What are you listening to? (part 3)

Maureen

I listened and liked. I have decided to give Opeth a real try, because I realized that I love Devin Townsend, and he uses those "death growls", which I quite enjoy when it's not all the time. I realized that Opeth doesn't do it all the time, either. So I found really cheap new copies of Watershed and Ghost Reveries and they are on the way. If I like those, I see that I can get quite a bit of their back catalog in cheap boxed sets. Nice! :D

I have a feeling Opeth is a band that I will learn to love on multiple listens, which happens with me sometimes.

I know what you mean about death growls, I don't like it if it's in excess and there's nothing else. I think Opeth will quite possibly open up for you when you keep on listening. I myself started with the album Damnation, there's no death growling on it, but extremely beautiful melodies and singing and lyrics. I dare say you'll fall in love!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean about death growls, I don't like it if it's in excess and there's nothing else. I think Opeth will quite possibly open up for you when you keep on listening. I myself started with the album Damnation, there's no death growling on it, but extremely beautiful melodies and singing and lyrics. I dare say you'll fall in love!

Really looking forward to receiving those two albums now. I love discovering new music! (Well, new to me, anyway.) :D

Listening to Devlab by Devin Townsend at the moment. It's very different, but I can't say what I really think of it yet. :huh:

Both Watershed and Ghost Reveries are great albums, imo. I started with Ghost Reveries, listened to it, didn't like it, put it away, went back to it for some reason a few months later and it suddenly clicked. I think it's because I liked the music so much that eventually I just caved in to the growls. The thing with Mikael is that his clean vocals are amazing, and he can do it all live, too. I hope you grow to like 'em as much as I do! :D

Ooh, while I think of it, here's the aforementioned new song, sans growls:

Ghost Reveries is freaking amazing, listen to Harlequin Forest alone that's like a whole album worth of ideas. I've been slowly getting into Watershed, my fave off that is definitely Hessian Peel that is a journey. After watching the sonisphere feed I've got new appreciation of Hex Omega as a closer, beautiful song.

Acid Bubble - Alice in Chains

Both Watershed and Ghost Reveries are great albums, imo. I started with Ghost Reveries, listened to it, didn't like it, put it away, went back to it for some reason a few months later and it suddenly clicked. I think it's because I liked the music so much that eventually I just caved in to the growls. The thing with Mikael is that his clean vocals are amazing, and he can do it all live, too. I hope you grow to like 'em as much as I do! :D

Mikael's clean vocals are just so beautiful, he's one of the greatest. I swoon when I listen to him.

My winamp is now playing 'most played' songs in order. Number 78 was Sixx AM:s Van Nuys and the current track, number 79 is Korn's When Will This End.

Mikael's clean vocals are just so beautiful, he's one of the greatest. I swoon when I listen to him.

I have to say, he doesn't quite have that effect on me :lol:

Anekdoten - Monolith

Steven Wilson's voice has that effect on me. :blush:

Hey, at least I didn't say that about Geddy Lee's voice. :o:lol:

Anathema - Fragile Dreams

Excellent Anathema song! :cool:

I agree! :D

I'm about to listen to Opeth's album Watershed, which arrived in the mail today. I will do so right after dinner. :cool:

I had to google 'Geddy Lee', it didn't ring any bells, and when the results came, I did a massive ':haha:'

Geddy Lee is Nobody's Hero :wink:

:giggle2:

:lol:

You obviously haven't seen them live - the man is a god :cool:

There is a rumour, though, that when he hits those high notes only dogs can hear him. Which is cool, cos it means they've got a whole bunch of fans nobody knows about :lol:

:lol:

You obviously haven't seen them live - the man is a god :cool:

There is a rumour, though, that when he hits those high notes only dogs can hear him. Which is cool, cos it means they've got a whole bunch of fans nobody knows about :lol:

I'm glad you didn't take it to mean that I was implying you're Nobody :giggle:

I guess I'll have to take your word for it! Rush is a relative new band to me, so I'm not too upset. (And I'll just have to take comfort in having seen Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, Anathema, Opeth and Korn live :giggle2:) However, having heard the rumour now, I would definitely buy a ticket if Rush were to play for both people and dogs - their two target audiences! Two of my favorite things: good music and dogs :D