Stephen King

Michelle

I'll add it to my reading list and give it a try. Stephen King probably deserves another chance, before I give up on him entirely. ;)

Sometimes King isn't easy to read; most time the first pages aren't very exciting, but after one or two hundred pages I can't put the book away, because it's so thrilling :D

I love King :readingtwo::lol:

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say my Grampa has converted me into a Stephen King fan! So far I have only read Misery and the Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and they were both brilliant! I will be definatly be reading more if his workds in the future!

I've read Carrie - I liked it, but wasn't all that impressed. I've tried Dolores Claiborne - the same thing happened. I've heard that Salem's Lot is quite interesting...?

I wasn't overly enamored with Dolores Claiborne but I did quite like Carrie, I thought it was impressive for a first novel.

I have to say my Grampa has converted me into a Stephen King fan! So far I have only read Misery and the Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and they were both brilliant! I will be definatly be reading more if his workds in the future!

I'm reading Misery now and loving it. I am rapidly turning into a King fan myself (although not his Number One Fan ;))

I have whole shelves dedicated to Stephen King. I see most of the discussion here involves his novels, but has anybody tried any of his short story collections? For me, they're definitely his strongest works.

I'm reading Misery now and loving it. I am rapidly turning into a King fan myself (although not his Number One Fan :motz:)

:censored: Have you seen the film? Cathy Bates plays an amazing Annie Wilkes! I also went to see it in my theatre last Friday and it was fantastic however it was a bit awkward as my friend and I were the only ones under 18! They wouldnt have thought that 16 year olds read Stephen King! :motz:

I have whole shelves dedicated to Stephen King. I see most of the discussion here involves his novels, but has anybody tried any of his short story collections? For me, they're definitely his strongest works.

I've read the Richard Bachman Short stories many years ago, but can't recall any others. Which would you recommend?

I am rapidly turning into a King fan myself (although not his Number One Fan :motz:)

I see what you did there :censored:

I'm reading Misery now and loving it. I am rapidly turning into a King fan myself (although not his Number One Fan :smile2:)

:welcome: I haven't read Misery, but I know enough to get the joke. :006:

Now that I think about it, I haven't ever read a full-length novel by Stephen King. I've only read his short story collections, including Night Shift and Different Seasons. I may or may not have read Skeleton Crew as well.

My brother has a huge collection of SK and I borrowed Night Shift (and maybe SC) years ago, I think as a 'taster' to see whether he would be too scary for me. I love the stories in both NS and DS (although The Apt Pupil is possibly the most disturbing story I've ever read).

I have The Stand and IT currently sitting on my bookshelf begging to be read.

Different Seasons contains some of my favourite King stories. I loved The Body (which became the film Stand By Me); and also Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption (which became the film The Shawshank Redemption). Apt Pupil and The Breathing Method (same collection) were both very good too. :welcome:

Ooh, enjoy The Stand! It's one of my all-time favourite books, not just of King's works but of ANY works!

I think it's largely because of your glowing endorsements that I bought the book, Kell! I'm really hoping to get to it sometime this year.

I think it's largely because of your glowing endorsements that I bought the book, Kell! I'm really hoping to get to it sometime this year.

It's a long-haul read but SOOOOO worth it (especially if you have the uncut version). I really hope you enjoy it as much as I do (I've read it about a dozen times by now! :welcome: ).

I've read the Richard Bachman Short stories many years ago, but can't recall any others. Which would you recommend?

Nightmares and Dreamscapes is the best overall in my opinion, but Skeleton Crew isn't far behind.

In terms of novellas, it's worth checking out Four Past Midnight for The Langoliers and The Bachman Books for The Long Walk.

Nightmares and Dreamscapes is the best overall in my opinion, but Skeleton Crew isn't far behind.

In terms of novellas, it's worth checking out Four Past Midnight for The Langoliers and The Bachman Books for The Long Walk.

Thanks for that and now you've reminded me I have already read Four Past Midnight, but can't remeber The Langoliers - I shall have to refresh my memory. (Looked it up on wikipaedia and it's still not ringing bells! :welcome:)

I did find The Long Walk a good read and may have to reread that when I get a chance.

I'm sure I have both the other books boxed up in the attic, but don't believe I've read either. Next time I'm up there I'll hunt them out.

I find much of his work hard to get into, would people recommend the likes of Cell to start out with?

I would recommend 'The Shining' or 'Misery' as these showcase King's talents greatly for introductory readers, 'Cell' is great but one of his 'later' works, it is highly enjoyable anyway, but i feel a read of an earlier classic would make you appreciate 'Cell' more if that makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Stephen King - Massively over-rated! In his favour he has tackled a fairly wide range of genre's (The Body, The Dark Tower Series, The Stand), and he even has some stories that are very clever (Needful Things), but to me his writing style is what lets him down. He gets engrossed in detail sometimes, adamant that he must spell out every single aspect, and his pacing can sometimes jar.

For me, a far better alternative is Clive Barker. His imagination is boundless (The Great And Secret Show, Imagica, The Thief Of Always, Weaveworld) and his horror is pure (The Hellbound Heart, The Books Of Blood).

Book Jumper is right in her point elsewhere - King's output, whether due to contractual demands or not, has been declining steadily for years. A writer that churns out average work in volumes simply to meet deadlines is not being true to the art of writing. He doesn't get my respect.

It's also an easy, familiar option to pick up King's next book, rather than look for hungrier authors with more lead in their pencils.

Cell was my first book as ive only recently got into reading his books. I found it an easy and pleasant read even though

the ending was disappointing

Im currently reading Duma key which i am finding hard to get into, what does everyone else think of it??

I have to say that I started Duma Key about 5 months ago, then put it back on the shelf, where it has stayed since. It seemed like it might get interesting, but I don't think I was in the right mood to read it at the time. Also, I'm not sure I liked the main character, but I do realise that I didn't give it much of a chance! I will return to it.