Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in your views on The Tsarina's Daughter page turner. I have had it on my Amazon wish list but the reviews were so bad I didn't know what to think.

I started The Vesuvius Club yesterday. It is the first in a trilogy of stories about Lucifer Box (Edwardian secret agent and total rake!) by Mark Gatiss. It is laugh out loud funny and am thoroughly enjoying it.

I'd be happy to send it on to you after SueK if it's any good, I'll keep you posted.

Also found out my reading group books for next month are Gilead by Marilynne Robinson and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I've downloaded a sample of Gilead as I'm not sure I'm going to like it, so I can read the beginning to see how I get on,

I'd love to hear how you're liking Gilead, I borrowed it due to the recommendation in Nick Hornby's The Polysyllabic Spree.

I finished Huck Finn last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm happy to hear you liked it, I haven't read it yet but it's one of those must-read-classics IMO. Also on a lot of lists :wink:

This morning I started The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe, which I've been wanting to read for ages. :)

!!! :huh: I want details!!

I'm stil reading The Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I'm happy to hear you liked it, I haven't read it yet but it's one of those must-read-classics IMO. Also on a lot of lists :wink:

Yep! I think it must be the one book that I have had on all lists (excluding dystopian). It's on my 1001, 1001 children, 501 and Rory lists. Woohoo! I really, really hope you like it.

!!! :huh: I want details!!

You'll just have to read it and find out for yourself, missy! tongue.gif

I've only read about 25 pages but I'm finding it very interesting. I've already been Wiki-ing lots of stuff related to the characters and I've been investigating extra books to add to my wish list. :D I think straight after this I might read Hell's Angels because apparently they overlap a little: Ken Kesey and his Merry Pranksters evidently introduced the Hell's Angels to LSD. huh.gif

I've also started reading Riddley Walker, which is quite interesting. It's slow-going because of the difficult language (I'm on a roll with slang at the moment, what with Huck Finn and now Riddley Walker!)

Started Friends Like These by Danny Wallace today. Read about 80 pages so far, and it's so pertinent to me as he's about 4 years younger than me, so I have all the same points of reference in my childhood, and so far it's making me smile and chuckle a lot! :giggle2:

You'll just have to read it and find out for yourself, missy! tongue.gif

Fine! Maybe I will! :irked::giggle2:

I've only read about 25 pages but I'm finding it very interesting. I've already been Wiki-ing lots of stuff related to the characters and I've been investigating extra books to add to my wish list. :D I think straight after this I might read Hell's Angels because apparently they overlap a little: Ken Kesey and his Merry Pranksters evidently introduced the Hell's Angels to LSD. huh.gif

Thanks for warning me about all the adding of new book titles! I think I might have to order a copy of Hell's Angels before I start reading my copy, I'm just happy that it's already on my wishlist and I want to read it for other reasons :D Hehe I'd forgotten about Merry Pranksters! I think I googled them and a few related subjects myself some time ago, and it seemed like there was so much stuff to read and people to read about. There's a book called LSD: My Problem Child by Albert Hoffman on my wishlist, and I have this faint recollection that I added it to my list after having googled the Merry Pranksters. But I never knew Ken Kesey was such a bad boy, to introduce the HA's to LSD :giggle2:

I walked 40 minutes to the Niinivaara library today, just to get the copy of The Woman in Black I've been dying to borrow for a few weeks now. Also got me loads of other books. A good day all in all :)

I'm still engrossed in I Can See You by Karen Rose and loving it, just as well, it's a doorstop! A good friend took me out to lunch today (also an avid reader) and we just 'happened' to call into some book shops :blush:

I bought:

Have You Seen Her by Karen Rose

Fade Out by Rachel Caine

Ghost Town by Rachel Caine

The Ghosts of Sleath by James Herbert

The Rest Falls Away by Colleen Gleason

Thanks for warning me about all the adding of new book titles! I think I might have to order a copy of Hell's Angels before I start reading my copy, I'm just happy that it's already on my wishlist and I want to read it for other reasons :D Hehe I'd forgotten about Merry Pranksters! I think I googled them and a few related subjects myself some time ago, and it seemed like there was so much stuff to read and people to read about. There's a book called LSD: My Problem Child by Albert Hoffman on my wishlist, and I have this faint recollection that I added it to my list after having googled the Merry Pranksters. But I never knew Ken Kesey was such a bad boy, to introduce the HA's to LSD :giggle2:

I walked 40 minutes to the Niinivaara library today, just to get the copy of The Woman in Black I've been dying to borrow for a few weeks now. Also got me loads of other books. A good day all in all :)

Ooh, I just Wikied Hoffman and realised he 'discovered' LSD. And he lived to the ripe old age of 102! I'm definitely adding this to my wish list; it sounds like a fascinating read. Thanks! It's strange how one book leads to another, and so on.

