Stephen King

Michelle

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree on the books SKM mentioned above, and like to add, I think it would be best to start with his earlier work. Most of us agree that those are the best, and often scariest. :friends0: But yeah, he's famous for books like the Shining, IT, Carrie, Firestarter (almost forgot about that one, but I do love it), Tommyknockers, hell, all of his earlier work. At first I'd stay away from books like Desperation (though this one is fascinating, I just think it's non-typical SK), Hearts in Atlantis or Cell. Those are, to me, not really Stephen King.

I too, adore the Stand and Talisman, the sequel to the Talisman (Black House) is a little less good, but still worth reading.

But really, where to start. There's so much. You could always start with short novellas like Cycle of the Werewolf (adapted for film as Silver Bullet).

You know what, check this out, and see which book appeals to you most. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King_bibliography

Good advice there! Stephen Kings early work remains masterful and still has the power to chill. I think as long as you dont start with one of his duds like Tommyknockers or Bag of Bones then it could be the start of a beautiful relationship!

Oh, and i agree with you about the style of Hearts of Alantis being very off key to his usual work but i personally liked Desparation, but the movie version was dire.

For someone who has never read any of King's books, maybe one of the short story collections would be a more suitable place to begin. With a novel there is always the possibility that it may not entirely live up to the promise of all the glowing reviews, but I've found the collections to be eminently accessible for those who don't really read horror or fantasy. Dolan's Cadillac is one of the best shorts, and even though the science makes no sense I really liked The Jaunt.

For someone who has never read any of King's books, maybe one of the short story collections would be a more suitable place to begin. With a novel there is always the possibility that it may not entirely live up to the promise of all the glowing reviews, but I've found the collections to be eminently accessible for those who don't really read horror or fantasy. Dolan's Cadillac is one of the best shorts, and even though the science makes no sense I really liked The Jaunt.

A good point, the only thing is King hasn't released a huge number of short story compendiums, and Different Seasons was a collection of novellas more than short stories, but out of them all i would probably recommend Four Past Midnight the most, or at least it would be a back up novel if one of his original novels failed to satisfy.

Yeah see, I didn't recommend his short stories cause I don't much care for them. They're just giving a hint of an idea, and then poof, it's gone. Over. Before it's even begun. I like long books, and especially long SK books. Plus, I think the atmosphere in the stories is not really King, since he usually does this elaborate getting to know the lives of the people involved in his stories.. and you don't get that in stories.

Yeah see, I didn't recommend his short stories cause I don't much care for them. They're just giving a hint of an idea, and then poof, it's gone. Over. Before it's even begun. I like long books, and especially long SK books. Plus, I think the atmosphere in the stories is not really King, since he usually does this elaborate getting to know the lives of the people involved in his stories.. and you don't get that in stories.

Add to that the quality of his short stories are varied to say the very least. Just After Sunset contained some of his best and worst short story work in the one book! Having said that i would still recommend Four Past Midnight if not as a first book then a follow up as King's trademark character development and writing style are present relatively unscathed despite the format. Night Shift, on the other hand, well lets just say the less said about that the better :D

Another early novel which may ease the King newbie in would be Christine; not one of my personal favorites but one which seems to be well loved amongst King fans so there is plenty of option out there.

Ive tried various books by this author and couldnt get into them

However, i did enjoy the Dark Tower series - though i felt cheated at the ending

And The Stand is the only other book ive enjoyed

I have enjoyed the TV/Movies based on his books better :lol:

See I tried reading Nightmares and Dreamscapes before i'd read a King full novel, didn't work for me. I read several King novels and came back to N+D and loved a lot of them, especially Dolan's Cadillac, there's a lot of Poe in that one.

My first SK was The Tommyknocker and I felt it was OK, enough for me to continue reading him. I enjoyed Cujo and I loved Misery but my all time favourite has to be The Stand.

I don't know about anybody else, but although King writes compelling novels, it's the details that stick out for me. In each book, I have vivid memories of fairly minor details in each novel, mainly they are disgusting, which is probably why I remember them, but I think it's these smaller facets that give King their unique flavour.

LITT

I don't know about anybody else, but although King writes compelling novels, it's the details that stick out for me. In each book, I have vivid memories of fairly minor details in each novel, mainly they are disgusting, which is probably why I remember them, but I think it's these smaller facets that give King their unique flavour.

