Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley

The Bell and The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch

Lost Boy, Lost Girl by Peter Straub

My Christmas gifts to myself. :blush::D

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still reading The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley and greatly enjoying it. I adore Flavia and her quirky ways. I also recently picked up Gone Baby Gone by Dennis Lehane.

I love Flavia too, Whitegold - Alan Bradley is great :D. I've not read the Hangman's Bag yet but I'm keeping my eye out.

I've recently finished re-reading Jane Eyre, and have now moved on to Moab is my Washpot (Stephen Fry); some light reading to pass the time before I break up for Christmas, when I'm planning on getting through a couple of books.

I finished Blackout by Connie Willis last night, and can't wait to get ahold of the sequel.

I bought it today! :D

All Clear by Connie Willis /yays!/

Also....

Reflex by Steven Gould

I started reading If I Should Die Before I Wake by Han Nolan and am absolutely blown away so far. Read 3 chapters today and can't wait to finish this one. Its one of those books where the subjet matter is so sensitive that you feel almost guilty reading.

Edited by CaliLily

Received a great package of books in the mail today:

Shirley Jackson: The Haunting of Hill House

Arthur Koestler: Darkness at Noon

John Lennon: In His Own Write & A Spaniard in the Works (I already have this but wanted another edition)

Haruki Murakami: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

Joanne Owen: Puppet Master

Chris Priestley: Tales of Terror from the Black Ship

Natasha Solomons: Mr Rosenblum's List

Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology (I'm practically drooling over this)

I've read about 60 pages of First Among Sequels today as well as some of the Plath's journals.

Received a great package of books in the mail today:

Shirley Jackson: The Haunting of Hill House

Arthur Koestler: Darkness at Noon

John Lennon: In His Own Write & A Spaniard in the Works (I already have this but wanted another edition)

Haruki Murakami: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

Joanne Owen: Puppet Master

Chris Priestley: Tales of Terror from the Black Ship

Natasha Solomons: Mr Rosenblum's List

Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology (I'm practically drooling over this)

I've read about 60 pages of First Among Sequels today as well as some of the Plath's journals.

Yay, awesome post day!! :smile2: I'm particularly happy about The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (I bet you got a copy that matches all your other Murakamis, so I can now feel happy about my copy and not forcing you to take it), Tales of Terror from the Black Ship, Mr Rosenblum's List (I want it!!) and the Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology. Soooo cool! :cool:

I started and finished Love Story by Erich Segal, it was surprisingly good and a really enjoyable Rory read. The ending was quite sad :blush: I'm currently reading Barmy in Wonderland by P. G. Wodehouse, my first Wodehouse in what seems like years.

Edited by frankie

Yay, awesome post day!! :smile2: I'm particularly happy about The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (I bet you got a copy that matches all your other Murakamis, so I can now feel happy about my copy and not forcing you to take it), Tales of Terror from the Black Ship, Mr Rosenblum's List (I want it!!) and the Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology. Soooo cool! :cool:

I started and finished Love Story by Erich Segal, it was surprisingly good and a really enjoyable Rory read. The ending was quite sad :blush: I'm currently reading Barmy in Wonderland by P. G. Wodehouse, my first Wodehouse in what seems like years.

My Murakami cover looks the same as yours and I was a bit worried I had accidentally ordered the large paperback version, but I'm happy to announce that it matches the rest of my Murakamis. :)

I've already learnt that aardvark comes from 'aard', meaning 'earth' and 'vark', meaning 'pig'. I could get lost for hours in my etymological dictionary. :D

I hope you enjoy the Wodehouse! I haven't read that one yet. And I guess I'd better add Love Story to my wishlist.

Two books arrived in the post today: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (for myself) and Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman (a xmas gift for my boyfriend). Still waiting on Cloud Atlas to arrive!

Lolita is one of my favourites. Enjoy!

I'm reading and enjoying 'The Maze Runner' by James Dashner :)

Good news! Happy reading Weave. :)

Wonderful, Whitegold! I can't wait to read it :D.

I finished The Ghost Writer today, and was thoroughly creeped out! I'll post a review on my reading log. Thanks go entirely to Weave for sending me this book! Big win :clapping:

My Murakami cover looks the same as yours and I was a bit worried I had accidentally ordered the large paperback version, but I'm happy to announce that it matches the rest of my Murakamis.

But my copy was all colorful and not matching the black and white copies at all? But I'm glad it wasn't the large version :smile2:

I've already learnt that aardvark comes from 'aard', meaning 'earth' and 'vark', meaning 'pig'. I could get lost for hours in my etymological dictionary. :D

I've never even heard of 'aardvark' before, thank you for the lesson! :D Could you look up Barmy for me and perhaps PM me about it, I've been curious about the etymology of that word ever since the Barmy Army story I was told by a certain gentleman. And now it's all the more interesting because Barmy is the main character in the Wodehouse that I'm reading. I'm really enjoying it, I always forget how funny Wodehouse is and whenever I read him I always think 'Gosh, why don't I read him all the time?!'.

I wasn't expecting much from Love Story but it was a really nice short read. I liked the witty banter and the name calling of the main couple.

Picked up 2 books last night during a last minute shopping excursion with the best friend. I got Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann and You Better Not Cry (Stories for Christmas) by Augusten Burroughs. Started the Christmas one, as tis the season. Its a small book, thinking Valley of the Dolls will be my next read :D

Also, my boyfriend pointed out that I may have a book shopping addiction. I buy way more books than I can read haha oops.

Edited by whitegold

Also, my boyfriend pointed out that I may have a book shopping addiction. I buy way more books than I can read haha oops.

Your certainly in good company here then Whitegold :D

I'm halfway through Gem Squash Tokoloshe & finding it hard to put down, if I wasn't so busy with Christmassy things I would have finished it by now. I managed to make time to visit the charity shop today though, I haven't been for awhile due to all the snow we've been having but today I bought

Lacuna Barbara Kingsolver

Guernica Dave Boling

I'm quite happy with my modest haul :)

As it's Jane Austen's 235th birthday today, I have the urge to dedicate some time to read a novel of hers. I currently have Northanger Abbey and Pride and Prejudice on my to be read list, so if anyone would like to give me a heads up on which to read first, I'd appreciate it.

Two books arrived in the post today: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (for myself) and Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman (a xmas gift for my boyfriend). Still waiting on Cloud Atlas to arrive!

Terrific choices! Both excellent reads.

Second hand book store alert. :)

Aloft by Chang-Rae Lee [i'd been looking for this one!]

Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir

A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery [such a lovely hardback just sitting there...lonely and neglected...]

Bullfinch's Mythology edited and with a Commentary by Richard Martin