Lopeanha's MTBR and reading list 2010 & 2011

lopeanha

Catherine Jinks > Blutsbande (The reformed vampire support group)

Synopsis from amazon

The trouble with being a vampire is...You can't get a decent haircut. You live on guinea-pig blood. And even worse, most of the world's population wants to kill you for no good reason. Nina Harrison became a vampire in 1973, when she was fifteen. Since then, life's been one big drag - mostly because she spends all her time with a bunch of vampires, in a vampire therapy group. Then one of them gets staked by an anonymous vampire slayer, and things become even worse: while tracking down the culprit, Nina and her fellow vampires end up in the middle of an illegal werewolf-fighting racket, and find themselves the target of some genuine villains who'll stop at nothing to get their werewolf back.

My thoughts

I finished this book yesterday and I really enjoyed it, I simply flew through it. It' s a different take on all the vampire books that are out there at the moment, which is quite refreshing.

Rating: 4/5

I really enjoyed 'The Reformed Vampire Support Group' too lopeanha, I agree, a definite different take on the vampire genre, I hope there is more books to come with the group, oh hold on actually, there is another book ~

The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group but there is not a lot of information it, only that it was released (or supposed to be) in 2009.

:D

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group but there is not a lot of information it, only that it was released (or supposed to be) in 2009. :D

Oooh, that might be interesting. Amazon germany says: release date April 2011. ISBN 9780152066154

Just read this reading list and the reviews and I have now added The reformed Vampire Support Group and Carpe Demon to my Wishlist.

Thans for the great reviews!

I'm no good in writing reviews, but I'm glad you put those books on your list! I definately liked them and I still got 2 unread Kate Connor books on my shelf. YAY for series :D

Edited by lopeanha

Oooh, that might be interesting. Amazon germany says: release date April 2011. ISBN 9780152066154

Thank you! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Stieg Larsson > Verblendung (The girl with the dragon tattoo)

51F4NMAQNML._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU03_AA115_.jpg513s8KXZxqL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU03_AA115_.jpg

Synopsis from waterstones

Forty years ago, Harriet Vanger disappeared from a family gathering on the island owned and inhabited by the powerful Vanger clan. Her body was never found, yet her uncle is convinced it was murder - and that the killer is a member of his own tightly knit but dysfunctional family. He employs disgraced financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist and the tattooed, truculent computer hacker Lisbeth Salander to investigate. When the pair link Harriet's disappearance to a number of grotesque murders from forty years ago, they begin to unravel a dark and appalling family history. But the Vangers are a secretive clan, and Blomkvist and Salander are about to find out just how far they are prepared to go to protect themselves.

My thoughts

My boyfriend made me read the book and it's brilliant! I never really planned on reading this book and when I did, I was very surprised about how much I liked it. I jus couldn't put it aside and finished it within a few days. At first I wasn't so sure about it, because it starts as a business crime novel which I'm not interested in in general. Then it continues as a family saga and forms into a crime novel. Very interesting, very gripping, even though it seems like the main character isn't doing anything else than drinking coffee and eating sandwiches all the time...

Rating: 5/5

Series: Millenium 1

Stieg Larsson > Verdammnis (The girl who played with fire)

412O-vGos3L._AA115_.jpg41HlznzmbHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_SL135_OU03_.jpg

Millennium publisher Mikael Blomkvist has made his reputation exposing corrupt establishment figures. So when a young journalist approaches him with an investigation into sex trafficking, Blomkvist cannot resist waging war on the powerful men behind this lucrative industry. When the journalist and his girlfriend are found murdered in their apartment, Lisbeth Salander's fingerprints are found on the weapon left at the scene. Now hunted by the entire Swedish police force and officially branded a danger to society, she is forced to go undercover. But how can she prove her innocence? With her computer-hacking skills she is anything but the helpless victim.

My thoughts

Great book again, it reads so fluently and never gets boring, those many pages just fly away. This book stops with quite the cliffhanger and the story continues seamless in book three. It's amazing how the author keeps me glued to his books, even though there a long passages where nothing big happens.

Series: Millenium 2

Edited by lopeanha

Stieg Larsson > Vergebung (The girl who kicked the hornet's nest)

51Mu4RcYNlL._AA115_.jpg51lhQ6-DibL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Salander is plotting her revenge - against the man who tried to kill her, and against the government institutions that very nearly destroyed her life. But it is not going to be a straightforward campaign. After taking a bullet to the head, Salander is under close supervision in Intensive Care, and is set to face trial for three murders and one attempted murder on her eventual release. With the help of journalist Mikael Blomkvist and his researchers at Millennium magazine, Salander must not only prove her innocence, but identify and denounce the corrupt politicians that have allowed the vulnerable to become victims of abuse and violence. Once a victim herself, Salander is now ready to fight back.

