lopeanha

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daniel Waters > Passing Strange

4188q2rperL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU03_AA160_.jpg

synopsis from Amazon

Karen DeSonne always passed as a normal teenager - and now that she's dead, she's still passing - this time, as alive. When her dead friends are accused of a high profile murder and forced into hiding, she has to prove their innocence. Which means doing the unthinkable and becoming the girlfriend of bionist zealot Peter Martinsburg, who she suspects of framing them. But if he finds out who Karen really is, the consequences for her will be worse than death...

my thoughts

As I liked Karen in the first two books, I was pleased that Passing Strange is written from mostly her perspective. There are interesting things happening which really want you read more, find out what it's all about. But not everything is explained, so I can't wait for the fourth book to come out. So far, I'd like Kiss of life the best, Passing strange could not quite hold up to all the emotions Book 2 set free, but it's still very good and I would definately recommend the whole series.

Rating: 4/5

Series: Generation Dead 3

Glad you're enjoying the Daniel Waters series lopeanha, I've just read the first one and have the next two ready and waiting ;)

I see you have Glass Houses by Rachel Caine on your MTBR, I'm currently in the middle of that series and enjoying it very much! I also spied Linger & Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, another two great reads, hope you like them :D

Happy Reading for 2011! :friends3:

Glad you're enjoying the Daniel Waters series lopeanha, I've just read the first one and have the next two ready and waiting ;)

I see you have Glass Houses by Rachel Caine on your MTBR, I'm currently in the middle of that series and enjoying it very much! I also spied Linger & Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, another two great reads, hope you like them :D

Happy Reading for 2011! :friends3:

Hey Charm, happy reading to you, too. :friends0:

Yes, I really liked the Generation Dead series, they were very good for my mojo. :D I hope you like the other two books as much as I did.

It's kinda funny that you point out The Glass Houses, Shiver and Linger, because I made a list yesterday of 15 books that I'd like to read next (all from my TBR) and all three were on it. These books all got very good reviews around here, so I'm looking forward to reading them.

Too bad you didn't like Deadly Little Secret, the synopsis sounded intriguing and like it could've been a really good read.

You're right Frankie, the synopsis sounds really good, that's why I was so disappointed by the book. I bet another author could make so much more out of the idea of the book.

Edited by lopeanha

Rachel Caine > Glass Houses

41yJV9FEo2L._SL160_AA160_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation, where the popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks in the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they come out fighting when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood...

my thoughts

I really liked this book and simply flew through the pages and couldn't put it down. The story is fast paces, there's always something happening that makes you go on reading. The main characters are just lovely (mmh Shane :wub: )and it's nice to have some bad vampires again :vamp:, especially after all these Twilighty books that are around (which I still love though :D ). I will definately stick with the series and will be ordering book number 2 today.

Rating: 5/5

Series: Morganville Vampires 1

Charlaine Harris > Grabeshauch (Grave Secret)

51oe%2BxQD%2BZL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU03_AA115_.jpg31v0A3DMTQL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

synopis from amazon

When she was 15, Harper Connelly was struck by a bolt of lightning, which left her with a spiderweb of red over her body, headaches, and episodes of weakness. Sometimes her right hand shakes. And she can find dead people. It's taken a while, but at last Harper's pretty happy with her life: she's making a living, using her unique talent to help people, and she's got a lover - her stepbrother Tolliver. That creeps some people out, but though they grew up together, and got each other through the real bad times - their parents' drug-use, the abuse, the disappearance of Harper's elder sister Cameron - they're not blood relatives. Then Tolliver's dad arrives on the scene, seeking forgiveness for the sins of their youth, and the police get a tip-off that after all these years, Cameron's been spotted in a mall. With all this going on Harper realises life is getting a little complicated, but she doesn't expect those complications to include Tolliver getting shot, or watching a cop die taking a bullet for her. Harper can find dead people, but now it's clear someone wants her dead ...

my thoughts

I liked this book better than the third part of the series, so I'm glad that the series isn't going downhill after all. :blush::D Unfortunately the end of the book feels like the end of the series. I hope that that's not true, because there is still a lot potential in the series.

Series: Harper Connelly 4

• 3 weeks later...

Val McDermid > Vatermord (The fever of the bone)

51bqhwYKNAL._SL160_AA160_.jpg519G4s2vFsL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU03_AA160_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

'You should have been a detective. If there's one thing the last year has proved, it's how good you are at finding things out. Not simple things. Hard things. Things that nobody is supposed to be able to find out. Things that are buried so deep nobody even thinks twice about them. The sort of things that turn people's lives inside out once they're exposed.' Meet Tony Hill's most twisted adversary - a killer with a shopping list of victims, a killer unmoved by youth and innocence, a killer driven by the most perverted of desires. The murder and mutilation of teenager Jennifer Maidment is horrific enough on its own. But it's not long before Tony realises it's just the start of a brutal and ruthless campaign that's targeting an apparently unconnected group of young people. Struggling with the newly-awakened ghosts of his own past and desperate for distraction in his work, Tony battles to find the answers that will give him personal and professional satisfaction in his most testing investigation yet.

my thoughts

This is the 6th book of a series and after being disappointed by the 5th, I'm glad to tell that this book is better again. Not as good as the first four but it's coming close.

