Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't yet decided on a :) book to read since I finished Water for Elephants! I'm mad at myself.

Anyway, I'm determined to choose something tonight. Also, I'm going to the annual sale at 1/2 Price Books tonight, so I'm bound to find loads of stuff with it being 70% off and all! ;)

I've been reading The Queen of New Beginnings by Erica James. Wanted to finish it last night but my eyes were really sore. I've got 70 pages left so should get it done today. Then I'll be moving on to The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen, can't wait!

I did indeed finish my book! Yay! :) I really enjoyed it. It was a nice read, a pleasant chick-lit book. Now onto Sarah Dessen for some young adult fiction

I finished the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. From halfway, this book gets really interesting. It's just sticking through the first half. Later, I intend to start the Girl who Played with Fire :)

Also, I'm going to the annual sale at 1/2 Price Books tonight, so I'm bound to find loads of stuff with it being 70% off and all! :lol:

Wow, US maths must be different to British - I was always taught 1/2 price meant 50% off! Trust those canny Americans to find a way to supersize a discount :)

Anyway ... still reading Dead Witch Walking, taking longer than usual, but haven't had too much time for reading over the last couple of days ;)

Glad you're enjoying H2G2 Whitegold, yes it's weird but awesomely weird, definitely one of the books that defined me :D.

Today I read 3 pages of Eyes Like Stars on the bus and NINETY-SIX pages of Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dod in the Nighttime, which I found under the till in work :( that amounts to a third of the reading I've done all year pretty much, all in one day - yay, I no longer feel like a fraud being on here!

Wow, US maths must be different to British - I was always taught 1/2 price meant 50% off! Trust those canny Americans to find a way to supersize a discount ;)

:(:D

I managed to read about 10 pages today, then I just couldn't be bothered :Dand my book order didn't arrive! :o

Also, I uncovered in the charity shop where I volunteer an absolutely beautiful 1883 quart-leatherbound history of German literature with magnificent fold-out illustrations for all of

Glad you're enjoying H2G2 Whitegold, yes it's weird but awesomely weird, definitely one of the books that defined me :D.

I just finished reading it and loved it. Quirky little book! I must pick up the others in the series! :(

I hit the sale at 1/2 Price Books tonight after dinner and bought the following:

The Art Thief by Noah Charney

Delicate Little Birds and Other Stories by Lauren Groff

Marked by PC and Kristin Cast

Queen of Babble in the Big City by Meg Cabot

Finished Plague Child last night. Quite enjoyed it - it's set at the time of the Civil War, which I think is one of the most interesting periods of British history. It's the rags-to-riches tale of London printing apprentice Tom Neave, who gets mixed up in the world of radical politics. At the same time, he might be the illegitimate son of Lord Stonehouse - or might he?

It cracks along at a fair old pace, but the characterisations are a bit thin, and some of the plot devices a bit clunky. The publishers are apparently going to take on readers' feedback before publication, so it'll be interesting to see how it finally turns out.

Bought a couple of books at the library. They keep a table of both hardbacks and paperbacks for sale.

Justice by Dominick Dunne

The Last Spy by Bob Reiss

and from Amazon, my U.S. Hardback of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I already had the U.K. trade paperback, but wanted the set in hardback as well. It's a lovely silver cover. Happily, as in the pictures of it, I thought it was a plain gray. It's quite pretty.

Pontalba, I read today that the US edition has the apostrophe in a different place to the UK edition. Is that correct?

Yes! I didn't even notice.

U.K. version is The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest

U.S. version is The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

:(

What's up with that??

Yes! I didn't even notice.

U.K. version is The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest

U.S. version is The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

:D

What's up with that??

Thanks for checking! Yeah, it's really interesting. :(

Less than a 100 pages to go in Jamaica Inn, i'd forgotten how good it is it's so long since i read it. I'm thinking that if i can finish it today i'll have a new book for the weekend.

I've just been to the library and took out:

Sparks: The Wedding

McNeil: Needles and Pearls

Hoeg: Miss Smilla's Feeling For Snow

Woodhear: The Forbidden Temple

Finally finished Dead Witch Walking. Good but don't know why it took so long for me to read it? Anyway ... picked up next two books in the Anita Blake series from the library, and received Runaway by Meg Cabot in the post!

Waterstone's have just informed me that it's double points over the bank holiday weekend, and I'm going to be near a store tomorrow - not sure how good my "no book buying" willpower will be :(