Stephen King

Michelle

I'm not borrowing any books, I still have poor Gyre's copy of The Fetch due to mojo loss :D (If you want that back at any time Gyre just say so, I've already had it for way too long. I'm nearly finished it.)

Don't be worrying about 'The Fetch', whenever you are ready :lol:

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roxi, chrysalis_stage, I have just downloaded the audio version of 'Jerusalem's Lot', I just need to scan it, etc, would you like me to email it to you both? :lol:

Hi Roxi and chrysalis_stage, sorry for the delay, I am still trying to attach it, it is taking ages, hopefully it won't be much longer:lol:

Reading through your comments a lot of people like 'It' I liked this one too; I think it is possibly the concept of an alien being that takes the form of whatever you are scared of that I found so gripping.

I also liked 'Misery' which I found so much better than the film version eventhough I did also enjoy the movie.

I didn't really like 'The Girl Who Loves Tom Gordan' Stephen King seemed to be attempting to take a different direction with this book which didn't really appeal to me. Also I didn't really like his first book 'Carrie' I don't know why it just bored me and it is only a novella.

Reading through your comments a lot of people like 'It' I liked this one too; I think it is possibly the concept of an alien being that takes the form of whatever you are scared of that I found so gripping.

I also liked 'Misery' which I found so much better than the film version eventhough I did also enjoy the movie.

I didn't really like 'The Girl Who Loves Tom Gordan' Stephen King seemed to be attempting to take a different direction with this book which didn't really appeal to me. Also I didn't really like his first book 'Carrie' I don't know why it just bored me and it is only a novella.

Hi Ricky, I liked 'The Girl who loved Tom Gordon' but it was not his best and I agree it did seem like he was attempting to take a different direction. I liked 'Carrie', the story was interesting.

'IT' is one of my favourite, as is 'The Stand' (Randall Flagg continues to appear in Stephen King books in different forms).

Can I please ask that arrangements to share books etc are kept to PM, as it rather distracts from the thread. Thank you. :lol:

I'm actually listening to Salem's Lot at the moment.. it seemed a bit slow to start with, but in fact that just helped to build up the tension - and now it's getting rather scary!

At first I was surprised that King was going to have children as vamps.. but then I remembered Pet Semetary!

Can I please ask that arrangements to share books etc are kept to PM, as it rather distracts from the thread. Thank you. :D

I'm actually listening to Salem's Lot at the moment.. it seemed a bit slow to start with, but in fact that just helped to build up the tension - and now it's getting rather scary!

At first I was surprised that King was going to have children as vamps.. but then I remembered Pet Semetary!

Sorry Michelle, will do :lol:

I don't think its possible to forget Pet Semetary!

I picked up a few of Stephen King's books online recently and they've just sat there gathering dust on my bedroom shelves ever since; due in part to me acquiring more books lately - perhaps more than I anticipated at the time - that I can't help but feel a little overwhelmed by the prospect of getting through all of them. That, and the largely unfavourable review he got from a friend of mine who in typical brazen-faced fashion called one of the world's best selling writers of fiction 'just not that good'. :lol:

I am currently reading 'IT' at the moment and I am finding it difficult to get into.

I really want to get through it because so many people have said that it is an amazing book.

I hope it lives up to its expectations.:D

Hi Blackstar, 'IT' will live up to your expectations, it takes awhile to get into it but once you do, I am sure you will enjoy it. :tong:

hey, Thanks gyre.

I hope so, This is the first Stephen King book I have read and I hope to read more of his.

Which Stephen King books are the best reads?

Well I like most of them but my favourites are 'IT', 'Firestarter', 'Salem's Lot', 'Cujo' and 'The Dark Tower' series. :tong:

My vote goes for The Shining, Blackstar! Definitely one of my most faves. I would also highly recommend Christine, and his short story books Night Shift and Different Seasons are excellent.

Best Stephen King -

The Stand

IT

Salem's Lot

Cell

The Dark Tower series

I also have a soft spot for Carrie and Pet Sematary as they were the first two King books I ever read!

My vote goes for The Shining, Blackstar! Definitely one of my most faves. I would also highly recommend Christine, and his short story books Night Shift and Different Seasons are excellent.

I forgot 'Nightshift' and 'Different Seasons', thanks peacefield :D

I can't says that I enjoyed the movies made from the Stephen King novels.

I found them much more scary in books, and there is no change.

Stephen King his the authors of my two favorite books:

The dark Half and The Storm Of the Century.

(I actually enjoyed the TVserie of The Storm of the Century, the demon was play by my one of my favorite actors) ^.^

When it comes to King, I've always failed to understand his fanbase. I've read quite a bit of horror, Herbert for instance I find quite enjoyable. But with King I have always found myself checking my watch twice, seeing if I have any voicemails or texts, reading through my emails, anything really, before I make it past the end of the first page. That is until...

A friend of mine insisted I borrow her copy of The Gunslinger, from The Dark Tower series. Reluctantly, on my lunch break, I opened the cover, skipped the extremely extensive intro, and flipped to the opening page of chapter 1.

As it's the first line of the entire series, I don't see the need to blank it as a spoiler (correct me if I'm wrong :lol:)... so, from:

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" I was hooked. Right up until the widely discussed ending of the series. And so, on my prized bookshelves, with the likes of Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind, Terry Pratchett (there's a common theme with fantasy authors, but I can't place it :D), Trudi Canavan and Robert Jordan, Stephen King finally has his place. Blinding series, with which King redeemed himself with me. And with a refreshed attitude I will be reattempting some of his other novels in the near future.