Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

Right I have finished Kraken this afternoon and I will post my thouhts on it when I hve thought about it, suffice to say it was a great book and I really enjoyed it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just started 'Testament of Youth' by Vera Brittain.

I'm wanting to read this, it's extremely moving by all accounts. I saw a documentary about her a year or so again and have been meaning to read her book since. Look forward to reading your thoughts.

ive given up on Great Love Stories of the World as i really couldnt get into it and as some of the stories were 100's of years old i really couldnt understand it.

but i started Fighter Boys by Patrick Bishop instead :lol:

You are putting the rest of us to shame, frankie! :lol: Finished Shadow by Karin Alvtegen, started Bad Blood by S J Rozan.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the Rozan book. I've never heard of him (or her, perhaps - see what I mean :D), but they had a "buy one get one free double pack" in Waterstones the other day, and I was tempted, especially as it was in the "3 for 2" offer as well.

Likewise. To my eternal shame, I've never read it, and I feel I ought to. Vera Brittain was the mother of Shirley Williams, unless my political radar has let me down.

I finished The High Crusade by Poul Anderson (and it was good!) and started Angel Time by Anne Rice. Next I'll borrow a book about a little girl sold by her parents, maybe in China or Hong Kong, I don't remember but when I opened the book I saw that it was well-written... And I have never read a book about a sold girl, although it happens too much frequently, so it will be my next one!

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the Rozan book. I've never heard of him (or her, perhaps - see what I mean :lol:), but they had a "buy one get one free double pack" in Waterstones the other day, and I was tempted, especially as it was in the "3 for 2" offer as well.

I had never heard of her (as I found out!) either, but succumbed to the "buy one get one free double pack" in Tesco - they are obviously having a very widespread promotion! I am about half way through now, and am enjoying it, but for some reason my brain is insisting in imagining it in a New York accent, which is somewhat distracting :D

I've gotten a shockingly small amount of actual reading done this weekend! :D

I did however stop off at 1/2 Price Books on my way home this afternoon and picked up The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton and The World to Come by Dara Horn. Both for only $2 a piece! :lol:

Ooshie and Kate, I actually would've like to go out this weekend, that's why I found sitting around in the house and only reading books a bit pathetic. In other circumstances there's absolutely nothing wrong with reading :lol:

Last night I started and finished The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and started Emily Chase's Roommates.

After finishing Kraken yesterday I was at a bit of a loss so I didn't read anything last night but this morning I decided to go into my new Boris Akunin Erast Petrovich book The Counsellor

Finished We Have Always Lived In The Castle last night after a 100 page marathon. Some way into my second read.

I am reading Emma by Jane Austen right now. I'm not reading as fast as I hoped though. English is not my first language and I'm just getting used to the old English writing style.

I'm also in the middle of my final exams right now (just 4 more!). Reading other books than my schoolbooks makes me feel guilty now, 'cause I ought to study to graduate.. :lol:

I had less trouble reading Pride and Prejudice, I find the storyline of P&P much clearer. The beginning of Emma was rather confusing to me.

p.s. Please feel free to correct any mistakes I make, I know my English is far from perfect.

Your English is great Me! And welcome to the forum. :lol:

I've read a couple more stories from The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I haven't been getting as much reading done as I'd like lately. :lol:

Great book Ophelia. I read this years ago and found it a great testament to the futility of war.

I've read a couple more stories from The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I haven't been getting as much reading done as I'd like lately. :lol:

Which ones are your favourites so far Kylie?:lol:

I finished The House of Special Purpose by John Boyne over the weekend - quite enjoyed it - and have now started on a new series of Medieval mysteries by Maureen Ash, the first one is The Alehouse Murders - it's good fun so far.

Just 50 pages still to go in Bad Blood by S J Rozan, so I will finish that this evening. Still no Nick Hornby book :lol:, but The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath has arrived so it looks like I will be starting that next :lol:

Just finished reading The Betrayal by Sabin Willett now to choose another book for bed:readingtwo:

I have chosen to read Unspoken by Sam Hayes

Edited by Heather
to put in chosen book.

Just 50 pages still to go in Bad Blood by S J Rozan, so I will finish that this evening. Still no Nick Hornby book :lol:, but The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath has arrived so it looks like I will be starting that next :(

They are really making you wait for that Hornby book, aren't they :lol: Good thing you got The Bell Jar though :lol: It's quite a quick read so I think you can finish it off soon and get to the Hornby book shortly.

I went to the library to take back a lot of books that I've read. I didn't mean to borrow any, but what do you think, did I leave empty handed? You thought correct :D I got two Hornby novels and two Irvine Welsh novels and a book which name I can't remember, but it's by Judith Guest and peacefield'll know :lol: