Stephen King

Michelle

If your a little nervous, maybe you can try a shorter one of his novels to get acquainted with his style perhaps? You sure can't go wrong :welcomebcf:

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Stand was the first book i tried. i got a few hundred pages in and then stopped reading it-not because it wasnt good, i was really enjoying it, just think i had other things going on at the time. because i enjoyed what i read so much i got alot of other SK books, but im still yet to read one!:welcomebcf: I have seen alot of SK movies/mini series and enjoyed most, so keep telling myself i need to read his books because they would be so much better. last night i decided to start on The Stand again, im only 72 pages in but im already hooked and loving it again! will definately be finishing it this time around:lol:

Edited because i just realised that The Stand wasnt the first book i tried, it was The Green Mile! When i was on holiday when i was much younger(in my early teens i think) i found this book, only it was 6 books making up the whole story. i think thats how it was released at first? so yes, i started trying to read those back then but couldnt get into them, probably because of my age lol

Edited by Bee.

The other book I have is the first from The Dark Tower series. I haven't heard many positive views on the series, but I will fight my way through it :welcomebcf: I didn't think I would like LOTR, but I love that now :D

The other book I have is the first from The Dark Tower series. I haven't heard many positive views on the series, but I will fight my way through it :D I didn't think I would like LOTR, but I love that now ;)

You haven't heard good reviews on the dark tower series? I know a good handful that rave about it, my bf included, I would definitely stick with it, I'm going to try it myself soon. :welcomebcf:

I'm afraid I haven't, but I'm wondering if those who read it just didn't like that genre in general. At least Mr. Holopainen recommends it :welcomebcf:

I have a huge book list at the moment, and a book club that I am going to attempt to stick to.

I think I'm a King film/mini series virgin as well :D

I have Duma Key, Blaze & Lisley's Story on TBR.. what does everyone think of them? I've only read one other King novel, Cell, and I enjoyed that very much.

I also have Lisey's Story, it's on my windowsill right now, i don't know what to expect so have backed off it for a while.

I have the green paperback, i got it for christmas i think, it looks really long though, i have no idea what lies in wait! :welcomebcf:

I have Duma Key, Blaze & Lisley's Story on TBR.. what does everyone think of them? I've only read one other King novel, Cell, and I enjoyed that very much.

My bf recently read Duma key and loved it, I even read the first chapter and was laughing at loud. Seemed to start great.

I also have Lisey's Story, it's on my windowsill right now, i don't know what to expect so have backed off it for a while.

My bf has just finished lisey's story, I'll ask him what he thought.

Yay thanks! I just don't know what to expect and whether i should advance it through my other King TBR books.

Duma Key - haven't read it yet. It's on my TBR pile. I actually started it, but something better came along so it got put to one side. :lol:

Blaze - I enjoyed this one. The best (I've read) out of the three.

Lisey's Story - absolutely dreadful; I hated it. I'd put this one at the bottom of your TBR pile. The main problem was that I hated the main character - the way she spoke annoyed me no end. :( I would only recommend it to someone I didn't like. :irked:

Duma Key - haven't read it yet. It's on my TBR pile. I actually started it, but something better came along so it got put to one side. :lol:

Blaze - I enjoyed this one. The best (I've read) out of the three.

Lisey's Story - absolutely dreadful; I hated it. I'd put this one at the bottom of your TBR pile. The main problem was that I hated the main character - the way she spoke annoyed me no end. :( I would only recommend it to someone I didn't like. :irked:

Thanks for your insight! Hmm, that sounds bad about Lisey's Story. For the most part King's absolutely brilliant and very consistent but occasionally he can slip off the mark, i may read some of his others i have before this then.

Lisey's Story - absolutely dreadful; I hated it. I'd put this one at the bottom of your TBR pile. The main problem was that I hated the main character - the way she spoke annoyed me no end. :lol: I would only recommend it to someone I didn't like. :irked:

TBH my bf normally speaks abit about the books he is reading, but he didn't speak about liseys story at all, it took him a good amount of time to get through it too so isn't sounding too good.

I must have enjoyed Blaze, because I just remembered that I wrote a review of it (something I am generally too lazy to do)! It is buried somewhere in this forum. :irked:

Hi - my absolute fave S.King novel is Insomnia - this one totally took over my mind, that guy has such an imagination, I'd fall asleep after reading and dream of the story.

I've also read Dreamcatcher - another great one, Bag of Bones, hmmmm was ok and now recently Duma Key - great first 75% of book, however, I don't want to spoil anyone's reading here as I note a few have this in your TBR piles - the ending went a little off key (ha ha get it?) for me. I'd be interested to hear others' opinions of the ending :irked:

Stephen King can't seem to hold my interest... *waits to be stoned*... :lol:

I've read Carrie - I liked it, but wasn't all that impressed. I've tried Dolores Claiborne - the same thing happened. I've heard that Salem's Lot is quite interesting...?

The general thinking around these parts is that 'Salem's Lot is a great read :lol: i find it flows really well and the plot is interesting and you do tend to care for the majority of the characters. It's a cool take on the vampire legend too.