My thoughts

The brilliance continues! I finished the book last friday at 1.15 am, just couldn't stop and go to sleep until I was finished. I highly recommend all three books, they are my surprise-superstars of the year!

In the end, maybe te last 150 pages or so, all the "bad people" get arrested and I just sat there reading and gloating. It was really great, when Lisbeths lawyer just tore the Psycologists story apart and everything else.

Series: Millenium 3

I started The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks a couple of days ago. As I love the movie, I'm quite sure that I'll also love the book. Right now I'm at page 50 something, so not very far into the story yet, but my reading mojo seems to be lacking a bit again after the Stieg Larsson overload last week (so many pages in so few days).

Stephen Gately > The tree of seasons

51xvdEZ0VeL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis from amazon

When Josh, Michael and Beth Lotts catch sight of some mysterious lights one summer’s evening, they are drawn into a dense forest near their home where no one dares ever go. What they find there is incredible. The Tree of Seasons is a doorway into another world. There are four kingdoms in this world, each forever stuck in spring, summer, autumn and winter and each with its own ruler. The tree and the world it conceals have existed for hundreds of years and have never been uncovered by anyone, until now. The Lotts find that peace has been shattered in this magical world. One ruler, who bears a remarkable resemblance to their aunt is intent on power at all costs. She causes destruction and suffering that threaten to tear worlds apart. Josh, Michael and Beth have arrived just in time to take part in the battle that the other three kingdoms have to fight in order to survive.

My thoughts

I bought this book only because I used to love Boyzone when I was younger and because the cover is really really pretty. I din't expect it to be well written and so I wasn't surprised when I found out that I was right about that. The idea of the story is quite nice and if I would actually be a child (and therefor wouldn't really pay attention to the writing style)I probably liked it better. I find the book wasn't well thought through, the story is jumpy and the different parts of it aren't really developed. It's like a chain of things is put together one after another without developing each part fully.

I started the book probably in June (I think it was June) and finished it today, just to be finished. I always picked it up, read a chapter or two and put it back to read something else first.

Rating: 2/5

Edited by lopeanha

Nicholas Sparks > The Notebook

51fxVrMA1qL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU03_AA115_.jpg

Synopsis from amazon

"Somewhere," muses Noah Calhoun, while sitting on his porch in the moonight, "there were people making love." Anyway, head elsewhere for Great Literature, but if you're in the market to get your heartstrings plucked, look no further. The Notebook, a Southern-fried story of love-lost-and-found-again, revolves around a single time-honored romantic dilemma: will beautiful Allison Nelson stay with Mr. Respectability (to whom she happens to be engaged), or will she hook up with Noah, the romantic rascal she left so many years ago? We're not telling, but you have two guesses and the first one doesn't count. Decades later, after Allison develops Alzheimer's, her beau uses "the notebook" to read her the story of the great love she's plumb forgot. The Notebook--film rights already sold, thank you very much--is a little glazed doughnut of a book: sticky- sweet, satisfying, not much nourishment. But who cares? Take an extra vitamin and indulge.

My thoughts

Well, I totally love the movie they made based on this book and I have to say, that the movie is way better than the book. That's something that very rarely happens imo. The story is really wonderful but I missed the memories (about that one summer) in the book, which are a big part in the movie. The book is mostly about Allie and Noah when they meet again after being seperated for a long time and in the movie there's more about the time when they first met, which I thought was more interesting. The book only glances at that summer, where I would have loved to read more about it.

Rating: 3/5 for the book (but 5/5 for the movie)

Stephen Gateley > The tree of seasons

51xvdEZ0VeL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis from amazon

Rating: 2/5

I never knew he wrote a book!!! It sounded like it had real potential and I would have been tempted to put it on my Wishlist but sounds like the writing would put me off :(

I love reading you reading list, I always get so many new books to put on my wishlist.

I am so glad you LOVE the millenium series. I have read one and two and have three ready for me. I bought it when it first came out, but I can't bring myself to read the thrid knowing that, thats the last one (even though there is half of a fourth one out there) I don't want the series to end.

