Are you a Book Nazi?

Kell

My friends have commented that they feel they have to be really careful with my books as I too tend to keep them in nearly new condition. I was amazed, as like you, Kell, I wouldn't lend them if I was that worried about them getting wrecked!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...
Actually, I just asked him outright about it & it seems he really does worry about my books when he has them - it's kind of sweet really, but at the same time, unwarranted - if I was all that bothered, i wouldn't let him out of the flat with them in the first place - LOL!

Well, that's the way I feel about it. I'm careful with other people's books--I don't fold the corner of a page or lay it down open to a page--but I'm not so careful with my own. My books are read again and again. They tend to look it. LOL.

I think there was another thread where I turned myself in for this behavior.:welcomeboard:

I usually don't loan something out unless I don't really expect to see it again. It's better that way. If it's that important, I may tell them to be really careful and that I'd like it back in two weeks or something.

I have little kids and puppies, so getting attached to "stuff" isn't too wise for my sanity.

If possessiveness about one's books is being a "Book Nazi", then I am the Fuhrer himself. Nobody but nobody touches my books without my permission (and that goes for the wife as well) and on the rare occasions that I do lend someone a book, I check out their CV first and then put the fear of God into them to make sure that they look after it well. I am not ashamed of this attitude at all.

I reckon the previous owners of my Germany & Weimar Republic textbook cannot possibly have been Book Nazis. There are pages in it which are almost impossible to read due to little drawings all over the place. I don't mind annotations, but I'm not so keen on having these little pictures throughout the book.

Hi Kell

I do not think you are a book nazi at all, you just like your belongings to be looked after and you know that sometimes things happen, it does not make you scary, well not to me anyway. x

I am so bad when people lend me books. I start to worry knowing it would be rude not to lend them some of mine.

One of the things I do, is loan them out from the Library, and them pass them to the friend. :lol: I just carnt stand the thought of my books looking read.

• 1 year later...

I have been buying books myself to read since I was about 12, usually horror at that age, and since I've joined this club I've found myself remembering books I've read and then wondering where the hell they are and who was the last person I lent it too! :lol: Looking at my bookcase I only see about 50 books now ;)(I know I did lose a carton load when I moved house :eek:,.. but not 20 years worth!). I've also decided to give re-reading a go but now I'm gonna have to go in search and buy again the ones I want to re-read!! :)

So from now on there will be no more lending out from me!!!

(Unless of course I know its a fellow book lover and appreciator :lol::lol:)

I don't like lending books. If I do lend though it'll be some reliable person who knows how much I care about my books and they'll know to take good care of them. People have always returned my books and in good condition too, that's why I can't really understand how there can be so many of you who have gone through the tragedy of someone lending your books and not returning them. It might have something to do with the fact that I always write down the titles and the name of the person who's taking my books :lol:

Since I tend to make a lot of notes in my books, I'm generally more careful about who I lend them to. I don't want just anyone reading my marginalia, and I also want to make sure I don't lose my carefully annotated books!

That said, I generally don't care what people do to my books when I lend them out, as long as they don't come back destroyed. :) No one has dared adding their own marginalia, although I would be delighted if someone did so someday! (Maybe I just don't give them enough room in the margins because my own notes crowd the page! :lol: )

I don't tend to lend things to people, I don't know anyone who reads, and books are about all I have worth lending.

That said, I know myself that if I hand something out, I want it back in the exact condition I gave it in. Similarly, I'm more careful with other people's possessions than I am with my own.

Since I tend to make a lot of notes in my books, I'm generally more careful about who I lend them to. I don't want just anyone reading my marginalia, and I also want to make sure I don't lose my carefully annotated books!

That said, I generally don't care what people do to my books when I lend them out, as long as they don't come back destroyed. :) No one has dared adding their own marginalia, although I would be delighted if someone did so someday! (Maybe I just don't give them enough room in the margins because my own notes crowd the page! :lol: )

I've always been curious about margin writing. What kind of stuff is written in book margins? :)

I don't tend to keep any of my books (comes from essentially living out of a suitcase since I was 18, with all the moving around I did. At one point I was in a new town every 4-6 weeks, for 4 straight years). My books get sent home to my Mom or Sisters, & they pass them around themselves & my brother, who then make sure that they get given back to Mom & she takes them into the hospital & to the Senior's apartment complex that's near where she lives.

I've always been curious about margin writing. What kind of stuff is written in book margins? :lol:

Hmm.. good question! I obviously can't speak for others, but my own marginalia tend to be quick references to certain themes that keep popping up in a particular book or references to things that I am interested in across various books. Mostly, I make my notes so that it is easier to find things later. (I think this mostly stems from writing more than a few English papers these last few years! :)) But some of my notes are more extensive and contain some analytical insights that come to me while I'm reading. Since they are usually written while in the process of reading the book for the first time, I tend to be pretty self-conscious about them. ("What if the later portion of the book ends up making my marginal note really dumb? Or what if it's just a dumb note in the first place?" etc.) So that would be why I don't really like to lend out books that I have heavily annotated. I also get uncomfortable sharing a book with someone in class if they have forgotten their own copy.

That said, I once lent a couple of VERY heavily annotated books to my mom, and she really seemed to appreciate the attention my notes drew to some things. :)

I'm one of those people who can read a paperback and not leave a mark on it (in fact, I have several paperbacks that I have read multiple times, and apart from some yellowing of their pages due to age, they are practically pristine).

My biggest fear is getting a girlfriend who breaks spines! (books, obviously, I don't know many shot-putters!).

I don't like lending books out after the bad experiences I've had with some of my favourites (getting lost, food stains and spines being completely ripped off!! :lol:) but I think I still would let a friend borrow one if they really wanted to.

I do have one funny story though. My boyfriend doesn't read, he just isn't interested in it at all. But, last night, he asked if he could read Twilight, probably as a result of my near obsession. Once I'd got over the shock, I agreed. After about ten minutes, I looked over and stared in horror when I saw he was holding the book with a grip that was denting the pages and bending the spine :):motz:haha! He saw my face and then went on to ask "How do you hold a book then?". I explained and demonstrated :). To which he replied "Yeah but you're reading a hardback...how am I supposed to hold a softback?". How cute is that?!

After about ten minutes, I looked over and stared in horror when I saw he was holding the book with a grip that was denting the pages and bending the spine :lol::motz:haha! He saw my face and then went on to ask "How do you hold a book then?". I explained and demonstrated :). To which he replied "Yeah but you're reading a hardback...how am I supposed to hold a softback?". How cute is that?!

:):lol: You've got him well trained!