Stephen King

Michelle

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerald's Game was really good in the end but I have to warn you Lisa-Marie, I tried reading the book three times before I got into it, and even then I sometimes found it really long-winded and even boring. But that was just me, you might like it. When I got to then end I was happy that I'd persevered, the ending was really good :ditto:

I love Stephen King's books with a passion but as already mentioned his books do tend to be hit and miss. In my opinion, most of the books he has written are fantastic, with The Stand yet to be bettered, but there are a couple which i didn't enjoy at all like Cujo, Tommyknockers, Bag of Bones, Insomnia and Hearts in Atlantis.

But he has definitely managed to scare me on more than one occasion! My big fear is that he is losing the ability to deliver the sucker punch, jaw on the floor ending to his stories that he has done in previous books. The ending to IT was terrible let's not mince words, it just appeared so out of bounds to the rest of the (quite good) book and Under the Dome had an ending that made me snort in disgust, pure laziness! I hope he regains some of his earlier flame because a satisfying ending is essential in horror. :ditto:

Havent actually read that one yet :ditto: <i know i know, call yourself a fan...>

Its on my list after i finish Cell, a book he released recently. At the time of Duma Key release i was reading a lot of other books and studying at college and i never got around to it, but i have read a few reviews online and it is generally positive, i will post my opinion when i have read it in the coming weeks.

:ditto:

I look forward to your review if I haven't read it by then. My mate has read it and she loved it!

Yes i will read it in the next month or two. I am in the middle of a book named Precious at moment and i hate reading more than one book at a time so i will dedicate my full attention to it soon. Have you read many of his books then? As you may tell i am obsessed with him, in a non-killer way of course! :lol:

Yes, your name kind of gave it away :ditto:

I've never read a book of his yet I have seen the films:blush:. I do have a friend who is a big fan so I really should give him a go. I think I will start with Duma Key and see where I go from there:mrgreen:

I've not read all of this thread, but I know that SK wrote a book in a series. There are a few of them and I can't remember for the life of me what they are called!

He wrote a very good sci-fi series called The Dark Tower and also he wrote as Richard Bachman for another series. Both series are well worth reading. Several other unofficial books and spin-off magazines were produced from his books for example 'Captain Trips' magazines/books which deals with alternative stories from The Stand and the superflu which claims most of mankind.

King himself is also a bit of an Alfred Hitchcock when it comes to movies of his books- he appeared as an orchestra conductor in his own remake of The Shining in 1997 starring Rebecca de Morney, and also as a member of the waste council in Boulder in the adaptation of The Stand.

He wrote a very good sci-fi series called The Dark Tower

Science fiction? Aren't they more like fantasy? Honestly, I have only read the first three or something so far, but, but.. they felt more like a sort of fantasy for me. Not classic fantasy, but why would you call it sci-fi? Do the later books turn towards sci-fi more? Hmm.

Okay, from wikipedia:

The Dark Tower is a series of seven books written by American author Stephen King between 1970 and 2004. The series incorporates themes from multiple genres, including fantasy fiction, science fantasy, horror and western elements.
Guess we were both right hee hee.. though seriously, fantasy fiction and science fantasy? :roll:

Actually one book overlooked by Stephen King is Thinner writing as Richard Bachman....an easy to read little horror about a meat pie, gypsy curse....and a good weight loss diet :roll:

I read that years ago, I think I have it somewhere it's very simplistic and not one I would recommend, it's like something he wrote when he couldnt sleep one night and was bored.

Didnt they make a movie or tv drama out of that? I seem to remember it and it was god awful. :)

I read that years ago, I think I have it somewhere it's very simplistic and not one I would recommend, it's like something he wrote when he couldnt sleep one night and was bored.

Didnt they make a movie or tv drama out of that? I seem to remember it and it was god awful. :roll:

Yes, they did make a movie of it and yes, it was pure godawful. But since the book wasn't exactly a classic, then there wasn't the same outcry as the movie of The Shining, which King hated.

Yes, they did make a movie of it and yes, it was pure godawful. But since the book wasn't exactly a classic, then there wasn't the same outcry as the movie of The Shining, which King hated.

I didnt know he hated it, very strange. It is the only film adaptation of his work I can think of that in my opinion actually bettered the story, which is probably why he didnt like it I suppose; because it was different to and actually better than the book.

*ducks for cover*

I didnt know he hated it, very strange. It is the only film adaptation of his work I can think of that in my opinion actually bettered the story, which is probably why he didnt like it I suppose; because it was different to and actually better than the book.

*ducks for cover*

Personally i thought the book was far superior to the movie in many ways. King hated the movie because it failed to include many key scenes like the hedge animals coming to life, the pressurized boiler which underpins the unforgettable climax, the 1920's glittering mask parties amongst the elite at the Overlook Hotel and several other areas.

