Lopeanha's MTBR and reading list 2010 & 2011

lopeanha

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just updated my MTBR-List on page one, as I treated myself to 4 new books on my birthday yesterday and got a 5th from bf as a present.

The new books are:

Alan Bradley > Mord ist kein Kinderspiel (The weed that strings the hangmans' bag)

Joy Fielding > Now you see her

Emma Donoghue > Room

Jeffery Deaver > Nachtschrei (The bodies left behind)

Colin Cotterill > Killed at the whim of a hat

:wub::D

Edited by lopeanha

The new books are:

Alan Bradley > Mord ist kein Kinderspiel (The weed that strings the hangmans' bag)

Joy Fielding > Now you see her

Emma Donoghue > Room

Jeffery Deaver > Nachtschrei (The bodies left behing)

Colin Cotterill > Killed at the whim of a hat

:wub::D

Now, my German's pretty basic, but even I can see they've been creative with those translations :lol:

Now, my German's pretty basic, but even I can see they've been creative with those translations :lol:

Yes they were :lol: they mostly are. Sometimes you can only shake your head and wonder about why they change most titles so much :doh:

Tom Rob Smith > Kind 44 (Child 44)

51sWy2x1zjL._AA115_.jpg51RKffEOQJL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU03_AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

With so many new books in the crime and thriller field vying for our attention, alert readers need all the help they can get. In the case of Tom Rob Smith's Child 44, the numerous glowing reviews were preceded by a lively word of mouth on the book. The latter can often be misleading, but not in this case -- this is a very exciting debut. It is set in the Soviet Union and in the year 1953; Stalin's reign of terror is at its height, and those who stand up against the might of the state vanish into the labour camps – or vanish altogether. With this background, it is an audacious move on Tom Rob Smith’s part to put his hero right at the heart of this hideous regime, as an officer in no less than the brutal Ministry State Security.

Leo Demidov is, basically, an instrument of the state -- by no means a villain, but one who tries to look not too closely into the repressive work he does. His superiors remind him that there is no crime in Soviet Union, and he is somehow able to maintain its fiction in his mind even as he tracks down and punishes the miscreants. The body of a young boy is found on railway tracks in Moscow, and Demidov is quickly informed that there is nothing to the case. He quickly realises that something unpleasant is being covered over here, but is forced to obey his orders. However, things begin to quickly unravel, and this ex-hero of state suddenly finds himself in disgrace, exiled with his wife Raisa to a town in the Ural Mountains. And things will get worse for him -- not only the murder of another child, but even the life and safety of his wife.

my thoughts

The book starts very grippping right away and the story kept me interested all the way, even though it's not very fast paced. It's also very interesting at the story is set at a cruel time that actually happened and not even so long ago.

Rating: 4/5

Edited by lopeanha

• 5 weeks later...

Emma Donoghue > Room

51FHAmfv-7L._AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

It's Jack's birthday, and he's excited about turning five. Jack lives with his Ma in Room, which has a locked door and a skylight, and measures 11 feet by 11 feet. He loves watching TV, and the cartoon characters he calls friends, but he knows that nothing he sees on screen is truly real - only him, Ma and the things in Room. Until the day Ma admits that there's a world outside . . . Told in Jack's voice, Room is the story of a mother and son whose love lets them survive the impossible.

my thoughts

This was a wonderful read, very moving. Everything that is so normal for Jack makes you ache for him as he just doesn't know it differently. The book is written from Jacks point of view and there for a bit childlike. As my english is not that good, I struggled a bit to understand everything at first. But I got into it soon enough and finished the book in a few days, beeing practicaly glued to it.

Rating: 4/5

Maggie Stiefvater > Shiver

51%2BVXbxbFqL._AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

my thoughts

What a great read this was! I totally loved it! A wonderful mood is set free by the writing style and even though I read the book in hot weather, I could lose myself in this winterly scenerie. I'm glad I already baught the second book in the series and preordered the third book right after I finished the first.

