Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

From Tesco 2 for 1 I got The Scarpetta Factor by Patricia Cornwell and The Chosen One by Sam Bourne, and my mum gave me A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore. I had started 206 Bones by Kathy Reichs, but I have left it at mum's, so I have gone back to The Polysyllabic Spree - only about 20 pages left to go!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm nearly at the halfway mark of Crimson Petal & the White & really enjoying it. I also got another haul from the charity shop today

The Welsh Girl Peter Ho Davies

The Glassblower of Murano Marina Fiorato

The Outcast Sadie Jones

and for the kids

here lies Arthur Phillip Reeve

Mothstorm Phillip Reeve

The Book of Dead Days Marcus Sedgwick

I enjoyed The Welsh Girl (although I recall opinions on here were mixed), and I hope you will, too. I've had The Outcast staring at me from the bookshelf for ages, but I haven't managed to get round to it yet. It seems to have been pretty well received, though.

I ordered from amazon ~

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella (Twilight Saga) by Stephenie Meyer

Night by Elie Wiesel

Day by Elie Wiesel

Dawn by Elie Wiesel

And I borrowed from my sister~in~law ~

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

In the Bunker with Hitler: The last witness speaks by Bernd Freytag von Loringhoven:D

I absolutely loved both of these.

Good to hear i wasn't sure about The Outcast but for 99p i guess it doesn't matter, that's the beauty of charity shops :)

Did a spot of book crossing today. Left my copy of Zombies of the Gene Pool by Sharyn McCrumb at the Brig O'Don restaurant in Aberdeen at lunch time. THe waitress came running out after me, shouting, "You've left your book behind!". Nice lass. I explained about book crossing to her. I kinda hope she kept the book for herself now. :)

I stuck a little card for this forum in the book too, so I hope whoever picked/picks it up comes along to let us know what he/she thought of it!

THat's 2 books i've released into the wild this week - I left Whatever Happened To Baby Jane at the Buckie Farm Carvery restaurant on Wednesday... ;)

At my parents - Jonathan Strange was too big a book to bring for the sake of the 100 pages left in it, so I brought my Christopher Pike to finish and also The Lady And The Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier.

From Tesco 2 for 1 I got The Scarpetta Factor by Patricia Cornwell and The Chosen One by Sam Bourne

I got these from the same shop,plus Jeremy Clarkson's and John Grisham's latest.

Read 137 pages of Andy McDermott's 'The Cult Of Osiris'.

Good book by him as usual.

Polished off Inferno last night. It's a sobering read - 45,00 people killed in a night's bombing of Hamburg, and almost all of them civilians. As an account of what happened it's interesting enough, but the real questions it raises are moral ones. Is it right to bomb civilians indiscriminately? Is there such a thing as a "civilian" in time of war? Do the lives saved in the long term, by shortening the war, justify targeting non-military targets? Those are all questions which are as relevant today as they were 65 years ago.

Well worth a read for anyone with an interest in the Second World War, or military history generally.

Read 60 pages of The Curious Incident... in the shop yesterday; 67 or so to go so I'm hoping to get it done and dusted this afternoon. I don't care if it's a children's book, a book in four sittings is absolutely amazing for present-day-me, so I'm happy :) hello, mojo!

A trip to town resulted in these books coming home with me:

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner - Stephenie Meyer (of which I've already read 50 pages in Starbucks :))

The Chosen One - Sam Bourne

Martin Lukes: Who Moved My Blackberry? - Lucy Kellaway

Blood Promise - Richelle Mead

I have realised that I have been neglecting my Folio Society books for paperbacks, so have decided to leave The Scarpetta Factor upstairs for bedtime, and read my FS Possession downstairs. I have got out of the habit of reading more than one book at a time, though, so I will have to see how I get on!

Finished .... 'Case Histories' ~ Kate Atkinson (was really good)

Starting ..... 'Friday Nights' ~ Joanna Trollope

I've just started a librarything review book: Once in a Blue Moon by Leanna Ellis. 'tis OK so far. Think I'm going to read more of The Complete Polysyllabic Spree now