As a stand alone movie about the gradual descent into madness of a failed writer and the effects on his young family, its fantastic as Nicholson chews his part up with aplomb, but the story was at odds with the setting: the haunted hotel just happened to be the venue in which a man lost his grip on reality; none of the malevolent history of the hotel was explored in the movie bar a token 5 minute chat about murders in the past and a rushed scene warning the boy of traces of psychic bad energy- shine on. Nothing of the corruption and evil deeds amongst the gangsters and wealthy owners of the land were even touched on.

I appreciate that movies can't contain all of the book and budget constraints are common but cutting some of the main elements of the book was unforgivable and this is the main reason why its not a faithful adaptation. Also, the book is scary in ways that creep into your subconscious and lurks there for years. An eerily empty, snowbound Hotel with malevolent energy practically fizzling off the walls and doors won't be more skilfully explained and laid out as brilliantly as King for many many decades. The movie has a few unnerving moments but nothing that lingers after the end credits. Speaking of which the ending of the movie was terrible and was such an obvious tacked-on job that smacked of laziness and poor direction.

Stanley Kubrick was an established director at the time of the release of The Shining and his works were famous for their eccentric content and masterful storytelling ( 2001 Space Odyssey and Lolita ) but he had hit something of a writers block at the end of the 1970s and picked what was at the time a cult schlocky horror tale to adapt and his removal of major plot points was more tolerated as King wasn't as established a writer at the time of the release of The Shining (1977) and so such practices were tolerated as the writer didn't have the clout he now has.

King remade the movie in 1997 including all the parts of the book and it almost would have worked but for the terribly misguided casting of the young boy who played Danny who couldn't keep a straight face during his scenes :roll:. Shame, as it could have been something special.

Ultimately, its a great horror movie but a bad novel adaptation.

You can come out now. :)

Edited by StephenKingman

King remade the movie in 1997 including all the parts of the book and it almost would have worked but for the terribly misguided casting of the young boy who played Danny who couldn't keep a straight face during his scenes :roll:. Shame, as it could have been something special.

Couldn't agree more.. I did like this film, the guy who "replaced" Jack Nicholson might have been less evil, but certainly got the job done.. didn't like the wife too much, but the boy, he was nothing short of annoying. Weird faces, bad acting, and he always talked like he has too much spit in his mouth. :)

Has been years since I've seen the 70's version of this film, didn't remember they left out that much, the hedge animals etc (now that was kinda scary) but that is weird, since it is a scene that freaks out most people..

Couldn't agree more.. I did like this film, the guy who "replaced" Jack Nicholson might have been less evil, but certainly got the job done.. didn't like the wife too much, but the boy, he was nothing short of annoying. Weird faces, bad acting, and he always talked like he has too much spit in his mouth. :roll:

Has been years since I've seen the 70's version of this film, didn't remember they left out that much, the hedge animals etc (now that was kinda scary) but that is weird, since it is a scene that freaks out most people..

The remade movie did quite a good job of building suspense and is certainly the superior of the two with regards to the horrific Room 217 (who could forget the exceptionally creepy old woman coming to life in the bath) but the young boy was a dire choice, he actually laughs in a few of his scenes if you look close enough! Such a shame as it really could have been a contender to match the book but without proper acting its pointless.

As for your earlier comment, sorry, forgot to reply, i couldn't seem to quote it in my last reply. I would class the Dark Tower as sci fi just out of habit. Fantasy probably is the official descriptive term but i just threw it all under the sci fi umbrella! Similarly i would just call The Talisman sci-fi but its up to however the reader interprets it, i guess. :)

The Shining may have been an (arguably) inferior adaptation of the Stephen King novel of the same name, but the film is also an adaptation of a very similar novel from some years earlier, which Kubrick incorporated into his script. It's 40% King, 40% the other novel (I can't remember which title he adapted though) and the remaining 20% is pure Kubrick. He uses the iconography he built through repetition and experimentation (the upwards camera angles, tightly controlled dollies, and fluid tracking shots) whenever the art of pure adaptation doesn't suit his needs, so it is easy to cite him as a partial "author" of the film.

The Dark Tower covers most of the alternate science-fantasy tropes, so I've always considered it simply SF - irrespective of the way everyone else uses the term. It has a lot of great stuff in between the shoehorning in of his existing characters - I like the idea of mechanical bears, and stuff which would seem ludicrous in any of the other books.

Just viewing it as a film, I enjoy Kubrick's The Shining. The acting was superb and most of it was quite well done. In comparison to King's novel it isn't quite as spectacular, but it's the only King adaptation that I really think was good. But then again I haven't seen that many of the adaptations, so I could be wrong about that.