Rating: 5/5

Series: The wolves of Mercy Falls 1

Alex Garland > The Beach

41VUOrPDynL._AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

In our ever-shrinking world, where popular Western culture seems to have infected every nation on the planet, it is hard to find even a small niche of unspoiled land--forget searching for pristine islands or continents. This is the situation in Alex Garland's debut novel, The Beach. Human progress has reduced Eden to a secret little beach near Thailand. In the tradition of grand adventure novels, Richard, a rootless traveller rambling around Thailand on his way somewhere else, is given a hand-drawn map by a madman who calls himself Daffy Duck. He and two French travellers set out on a journey to find this paradise.

What makes this a truly satisfying novel is the number of levels on which it operates. On the surface it's a fast-paced adventure novel; at another level it explores why we search for these utopias, be they mysterious lost continents or small island communes. Garland weaves a gripping and thought-provoking narrative that suggests we are, in fact, such products of our Western culture that we cannot help but pollute and ultimately destroy the very sanctuary we seek.

my thoughts

Another great read, probably my favourite book this year, so far. As I already know and love the movie, I just had to finally read the book aswell. I totally loved loved it and couldn't stop reading once I started. The chapters are very short, only a few pages each, which keeps you thinking that you can read just one more chapter before you stop, and then again, just one more chapter ...

It's an amazing story of how people find their own little paradise and what they would all do to keep it.

Edited by lopeanha

Kelley Armstrong > Bitten

41EHf1-se4L._AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

Elena, heroine of Kelley Armstrong's impressive debut thriller Bitten, never planned that a casual sexual encounter would transform her into a werewolf. Neither did Clay, her lover and one of the leaders of the exclusive werewolf clique known as the Pack; women do not generally change or survive if they do. Elena's considerable reservations about her new life come to a head and she walks out on the Pack to return to something like normality, finding herself a boyfriend who turns a blind eye to her occasional disappearances in the middle of the night. She may have done with the infighting of werewolves, but they have not done with her; her former family call her back when they find themselves under threat from those they have excluded and dominated. Kelley Armstrong is very good on the sheer exhilaration of shape-changing, of running on four feet through forests, suburban greenery and urban back alleys; if there is a weakness here, it is that Elena's relationship with the taciturn, untrustworthy Clay is sometimes a little too conventionally romantic--but the dark poetry of the best of the book overcomes this entirely.

my thoughts

I found the story to be a bit slow and chewy at times, but still interesting and I will keep on reading the series.

Rating: 3/5

Series: Women of the Otherworld 1

Maggie Stiefvater > Shiver

51%2BVXbxbFqL._AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

my thoughts

What a great read this was! I totally loved it! A wonderful mood is set free by the writing style and even though I read the book in hot weather, I could lose myself in this winterly scenerie. I'm glad I already baught the second book in the series and preordered the third book right after I finished the first.

Series: The wolves of Mercy Falls 1

I'm really glad you liked this. I bought Linger as soon as it came out. I hope you enjoy it. Not much longer of a wait for Forever- it's being released next month here in the us.

We came back from London on Friday and we did quite some bookshopping. Who could resist Waterstone's 3 for 2 offers?? ;)

And this is what I got for myself:

Rachel Caine > Lord of Misrule

Rachel Caine > Carpe Corpus

Rachel Caine > Fade Out

Rachel Caine > Kiss of Death

Rachel Caine > Ghost Town

Rachel Caine > Bite Club

Suzanne Collins > The Hunger Games

Suzanne Collins > Catching Fire

Suzanne Collins > Mockingjay

Christos Tsiolkas > The Slap

Harlan Coben > Miracle Cure

Stephenie Meyer > The Host

Edited by lopeanha

My boyfriend surprised me with four new books :wub:

Chris D'Lacey > The fire within

Chris D'Lacey > Icefire

Gemma Malley > The Declaration

Gemma Malley > The Resistance

The first two books are ones that I've already read but wanted to have my own copies for quite a while now.

Edited by lopeanha

Hi Lopeanha, I noticed you had read the Mercy Thompson series I just finished the 6th on holiday, I also downloaded her other series Alpha and Omega books 1 &2 which feature the same world but with Mercy's adopted brother Charles also good, not as in depth as the Mercy ones but well worth a read.

Hey Pickle :) Yes, I started to read the Mercy Thompson series; I've read the first two books so far and the third is waiting on my shelf. I think it's a really great series and plan to buy and read the rest of them soon. I also have the Alpha & Omega books on my wishlist.

I'm currently reading 3 books.

Richard Castle > Heat Wave (can't really get the hang of it, which is quite sad because I love the show)

Bruce Coville > Jennifer Murdley's Toad (cute little book for reading on the train)

J. K. Rowling > Harry Potter and the goblet of fire (started yesterday, to read at home)

I also got two new books from my lovely bf :wub:

Rachel Vincent > My soul to take

Lewis Harris > A taste for red

Suzanne Collins > The Hunger Games & Catching Fire & Mockingjay

51cnXbLiZiL._AA115_.jpg51R3aBHAr7L._AA115_.jpg51J73q1BkzL._AA115_.jpg

synopsis from amazon

Book 1

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. But Katniss has been clse to death before—and survival, for her, is second nature. The Hunger Games is a searing novel set in a future with unsettling parallels to our present. Welcome to the deadliest reality TV show ever...

Book 2

After winning the brutal Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen returns to her district, hoping for a peaceful future. But Katniss starts to hear rumours of a deadly rebellion against the Capitol. A rebellion that she and Peeta have helped to create. As Katniss and Peeta are forced to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. Unless Katniss and Peeta can convince the world that they are still lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying... The terrifying sequel to The Hunger Games.

Book 3

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge... The thrilling final instalment of this ground-breaking trilogy promises to be one of the most talked-about books of the year.

my thoughts

I loved the whole trilogy and read the books in less than a week. I just couldn't stop reading, the plot is so interesting, exciting, sad, adventurous, you name it. Throughout the books you really feel with the characters, quite an emotional read. I just needed to keep on reading to find out what happens next. Amazing books which I recommend highly!

Series: The Hunger Games 1, 2, 3

Edited by lopeanha

• 3 weeks later...

Your BF is a keeper :wink: Hold on tight to him! :friends3: I can't wait to see what you think of The Slap by Tsiolkas, it was on my wishlist for so long and then I finally bought it for myself but have been too busy with life and other books to actually get to reading it. I hope it's good :)

I got a few new books this past week:

from lovely bf:

Carrie Ryan > The forest of hands and teeth

These are a mix of selfbought books and ones that I bought with birthday gift vouchers ( and I still have some left :D ):

Kelley Armstrong > Schattenstunde (The Summoning)

Maggie Stiefvater > Forever

Sara Grant > Neva (Dark Parties)

Jenny-Mai Nuyen > Rabenmond

Jenny-Mai Nuyen > Feenlicht

Patricia Briggs > Cry Wolf

Patricia Briggs > Hunting Ground

Your BF is a keeper :wink: Hold on tight to him! :friends3: I can't wait to see what you think of The Slap by Tsiolkas, it was on my wishlist for so long and then I finally bought it for myself but have been too busy with life and other books to actually get to reading it. I hope it's good :)

Hey Frankie, how are you? You're right, he's definately a keeper :wub: and the good thing is, he buys even more books for himself than I buy for myself and he likes to get one (or two, or three) for me too when he's out bookshopping :lol:

I got The Slap at Waterstone's because I've read about it on the forum and they had a sticker on it, that said if you spent over 20 pounds, you get this book for only 0,99. I just couldn't resist :blush: I might take me a while to start reading it, as it's not high up my priority list.

Edited by lopeanha

I've read 9 books in July (as yu can see on the fisrt page), give me a YAY for a very good mojo :lol:

YAY! :clapping:

I'm too scared to look at my number for July. I know it won't be pretty. :(