Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

This week I haven't read much, so I'm still at page 95(ish) of The Sea, The Sea, and it doesn't seem like I'll ever finish it :D

It seemed a bit slow, and not very interesting in the begining, but I decided not to give up, and it turned out to be the right decision. It's very good, and intriguing even.

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it, Brida. It's in my TBR pile. But then, what isn't? :lol:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just finished Blood, Sweat and Tea by Tom Reynolds. I usually read one fiction and one non-fiction at the same time, but I'm not sure which non-fiction to pick up. I have some 'paper' non-fiction that I could read, but since I've bought my Kindle I prefer reading ebooks. What to do...what to do? :hissyfit:

I finished Have You Seen Her? by Karen Rose today and wanted to go straight on to the next in the series, then realised, I don't have it! :o This calls for some remedial action I'd say, wouldn't you? ;)

While I'm waiting for said remedial action to unfold, I started The Rest Falls Away by Colleen Gleason :) ... well, it's not as if I've nothing to read is it?

And yes, The Last Dragonslayer is so awesome I could have actually read it all in a handful of sittings - me of all people!

That's excellent to hear! I can't wait to read it myself.

This week I haven't read much, so I'm still at page 95(ish) of The Sea, The Sea, and it doesn't seem like I'll ever finish it :D

It seemed a bit slow, and not very interesting in the begining, but I decided not to give up, and it turned out to be the right decision. It's very good, and intriguing even.

I'm hoping to get to this next month so I'll remember to stick with it if it seems tough in the beginning. Thanks Brida.

I finished The Story of Tracy Beaker by Jacqueline Wilson. It was just as great as I remembered it to be from my childhood. :)

Just finished yesterday, 'One True Theory of Love' by Laura Fitzgerald (bookring via Bookcrossing), now to concentrate of getting 'The Island' finished that I started ages ago, but bookrings got in the way.

All this talk of Little, Big has made me want to read it again.

So you should :) in fact, mereckons me, you & Kylie should conspire and read it simultaneously. What say you girls?

Late last night I finished The Tsarina's daughter - Carolly Erickson. All I can say is I'm glad it's over and now I can move on!

Oh dear. What was wrong with it?

That's excellent to hear! I can't wait to read it myself.

Let me just say this: The Last Dragonslayer is the kind of book that makes me wish I had kids so I could read it with them. It's THAT good.

Oh dear. What was wrong with it?

It was just boring. Plus I found myself really disliking the 'voice' of the book - Tatiana. Granted Tatiana was a Grand Duchess but she just came across as extremely bratty and snobbish. I have read a few books about the Romanovs and this is one I would unrecommend to anyone thinking about giving it a go, but thats just my opinion.

I have moved on to Shadow Forest by Matt Haig which I am enjoying so far.

What do you say, Kylie?

I'd love to, but I'm kind of torn. I've been so good at not buying any books so far this year and if I buckle for this one right now I'm likely to lose it completely and buy a load of books. Also, it's kind of expensive. :(

I'm 600 pages into The Forsyte Saga & totally hooked it's the first thing I think about when I wake up in the morning.

I've also sent off for a Slow Cooker recipe book in the Amazon sale, I guess that counts as book activity :)

Today I finished A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin

Cracking book - can't wait for the tv series :)

Last night I finished Endless Night by Richard Laymon. Fortunately the book did end :lol:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

I'd love to, but I'm kind of torn. I've been so good at not buying any books so far this year and if I buckle for this one right now I'm likely to lose it completely and buy a load of books. Also, it's kind of expensive. :(

If you have been good about not buying books this year, and buying this one would compromise that, then don't do it.

I'm sure Bookjumper would agree with me. :)

Just make sure you read Little, Big before you die and I will be happy. :wink:

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it, Brida. It's in my TBR pile. But then, what isn't? :lol:

Umm, the books you've already finished? :D

That's excellent to hear! I can't wait to read it myself.I'm hoping to get to this next month so I'll remember to stick with it if it seems tough in the beginning. Thanks Brida.

Definitely give it a try, it gets better as the story progresses. Well, there isn't much of a story in the begining, so I guess that's the problem :lol:

On topic - no progress with The Sea today, I'm affraid. I hope I'll find some time for it later.

*Now, sign out from BCF, Brida, and get to work...* :D

Oh I wish I could be reading Harry Potter for the first time

As a 19 year old who absolutely hated Harry Potter when it first came out, I am really surprised by how much I now love these books. I swear they are wasted on children. :)

I've just finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and now debating on whether to go ahead with the next Harry Potter book, or to have a break from it and read Room by Emma Donoghue which I bought the other day... Hmmm decisions, decisions.

I've just finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and now debating on whether to go ahead with the next Harry Potter book, or to have a break from it and read Room by Emma Donoghue which I bought the other day... Hmmm decisions, decisions.

Although I loved 'Room' when I read it recently I would suggest reading 'HP & The Prisoner Of Azkaban'. It is s really good read, with things getting a little darker, a little more serious, a little more real for Harry. :)

I read a little more of The Girl with Glass feet - Ali Shaw this morning which I am quite enjoying its like dark fairy tale. I also has a haul from the library including 2 graphic novels as I decided to expand in this direction a little more as I like the art work. These were Daniel X Alien Hunter - James Patterson and Dark Entries - ian Rankin a John Constantine novel. I also picked up a further Lee Child - 61 Hours even though this is further in the list than I am at present and finally Thud - Terry Pratchett to continue my Guards re-read.

I finished The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt.

I have started on The Gunslinger, book 1 of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. This is a re-read for me.

I must be tired. I keep editing my posts for typos.

Edited by Pixie

If you have been good about not buying books this year, and buying this one would compromise that, then don't do it.

I'm sure Bookjumper would agree with me. :)

Just make sure you read Little, Big before you die and I will be happy. :wink:

I promise I will (unless I die unexpectedly!)

I rang Borders last night to see if they had it in stock but they didn't, otherwise I definitely would have bought it. :( I went in anyway because I had $20 credit and 35% off fiction. I bought A Lover of Unreason by Yehuda Koren and Eilat Negev, about the life and death of Assia Wevill, who was Ted Hughes' lover. It turned out that the $20 had expired from my card (:() and technically I shouldn't have got 35% off because it's a non-fiction book, but Borders had placed it in their poetry section so I managed to get the discount. ;)

Last night I started reading Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth by Chris Priestley and so far today I've read a couple of chapters of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.

Very early this morning I finished Shadow forest – Matt Haig. What a delightful little book. Just before lunch I started reading Pastworld by Ian Beck. It sounded intriguing here's an excerpt from fantastic fiction

What if all of London were really an amusement park - a whole city returned to Victorian times to entertain visitors from the twenty-first century? That's the wildly original premise of Ian Beck's Pastworld, a high-stakes mystery set in a simulated past.

It got me hooked!