Series: Tony Hill & Carol Jordan 6

Mo Hayder > Die Sekte (Pig Island)

41W3M1C7MYL._SL160_AA160_.jpg212R7VJFJ0L._AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

Hayder skillfully melds an atmosphere of fear and a gripping sense of place in this thriller set on a remote Scottish island owned by Psychogenic Healing Ministries, whose followers the locals believe to be Satanists. A humanoid creature with a long tail has been captured on video, and repeated analysis reveals no hint of technological fraud. But world-weary, thirtysomething hoax buster Joe Oakes is on the case. His history with PHM's former leader, Malachi Dove, spans two decades. Oakes blames faith-healer Dove for his aunt's horrendous death and for duping him into believing he had a deadly tumor. He published an expose, and Dove's threatened retaliatory lawsuit fizzled because the healer was presumed dead. Years later, Oakes finally lands an invitation to Pig Island, home of 30 PHM cultists. It's rather a paradise, except for the occasional smell of putrefying flesh. To Oakes' amazement, isolated on the other side of the island behind a row of pig skulls is none other than Malachi Dove.

my thoughts

After reading Birdman a few years ago, I expected alot more from this book. It was an okay read, it read fluently but there wasn't enough to the story. I did like the ending, though I would have liked that to be a bit longer.

Rating: 2/5

• 2 weeks later...

Derek Landy > Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant)

51oplbANT6L._AA115_.jpg516bHRJfizL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazaon

Twelve-year-old Stephanie Edgley inherits her uncle Gordon's estate and is promptly attacked on her first solo visit to the property. A mysterious skeleton-detective, Skulduggery Pleasant, comes to her rescue, explaining that he thinks Gordon was murdered and that she may be next. The two join forces and set off to solve the crime in a series of magical adventures that take them into a world filled with ancient evil creatures, including Nefarian Serpine, who seeks the Scepter of the Ancients and the infinite power it will bring him. Landy, whose previous writing credits include horror screenplays, keeps the action brisk, his characters slightly macabre, and uses humor to take the edge off the violence. The story line is intricate (with numerous plot twists and switches in allegiance), and although her actions seem better suited to a somewhat older girl, Stephanie is a well-developed main character. The level of violence may disturb younger readers, however. This is recommended for larger collections where demand for horror/fantasy is high.

my thoughts

I really enjoyed this book, as it's very funny and entertaining. I had to stop myself from laughing on the train :D It sure is a childrens' book, so don't expect too much dephts etc but it's a light and funny read and I would recommend it.

Series: Skulduggery Pleasant 1

Mary Higgins Clark > Sieh dich nicht um (Pretend you don't see her)

517W50HGKWL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU03_AA115_.jpg41ENABKM0VL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU03_AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

Lacey Farrell, the heroine of Mary Higgins Clark's 15th novel, is having a bit of an identity crisis. While working as a real estate agent in New York, Lacey witnessed a client's murder, and now she's in hiding with a new name and a new life. But changing her identity doesn't completely remove Lacey from the web of danger and deceit that surrounds the crime; new clues keep popping up that suggest some kind of link between Lacey's family and the murder. Meanwhile, a new man comes into the heroine's life, further complicating an already murky situation. As any fan will tell you, Mary Higgins Clark never fails to deliver plot twists and turns that are as unexpected as they are thrilling

my thoughts

Another solid book from one of my most-read-authors.

Rating: 3/5

Derek Landy > Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant)

51oplbANT6L._AA115_.jpg516bHRJfizL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazaon

Twelve-year-old Stephanie Edgley inherits her uncle Gordon's estate and is promptly attacked on her first solo visit to the property. A mysterious skeleton-detective, Skulduggery Pleasant, comes to her rescue, explaining that he thinks Gordon was murdered and that she may be next. The two join forces and set off to solve the crime in a series of magical adventures that take them into a world filled with ancient evil creatures, including Nefarian Serpine, who seeks the Scepter of the Ancients and the infinite power it will bring him. Landy, whose previous writing credits include horror screenplays, keeps the action brisk, his characters slightly macabre, and uses humor to take the edge off the violence. The story line is intricate (with numerous plot twists and switches in allegiance), and although her actions seem better suited to a somewhat older girl, Stephanie is a well-developed main character. The level of violence may disturb younger readers, however. This is recommended for larger collections where demand for horror/fantasy is high.

my thoughts

I really enjoyed this book, as it's very funny and entertaining. I had to stop myself from laughing on the train :D It sure is a childrens' book, so don't expect too much dephts etc but it's a light and funny read and I would recommend it.