I can't wait to hear what you think of The Woman in Black.

In the post today a copy of Paper Lanterns by Christine Coleman. I have recently read it and ordered a copy for my friend's birthday and Christine has kindly written something inside for me. My friend's parents lived in Hong Kong a long while and she used to visit, so I am hoping she will enjoy the book.:giggle2:

I've just finished Isobel's Wedding - Sheila O Flanagan, and I'm really disapointed as to how the book turned out! I've just started Four Play - Jane Moore.

I was the same Laura, I did not enjoy the book at all, especially the ending! :)

I'm still reading 'World War Z' by Max Brooks :)

Edited by Weave

I'm finally reading Revelation by C.J. Sansom, the next one is arriving the end of the month, so I wanted to have this one fairly fresh in my mind.

Also bought a nice new copy of True Grit by Charles Portis.

Also added to our library is:

Saint-Exupery by Stacy Schiff

The Rag & Bone Shop by Jeff Rackham

Stuff,Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things by Randy O. Frost and Gail Steketee

Dead Funny Dead Serious by Martin Anthony Kelly

Norwood by Charles Protis

Moscow Noir edited by Natalia Smirnova and Julia Goumen

Ooh, I just Wikied Hoffman and realised he 'discovered' LSD. And he lived to the ripe old age of 102! I'm definitely adding this to my wish list; it sounds like a fascinating read. Thanks! It's strange how one book leads to another, and so on.

I can't wait to hear what you think of The Woman in Black.

I'm positive I've mentioned the LSD book and Hoffman to you before, back then when I was wikieing Wolfe and all the other gonzo writers etc. etc. It does indeed sound like a fascinating read. I'm only worried that it's out of print.

I finished The Kabul Beauty School last night and started reading The Woman in Black.

Edit: Couldn't find the book on play.com, adlibris.com or the two big Finnish book chains. Only on amazon.com where I've never ordered before. I'll check bookdepository.

Edited by frankie

I finished Lee Child - Persuader this morning really enjoyed it I am also most of the way through a re-read of The Night Watch - Terry Pratchett as I decided to read all the guard ones again.

I just got Jo Nesbo's The Leopard for Kindle. Current price is £4.08 and the paperback isn't out till July :D

oh SO SO jealous I have it in my wishlist on Amazon and know I will cave in and get it in hardback as I can't wait til July failing that I might have to save and buy myself a Kindle it would certainly make the pile of books I have read and not shelved smaller in the future

Edit: Couldn't find the book on play.com, adlibris.com or the two big Finnish book chains. Only on amazon.com where I've never ordered before. I'll check bookdepository.

Not available at the Book Depository either. :( I guess I'll have to keep an eye out at secondhand shops and book fairs. :)

oh SO SO jealous I have it in my wishlist on Amazon and know I will cave in and get it in hardback as I can't wait til July failing that I might have to save and buy myself a Kindle it would certainly make the pile of books I have read and not shelved smaller in the future

Actually, I was just looking at all the treebooks and ebooks I've still got to read and I'm starting to wonder if I'll get to it before July anyway :rolleyes::lol:

I ordered 3 books from three different places and they all arrived this morning. Shocked the postman by answering the door in my pjs though :D

The three books I got were

Everything is Illuminated - for the february rory challenge :D

Flowers For Algernon - for the february reading circle

The Ultimate Teen Guide Book - for my Ultimate Teen Guide Book Challenge. I've just had a flick through of this and its got loads of recommendations in.

Lost my mojo - have not read anything in days - is unlike me. See ya later when my mojo is back.

Oh Ratz! Sometimes life just creeps up on us, and demands our attention. Doesn't necessarily mean our mojo is gone. Just taking a nap. Just nudge it with a good book, and it'll awaken soon enough.

I just got Jo Nesbo's The Leopard for Kindle. Current price is £4.08 and the paperback isn't out till July :D

Curses! I wasn't aware of this being out...so the search was on!

Amazon U.S. - no dice, Borders - no dice... I found it on Abe Books...it's hopefully on it's way as I type. :smile2: