Stephen King

Michelle

Just finished under the dome at the weekend. I liked the ending, although I can see why some people may have been disappointed by it. I would have liked a bit more at the end with what happens to some of the charactors (don't want to say anymore - I don't know how to hide text to prevent spoilers!)

Definitely a read-again book - pity it's from the library!

Ian

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just use SPOILER /SPOILER with [] around each 'SPOILER' :lol:

I didn't really get on well with Dome, I liked the premise but it just dragged and swayed too much to be effective for me personally and I never identified with anyone, which is rare for a King book. I did like Big Jim though, what a crazy guy :lol:

I am reading Insomnia and although I am well into the book page wise it is a hard book and really very boring. I do hope it improves. I never start a SK and not keep reading so I will let you know how I get along at the end

Beccles, the first time I read Insomnia I thought it was quite boring too. Then, a few years later, I decided to re-read it for some reason (perhaps to see if it was really as boring as I remembered it) and I thought it was excellent and I really liked it! Strange...

I really enjoyed his newer one called Lisey's Story.

I think my favourites of his are Misery, Salems Lot and IT.

I like most of his books, but i think they sometimes drag on too long!

I also liked those titles, too, especially Misery. In general King does seem to drag out certain sections of his books when describing towns or characters, he can go overboard at times and his style of writing has also changed since his accident in 1999. I found a lot of his books post-99 much more of a slow burner than the raw terror works like The Shining and Carrie. For example, Duma Key takes a very long time establishing mood and anchoring the background plot, which makes the finale all the sweeter when Perse unleashes her wrath!!

Also, you reminded me of a moment in IT where a young Stan is chased down a tunnel by a huge bird that contains the spirit of IT, truly pant-wetting stuff. :)

Wasn't it Mike when he'd finished his chores who did that? I loved that pipe in the Kitchener Ironworks moment, all he wanted to do was pick up a souvenir, guess he got more than he bargained for :)

Wasn't it Mike when he'd finished his chores who did that? I loved that pipe in the Kitchener Ironworks moment, all he wanted to do was pick up a souvenir, guess he got more than he bargained for :)

Ah my mistake it was Mike, i havent read it in a few years now but the memory of the giant bird at the Ironworks is still crystal clear!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mcflash271

My favorite King book is definately a 3-way tie. The Stand, It, and Salem's Lot. Can't go wrong there. I'm currently reading Under the Dome, which seems pretty good so far.

OMG I forgot Needful Things! 4 way tie :D.

Edited by BookJumper

What's the scariest book by King then? :-)

Mitch.

I reckon either The Shining or The Stand if you want pure, spine-chilling terror, some of the scenes that King describes in The Shining are enough to make you want to close the book its that unnerving, and The Stand has an air of menace running throughout the book as you sense the ancient theme of good vs evil in the characters and the setting and of course in Randall Flagg!

For psychological scares try Misery, Carrie, Apt Pupil or Geralds Game.

My favorite King book is definately a 3-way tie. The Stand, It, and Salem's Lot. Can't go wrong there. I'm currently reading Under the Dome, which seems pretty good so far.

OMG I forgot Needful Things! 4 way tie :D.

Eh? Why was mcflash banned, he seemed an ok poster and sent me a few friendly PMs, whats going on?? :D

Just finished The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

I had bought this book years ago but never started it as the subject matter (a nine year old girl who gets lost in the woods) just didn't really interest me. However, having finally got on with reading it, I enjoyed it much more than I expected it.

The woods and all Trisha's thoughts and experiences as she struggles to survive are all so well described that I really could see and feel what King was writing. Certainly not as out-and-out scary as many of his other books, but the tension builds well throughout the story. I liked it! :(

Just finished The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

I had bought this book years ago but never started it as the subject matter (a nine year old girl who gets lost in the woods) just didn't really interest me. However, having finally got on with reading it, I enjoyed it much more than I expected it.

The woods and all Trisha's thoughts and experiences as she struggles to survive are all so well described that I really could see and feel what King was writing. Certainly not as out-and-out scary as many of his other books, but the tension builds well throughout the story. I liked it! :(

I also enjoyed this book very much and the plot intrigued me, i read it in just over 2 days and it is one of King's shorter books but very well written. Yes, it wasnt as scary as his classic works but it moved along nicely and i was rooting for Trisha

to destroy that beast near the end!

Edited by Nollaig

I also enjoyed this book very much and the plot intrigued me, i read it in just over 2 days and it is one of King's shorter books but very well written. Yes, it wasnt as scary as his classic works but it moved along nicely and i was rooting for

Trisha to destroy that beast near the end!

Way to spoil the ending! :(

Edited by Nollaig

I quite like The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, I couldn't wholly become immersed and connect with the baseball aspect but that is not to say that if it is written well I cannot appreciate it. Another coming of age theme which SK is familiar with, enjoyed it a lot and really thought it was handled well. Not an easy setting to keep interesting by any means, but then again King is great at holding an audience. The ending was okay I guess, I can accept it compared to other titles which have left me not too pleased and the tale unrounded.