Series: Skulduggery Pleasant 1

I love all these books and have them all at home the series gets better and better, and a little darker which is a good thing but they still retain their funny side

Rachel Caine > Glass Houses

41yJV9FEo2L._SL160_AA160_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation, where the popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks in the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they come out fighting when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood...

my thoughts

I really liked this book and simply flew through the pages and couldn't put it down. The story is fast paces, there's always something happening that makes you go on reading. The main characters are just lovely (mmh Shane :wub: )and it's nice to have some bad vampires again :vamp:, especially after all these Twilighty books that are around (which I still love though :D ). I will definately stick with the series and will be ordering book number 2 today.

Series: Morganville Vampires 1

I bought my 14 year old the first couple in this series for Christmas. She read them in a day each , I bought her the next 3 and then she bought herself the rest of the series. She is a voracious reader, just like me when I was her age; she reads a few years beyond her age though and I have to keep an eye on what she is reading; I don't really believe in censorship but don't want her getting into novels that are too dark.

Derek Landy > Das Groteskerium kehrt zurück (Playing with fire)

41DzSYS8V9L._AA115_.jpg618hmfBUYDL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

synopsis from waterstones

Just when you think you've saved the world! "You will kill her?" the Torment asked. Skulduggery sagged. "Yes." He hesitated, then took his gun from his jacket. "I'm sorry, Valkyrie," he said softly. "Don't talk to me," Valkyrie said. "Just do what you have to do." Valkyrie parted her tunic, and Skulduggery pointed the gun at the vest beneath. "Please forgive me," Skulduggery said, then aimed the gun at the girl and pulled the trigger. With Serpine dead, the world is safe once more. At least, that's what Valkyrie and Skulduggery think, until the notorious Baron Vengeous makes a bloody escape from prison, and dead bodies and vampires start showing up all over Ireland. With Baron Vengeous after the deadly armour of Lord Vile, and pretty much everyone out to kill Valkyrie, the daring detective duo face their biggest challenge yet. But what if the greatest threat to Valkyrie is just a little closer to home!?

my thoughts

This was another good read, it seemed a little bit more violent though than the first book, which made me wonder about it being a childrens book. Nontheless, I find it (the series in general) to be a great story and it's something different to all the nice vampire stories and such.

Series: Skulduggery Pleasant 2

Jack Ketchum > Blutrot (Red)

41FreoXYRzL._AA115_.jpg516FeiweCVL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

Hints of class warfare and generational conflict add layers of interest to this otherwise formulaic tale of a heartless crime redressed in blood. The victim is Red, a harmless mutt whom a trio of shotgun-toting juvenile delinquents shoot for spite during an attempted robbery. The avenger is Red's owner, Avery Allan Ludlow, a crusty down-Mainer who can't understand the insensitivity of his dog's killers. Avery's efforts to extract a simple apology from the boys get support from the town sheriff, the district attorney and even a local television reporter, but fall apart for lack of evidence. A direct appeal to the father of two of the boys, nouveau riche real estate developer Michael McCormack, only earns Avery a burned-down store and tense confrontations with the family. When the hitherto peaceable man begins stalking the boys to intimidate them into a confession, the stage seems set for a hardboiled variation on the theme of von Kleist's classic tale, "Michael Kohlhaas." But the novel's roots are anchored in the crime potboiler tradition, and the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree. Though its characters talk about people not being what they seem, everyone but Avery proves transparently one-dimensional. The plot advances predictably, ominously hinting at but never elaborating dark deeds by the McCormack clan. Ketchum (The Lost) (a pseudonym for Dallas Mayr) succeeds in inspiring the reader with righteous rage at Avery's plight for the story's duration, but some readers may find the providential justice in the novel's appropriately violent finale to simply be the cap for a shaggy dog story.

my thoughts

This was a quick read, because of shortness and not because of very good entertainment. I don't seem to warm up with this author. It's the third book that I read by him and they were all kinda 'meh'. I kinda liked the ending though, which is a bit unsettling though (one shouldn't like the ending).

Rating: 2/5

Rachel Caine > The Dead Girls' Dance

51fTcog1ZdL._AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

Claire has her share of challenges. Like being a genius in a school that favours beauty over brains; homicidal girls in her dorm, and finding out that her college town is overrun with the living dead. On the up side, she has a new boyfriend with a vampire-hunting dad. But when a local fraternity throws the Dead Girls' Dance, hell is really going to break loose.

my thoughts

A really good book, the story and characters develop nicely. It's quite fast paced which made me get through it quickly and left me wanting for more.

