&N. It's been something that has drawn me for a while.

Room- Emma Donoghue

I've been curious about this one, it looks good. I'll be interested to see your review.

I also finished Deja Dead this afternoon. Great read, and very intense! I will definitely have to keep my eye out for other Reichs books. It's funny how much of a departure the TV show is from the book, at least this one. Both Temperance Brennans are strong women, but honestly that's where the similarity ends. Now I'm curious as to why they didn't decide to follow the book version more closely, hmmm...

I've read the first half dozen or so, and loved them, but after that it kind of became gimmicky and repetitive, for me at least. Maybe I just tired of them. As to the difference, I've only seen one or two partial episodes of the TV series. I didn't care for it, maybe because I'd read so many of the books. Reichs is a consultant on the show, if I'm not mistaken, and both Brennan's are based on her own experience as a forensic anthropologist.

This afternoon I have rearranged my bookshelves in my lounge so that I can fit my new purchases on. I've had fun, dusting, shuffling and hoovering and putting my lovely reads in place. In fact, I'm sitting in my corner, in my reading chair surrounded by them right now. I'm almost relaxed! biggrin.gif

What a wonderful feeling!

I'd had my books pretty well organized, but in the last year have been completely discombobulated order-wise by my OH's books, We need to re order everything now. But my excuse is that we are waiting for more books of his to arrive from storage. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!! :giggle:

Last night we did in fact go across the lake and bought:

The Sea, the Sea by Iris Murdoch

The Lost Get-Back Boogie by James Lee Burke

The Solitudes by John Crowley

Catherine the Great by Simon Dixon

American Lion by Jon Meacham [bio of Andrew Jackson's time in the White House]

Edited by pontalba

Lots of great purchases everyone!

Frankie and I went through some books on the weekend and Frankie gave me loads more books to add to my TBR pile. I'll have to list them later. We then moved her (temporarily empty) bookcase into my library, where I shuffled lots of things around to see if I could make my dream come true of having bookcases all the way around the walls (well, 3 walls). And it works! The bookcases fit absolutely perfectly with nary a centimetre to spare. So now I finally know that I can fit in several extra bookcases, which will keep me going for several years.

I didn't get much reading done over the weekend, but it should pick up again today. :)

Pontalba, I can see how the Reichs series might get gimmicky and repetitive. I know there has to be thousands of different types of murders that one has to solve by looking at their bones, but I'm not sure I could read them one after another. I do love the show and can't seem to get enough of it though.

Speaking of Bones, I left 1/2 Price Books today with season one! I know, it's not really book related, but I was in a place that sells books and I had a coupon! :D

Just bought this last night at B&N. It's been something that has drawn me for a while.

I would love to hear you what you think and I hope you will be intrigued enough to read the rest of the series.

I sometimes tend to read obscure authors, and then don't get a chance to share their books with others, because no one else is interested. :(

If you are familiar with Little, Big (my favorite fantasy book), I found the The Solitudes an easier read, but no less thought-provoking and with some similar themes.

Here is a list of books Frankie has given me since last Friday:

Poppy Z Brite: Exquisite Corpse

Poppy Z Brite: Lost Souls

AS Byatt: Possession

Elizabeth Gaskell: Wives and Daughters

Matt Haig: The Last Family in England

Barbara Kingsolver: The Poisonwood Bible

Valerie Martin: Property

Haruki Murakami: Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman

Elisabeth Robinson: The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters

Sue Townsend: Rebuilding Coventry

Irvine Welsh: Filth

ohmy.gif Thanks Frankie! friends3.gif

As of last night, I'm about 750 pages into my re-read of Peter F. Hamilton's Pandora's Star :)

Hmmm....this chap's name keeps cropping up. Maybe I ought to have a go? huh.gif

I read Suddenly in the Depths of The Forest - Amos Oz before work this morning (it is a very short book and I had gotten up early) it was quite sweet although not a lot happened in it.

As of last night, I'm about 750 pages into my re-read of Peter F. Hamilton's Pandora's Star :)

Hmmm....this chap's name keeps cropping up. Maybe I ought to have a go? huh.gif

That'll be my fault :lol:

I think you said you're a fan of Iain M. Banks but not really a fan of sf? That being the case, I can only recommend trying the following excerpts before you buy, as Hamilton's books are huge and usually come in trilogies. I started with A Quantum Murder and that was enough to get me hooked - even though it's actually the second book in his 'Greg Mandel' trilogy, each of those books seems to stand pretty well on its own. Fallen Dragon's also pretty good, and is stand-alone.

If you're feeling really brave, though, you could dive straight into the Night's Dawn trilogy, starting with The Reality Dysfunction or the Commonwealth Saga, starting with Pandora's Star - just bear in mind that each book is about 1,200 pages long :lol:

His latest series, the Void trilogy, is set in the same Commonwealth universe as Pandora's Star, so it's probably best to avoid those as a starting point :)

Btw, if you read one and hate it, I accept no responsibility :ph34r: :out:

Just started Denis Johnson's Tree of Smoke. I quote the blurb:

Set in South-East Asia and the US, and spanning two decades, this is the story of Skip Sands, a CIA spy who may or may not be engaged in psychological operations against the Viet Cong; it is also the story of Skip's uncle, the Colonel, who is CIA as well, and either misunderstood or mad; and then there's Eddie, Voss and Jimmy, who Skip runs into - or from - every now and again: he doesn't know whose side they're on, but he does know it's not necessarily his.

Two chapters in, so it's early to say (it's a 600 page monster), but could be a good read.