Your Book Activity Today - Thread 10

Janet

I have put Lisa Jackson's 'Deep Freeze' on hold to start 'Saloms Lot' by Stephen King.This is a library book so must get it out of the way by its due date.Oh yea,I just hated 'Lord of The Flies' too.Even though it was written well,I just found the story line very boring and really dragged out too much.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to need a few more bookcases at this rate :D

I have convinced OH to take me to Ikea so I can buy a new book case. He whinged "can't you get it from Argos?" but I was firm and told him no, I need a black one to match the two other bookcases I have. It's not too badly priced

Finished 'Genesis' by Karin Slaughter. I loved the cross over between the Sara Linton/Grant County series and the (wonderful) Will Trent series.

This is the first book I have managed to read since February. My mojo is finally home! :D

Finished The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ. Found it a bit dissapointing overall. Have gone back to Club Dead now and am 3 chapters in.

Finished 'Genesis' by Karin Slaughter. I loved the cross over between the Sara Linton/Grant County series and the (wonderful) Will Trent series.

This is the first book I have managed to read since February. My mojo is finally home! :D

Whey hey!!!! You read it!!!!!! I knew Karin Slaughter, would make your mojo work in overdrive!

As for me I have not had the time for anything lately, due to the kids Easter Holidays. Finally getting back into a routene. I was manage to read more of Untamed by P.C and Kristin Cast, and really getting into it. I just wish I had more time.

I also picked up a copy of Alice in wonderland and Journey to the centre of the Earth to read to the kids. It is going to be hard after just finishing one of the books in the Captain Underpants series. They love that series!

Poppyshake, I was a bit wary of Labyrinth too, but thoroughly enjoyed it once I got started - I hope you do too. :D

Thanks Ooshie :D

I agree with you about Cloud Atlas; if I remember rightly I was really drawn in at the beginning of the book and expected to love the whole thing, but was less and less impressed as the book went on. I kept hoping I would enjoy it more again, but didn't. :D

Same here .. it was like a book of short stories, some enjoyable some not but I didn't think it all hung together very well and it just got more and more tedious. It's disappointing when you find yourself not particularly enjoying such a highly acclaimed book.

Sounds like the bookcase I have, black to the ceiling (I need another one too :D) Argos are a rip off for their not even as appealing on the eye bookcases, good call! Will you go to the big Ikea in Coventry? I live just up the road from it and was tempted to cart my last bookcase up the road in a trolly but alas it was too long :D

Ikea also do black matching cd/dvd racks for under

I love IKEA bookcases. I assume you're talking about the Billy series? I have about half a dozen white bookcases of varying heights and widths, and I have one big black one that I got my Dad to modify so I could lay it on its side.

I love IKEA bookcases. I assume you're talking about the Billy series? I have about half a dozen white bookcases of varying heights and widths, and I have one big black one that I got my Dad to modify so I could lay it on its side.

Yeah it's a Billy one I'm planning on getting.

@Cookie: Ah yes forgot there was one there... reorganising books tis a good way to pass time as any :D

one that I got my Dad to modify so I could lay it on its side.

@Kylie: Yeah the Billy series! They are brilliant, that sounds like a good idea to modify them. I was tempted to get the black graffiti one when I was last there, think thats in Billy series too, but thought against my childish want.

I've managed to finish Goodnight Sweet Prince which I quite enjoyed - I also read Triple Echo in a day and now have started on Michael Strogoff by Jules Verne. I also received a new copy of The Ginger Tree by Oswald Wynd which I was inspired to read again after the "Turning Japanese" post below.

I have had a day of extremes today!

From the Folio Society I ordered:

Charlotte's Web by E B White

The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch

and got the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman and leatherbound editions of David Copperfield and Great Expectations by Dickens free (plus an umbrella...:D)

and from Amazon I ordered

Not long before the site crashed I started Disgusting Bliss: The Brass Eye of Chris Morris by Lucian Randall which was pretty superb. I need to watch all my Chris Morris stuff again now. Sigh.

Also read The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman. I'm not as disappointed as some people seem to have been. It may be because I didn't really have any idea what it was supposed to be like. I only heard about it last week.

I thought it was quite funny in places (the sermon on the mount).

Also the bit where

Christ goes to the privy and meets the stranger seemed really funny to me. The way it was written. Maybe it's just my childish sense of humour though.

It was interesting to read Pullman's more "rational" take on how things might have started and how stories grow and change from what actually happened along with people's agendas. And also a possibility that

Satan is actually responsible for the way Christianity has turned out and a lot of the corruption that goes along with it.

I also bought The Angry Island by A.A Gill and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, which I'm reading now.

I finished Tess Gerritsen's Presumed Guilty. I didn't love it, I worked it out too quickly but it was still an enjoyable read and I'll certainly read more of her work.

The next on the pile is Val McDermid's Booked for Murder in her journalist Lindsay Gordon series.

I read another one in the series about a girls boarding school but I wasn't struck.

I finally finished Dawn Of The Demontide by William Hussey - it was good, but not as good as I'd hoped. I'd put it on a par with his second novel (this is his third), so I think really the fact that his first is one of my favourite books just set the bar a little too high for his others!

I'm finishing the last few pages of a review book, and while I'm at my parents have The Good Man Jesus and The Scoundrel Christ and The Children's Book with me. Hoping to get them read this week.