Series: Morganville Vampires 2

• 1 month later...

Cassandra Clare > City of Bones

51jMKpewGVL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU03_AA115_.jpg518wx9ukAhL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU03_AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

Sixteen-year-old Clary Fray is an ordinary teenager, who likes hanging out in Brooklyn with her friends. But everything changes the night she witnesses a murder, committed by a group of teens armed with medieval weaponry. The murderous group are Shadowhunters, secret warriors dedicated to driving demons out of this dimension and back into their own. Drawn inexorably into a terrifying world, Clary slowly begins to learn the truth about her family - and the battle for the fate of the world.

my thoughts

A really nice YA fantasy novel, which is hard to put down. I will definately go on reading the series.

Series: Mortal Instrument 1

Karin Slaughter > Verstummt (Triptych)

51Op%2BFtLetL._SL160_AA160_.jpg514-8Va%2BoML._AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

When Atlanta police detective Michael Ormewood is called out to a murder scene at the notorious Grady Homes, he finds himself faced with one of the the most brutal killings of his career: Aleesha Monroe is found in the stairwell in a pool of her own blood, her body horribly mutilated. As a one-off killing it's shocking, but when it becomes clear that it's just the latest in a series of similar attacks, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation are called in, and Ormewood is forced into working with Special Agent Will Trent of the Criminal Apprehension Team - a man he instinctively dislikes. But then, only twenty-four hours later, the violence Ormewood sees around him every day explodes in his own back yard. And it seems the mystery behind Monroe's death is inextricably entangled with a past that refuses to stay buried ...

my thoughts

I really liked this book, an interesting plot which kept me in the dark for a very long time and surprised me quite well in the end.

Series: Will Trent 1

Edited by lopeanha

Rhiannon Lassiter > Böses Blut (Bad Blood)

51LwkON%2BZmL._AA115_.jpg51Vrggvm15L._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU02_AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

In an abandoned house in the Lake District, a cupboard door opens into a playroom. Buried in dust is a collection of children's books in which the names of characters have been savagely crossed out. Here three children played a make believe game, sacrificing their dreams and wishes to make what they believed come true. But the game was never finished and in the woods behind the house something waits, hungry for the only food it knows. Now a new family has come to the house. Soon they will discover themselves in the game. But they do not know the rules. And they are the pawns, not the players ...A story with the terror and suspense of The Blair Witch Project.

my thoughts

I did like the idea but it wasn't as well translated into the book as I would have liked it to be. First it takes quite some time until something happens and end is very rushed and not very well concluded.

Patricia Briggs > Moon Called

216jJzvnQyL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

'I didn't realize he was a werewolf at first. My nose isn't at its best when surrounded by axle grease and burnt oil ...' Mercedes Thompson runs a garage in the Tri-Cities. She's a mechanic, and a damn good one, who spends her spare time karate training and tinkering with a VW bus that happens to belong to a vampire. Her next-door neighbour is an alpha werewolf - literally, the leader of the pack. And Mercy herself is a shapeshifter, sister to coyotes. As such, she's tolerated by the 'wolves but definitely down the pecking order. As long as she keeps her eyes down and remembers her place, the pack will leave her in peace. Hardly a normal situation, but then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself...and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

my thoughts

I liked this book very much and read it almost in one sitting as I couldn't put down and I will definately read the rest of the series.

Series: Mery Thompson 1

That's a shame about Bad Blood it sounds so good when you read the synopsis :) My eldest DD is a big fan of Karin Slaughter but I haven't got round to reading any of her stuff myself yet.

Bad Blood is still a good read, I just think that there was so much more potential to the story. But well, it's a YA novel and I probably would have loved it, if a was younger.

I really like Karin Slaughters books, they're quite drastic at times though and therefor notso suited for readers with a weak stomach. I lend a few book to my oldest aunt and she was quite shocked that her little niece would read books like these :giggle:

Mark T. Sullivan > Panic (The purification ceremony)

41VQgjPPGzL._SL160_AA160_.jpg51KKRW2HBTL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

Whilst on a deer-hunting trip in the wild landscape of British Columbia, Diana Jackman and her party find themselves the prey of a diabolical killer. Trapped deep in the snow and completely cut off from the outside world, they set out in pursuit of the most dangerous animal they have ever hunted.

my thoughts

A really good idea, very gripping. I read this book in such a short time and just couldn't put it down. Then why only 3 out 5 in the rating? I'd say it's the bad translations fault as I read it in german, though I can't say if it would be the same writing I had problems with if I had read the book in english. Either way, a good idea with a few bumps along the way but still full of suspense.

The second book of the Mercy Thompson series arrived yesterday and I couldn't resist and ordered the third book right away aswell. I also ordered the fourth book of the Morganville Vampires series. Now I will have to rearrange my bookcase, as there's not enough room for them now alphabetically.