LITT

I totally agree with you, I have vivid memories of some scenes from The Stand and IT, as they were so painstakingly described, the memories are almost like I was there.

It's the power that King has to conjure up a scene and let you stand there inside that bubble without even realising, standing shoulder to shoulder alongside the people you are reading about that is so wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

The Gunslinger is a notoriously dry and fairly slow read until you get towards the end where there is a fantastic piece of dialogue that really starts the wheels of things churning. I would persevere as the next novel is certainly great and the series itself is phenomenal.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll just have to leave reading it long enough for me to forget the spoiler, I guess - some time ago I read a scathing review of Neil Gaiman's American Gods which revealed the ending so I'm deferring that until I can't remember the revelations anymore :lurker:.

I'll just have to leave reading it long enough for me to forget the spoiler, I guess - some time ago I read a scathing review of Neil Gaiman's American Gods which revealed the ending so I'm deferring that until I can't remember the revelations anymore :lurker:.

Yeah try and push all that spoilery info out of your mind with more books and hopefully by the time you return you wont even know who Stephen King is!!

I do hate that when people blurt out endings or plot twists even when its by accident, it ruins your enjoyment of a book. Nothing wrong with a difference of opinion but revealing the ending is out of order. I know someone who has to read the last page of a book FIRST before she reads it proper "just to satisfy my curiosity"-madness!

We were talking about endings at my last Creative Writing meeting, and someone spoiled the end of The Dark Tower series for me *not amused*!

Dear god I would have destroyed the person who revealed that to me, but I toiled for half a year buying each book and reading it within six months and recently finished the series a second time, and it's a fantastic journey. I remember reading the last line and thinking jesus that is some insanity :)

King has a new collection of novellas coming out sometime, it's called 'Full Dark, No Stars'. If I remember it's the first time since Four Past Midnight that he's done it and the first two that i've read of that collection were brilliant, so I'm looking forward to this and hoping it wipes the 'Dome book out that I didn't like.

Dear god I would have destroyed the person who revealed that to me, but I toiled for half a year buying each book and reading it within six months and recently finished the series a second time, and it's a fantastic journey.

Did you think so? In my opinion the Dark Tower series always felt like a second rate sci-fi series written by an author who never seemed fully comfortable with his material. They are great books no doubt but they lack that certain spark that i get from most of his other works. I file the series under 'Nice try, stick to the day job'.

King has a new collection of novellas coming out sometime, it's called 'Full Dark, No Stars'. If I remember it's the first time since Four Past Midnight that he's done it and the first two that i've read of that collection were brilliant, so I'm looking forward to this and hoping it wipes the 'Dome book out that I didn't like.

Yep, Full Dark No Stars is his next book and i cannot wait. Four Past Midnight was more a collection of short stories than novellas, in the same vein as Just After Sunset which was released in 2008. Perhaps you mean Different Seasons? This contained 4 novellas, 3 of which are celebrated as critically acllaimed movies (The Shawshawk Redemption, Stand by Me and Apt Pupil, based on the respective novellas Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, The Body and Apt Pupil; the less said about the fourth book in that series the better...).

I cannot wait for Full Dark, No Stars, particularly because, as a huge Stand fan, he sets one of his 4 novellas in Hemingford Home, Nabraska, birthplace of the prophet Mother Abigail in the novel and the 3 other novellas from his forthcoming book are called Big Driver, A Fair Extension and A Good Marriage.

The bad news? Its not out until November....:)

I was going to say that I had been meaning to re-read The Stand for years, and that a Hemingford Home novella will spur me on to do that. But on thinking about it, I discover that I have been meaning to re-read it for decades! :)

On digging out the copy I have now, I see that it is described as "for the first time, the complete and uncut edition". Has anyone read this, as opposed to the originally published edition, which was the one I read?

I was going to say that I had been meaning to re-read The Stand for years, and that a Hemingford Home novella will spur me on to do that. But on thinking about it, I discover that I have been meaning to re-read it for decades! :)

On digging out the copy I have now, I see that it is described as "for the first time, the complete and uncut edition". Has anyone read this, as opposed to the originally published edition, which was the one I read?

I have The Stand, the 'complete and uncut edition' which I bought around 10-15 years ago.

One of the, if not the best book ever written in my opinion. Love it.