Stephen King

Michelle

I think I'm one of the few that really likes "Carrie". I love that book.

I liked Carrie! It was one of the first King books I read.

- "Carrie", because somehow this man seems to know exactly what it feels to be a bullied teenage girl. Beautifully written, heart-breaking, terrifying for the abysses of human nature it exposes more than for the actual "horrific" ending (am I the only one who cheered Carrie on?).

Nope! I was cheering her on too! And IT is well worth finishing.

Anyone read Blaze? It's the only other King novel I have on my shelves, other than Cell which I've already read.

I've read Blaze and I really enjoyed it. Go for it!

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Misery is without a doubt my favourite King novel. It's just genius! I too love the way he just pushes the levels of sadistic......the sledgehammer scene! Dear me! :haha:

Haha! That just comes out of nowhere too! It's like, just when you think Annie can't get any more cockadoodie crazy... :D

And, i agree that Pet Sematary is also pretty disturbing, i think even King finds that pretty high on the freakometer or whatever. He actually used to be terrified that his son would get knocked down by one of those massive trucks when they lived close by a busy road such as that.

Has anyone read Misery?

I have this on my bookshelf and I'm really looking forward to it.

I think I'm one of the few that really likes "Carrie". I love that book.

Seems like a lot of people here did - I loved Carrie. I thought it was very impressive for a first novel.

One of my favourite SK novels was Pet Semetry. It scared the bejaysus out of me! :lol: I couldn't look at my aunts cat in the same light again :D

That's also on my bookshelf and I'm really looking forward to it - albeit warily :haha::D

Seems like a lot of people here did - I loved Carrie. I thought it was very impressive for a first novel

Even more impressive is that if the young Tabitha King had not rescued the draft of "Carrie" from the trash, we would not have this book. Can you believe Stevie actually didn't think this worthy of being finished?

Blimey, forgot about Pet Sematary - now that was a decent book and, in my opinion, the only decent book to film conversion ever.

Still hide behind the pillow at some bits - the spooky little boy.

scared2.gif

:D I agree with you there!

That's also on my bookshelf and I'm really looking forward to it - albeit warily :haha::D

Oh I do hope you enjoy it! :lol:

Even more impressive is that if the young Tabitha King had not rescued the draft of "Carrie" from the trash, we would not have this book. Can you believe Stevie actually didn't think this worthy of being finished?

Now that IS scary!

Oh I do hope you enjoy it! :D

Thank you :haha:

I picked up Needful Things the other day. My brother is quite a big fan of Stephen King and he suggested this one to me a while ago. It doesn't seem to be popping up around here much though. Any points for or against?

I picked up Needful Things the other day. My brother is quite a big fan of Stephen King and he suggested this one to me a while ago. It doesn't seem to be popping up around here much though. Any points for or against?

It was one of my favorites in my teens, but I haven't read it in ages. I really liked the storyline and there were some of my favorite characters by King. I've been wanting to reread it for quite a while now.

What was everyone's first King book?

I remember browsing through Waterstones one typically stormy day whilst on the way home from college, and i headed towards the back in search of horror. I had obviously heard about Stephen King but never really checked anything out that he'd written, except i remember reading 'The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon' on holiday as my mum had bought it from the airport.

Anyway, my first proper reading was 'The Shining'. I had seen parts of the film but never really understood it or cared much. When i saw this title on the shelves i was immediately intrigued as i never knew it was based on a book. So, i read over the next few days and barely put it down and fell in love with King's way with words and twisted genius of an imagination :)

My first King was either Firestarter or Carrie (probably Firestarter). I'm a sucker for stories involving psi powers, so I think I saw the film of Firestarter and then had to read the book. After that, it was Carrie and then The Shining (a slight pattern here, methinks).

I think Salem's Lot was my first Stephen King book. I then read Carrie, Christine, Pet Semetry, It, Needful Things and have Bag of Bones on my bookshelf TBR. These are the ones I can remember off hand ... I'm sure there's more though :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Ah no way! thank you for pointing this site out, i think i'll be on there for hours checking out the different covers! I LOVE some of those 'IT' ones, they are brilliant :smile2:

The ending was very frustrating imo too. I felt it was actually kinda lazy for King, why develop such a story and not resolve it? Still a great read though, it's great how he can do other apocalyptic-style stories but make them seem totally different and refreshing from eachother.