I never knew he wrote a book!!! It sounded like it had real potential and I would have been tempted to put it on my Wishlist but sounds like the writing would put me off :(

I didn't know either, I saw it here on the forum in the Children's section and baught it right away. It's not a bad book alltogether and kids might really like it.

I love reading you reading list, I always get so many new books to put on my wishlist.

Hihi, that's great :D

I am so glad you LOVE the millenium series. I have read one and two and have three ready for me. I bought it when it first came out, but I can't bring myself to read the thrid knowing that, thats the last one (even though there is half of a fourth one out there) I don't want the series to end.

These books are really great but I wouldn't have read them if it wasn't for my bf. But once I started I couldn't stop. Especially after the second one, cause it stops with such a cliffhanger. I don't know how you can not start the third book. I'd go nuts, not knowing how the story's going on.

These books are really great but I wouldn't have read them if it wasn't for my bf. But once I started I couldn't stop. Especially after the second one, cause it stops with such a cliffhanger. I don't know how you can not start the third book. I'd go nuts, not knowing how the story's going on.

It;s hard, but it being a huuuge hardback helps actually, because I can't take it to work, or to the coffee shop without having to go to the chiropractor. :lol: So I vowed I would read it when I am able to have a couple of days when I can just sit in my chair with unlimited supply of coffee, no kids and read read read!

You'd really need a few spare hours to sir and read, it's just too good to keep stopping (when lunchbreak's over e.g.). To finish the third book I was reading seven hours straight, without stopping, from after work until one o'clock the next morning. I guess I started the book only the day before.

I've read the first 50 pages of Justin Cronin > The Passage yesterday online and now I really want to know how it goes on! As I put my book-buying-habit to a halt, I'll have to see if the public library has it...

Will I be able to resist buying the book??

Will I be able to resist buying the book??

Yes I will! I spent 4 hours at a huge bookshop on saturday with my bf. He bought maybe 10 books or so and I didn't buy anything. The bookshop didn't have what I thought would be worth stepping out of my "no more book buying promise". Nothing felt right or somehow worthy enough. I have this feeling quite often, that I want to buy the perfect book for the moment, not just any book. And if I can't find a book that "jumps" at me, I leave without buying anything, even though I have a huge list of books that I would like to have.

Kai Meyer > Arkadien erwacht

41TlQmbO0EL._AA115_.jpg

I finished this book yesterday evening, it's the first part of the newest YA fantasy series by my favourite german author. This book is about Rosa and Alessandro, the offspring of two feuding Mafia families who also share quite the secret. Both their families don't only belong to the italian Mafia but also to the so called Arcadian dynasties, families who change into animal form when highly emotional (anger, sorrow, love).

My thoughts

The story is a little bit slow but it get's more interesting in the end. The fantasy part isn't as big as in the authors other YA series, which I found a little irritating. I'm looking forward to the next book, which will be relased in the end of September, as I hope that the story will pick up and tell more about the Arcadian dynasties. I guess the reason why the first books is developing quite slowly, is that the author isn't sure yet, how many books the series will have.

Rating: 3/5

Series: Arcadia 1

Edited by lopeanha

The bookshop didn't have what I thought would be worth stepping out of my "no more book buying promise". Nothing felt right or somehow worthy enough. I have this feeling quite often, that I want to buy the perfect book for the moment, not just any book.

I'm a lot like that too. :)

It's good to see you around the forum more often. friends3.gif

Arthur Conan Doyle > Der Hund von Baskerville (The hound of the Baskervilles)

41JOlYoeYDL._AA115_.jpg51utyKU0zOL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU03_AA115_.jpg

Synopsis from amazon

The terrible spectacle of the beast, the fog of the moor, the discovery of a body: this classic horror story pits detective against dog. When Sir Charles Baskerville is found dead on the wild Devon moorland with the footprints of a giant hound nearby, the blame is placed on a family curse. It is left to Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson to solve the mystery of the legend of the phantom hound before Sir Charles' heir comes to an equally gruesome end. The hound of the Baskervilles gripped readers when it was first serialised and has continued to hold its place in the popular imagination.

My thoughts

This was my first Sherlock Holmes book and I quite liked it. The language and characters seemed a bit confused (the word doesn't realy fit, but I lack of another one)at times and I don't know if it's the writing style of the author or the language of the time the book was written in. Either way, it made the story funnier and I had to laugh aloud when

Mortimer talks about wanting Holmes skull for further studies

. The solution of what happened to Baskerville came surprisingly and I'd say I'll read the other Sherlock Holmes novels aswell.

Edited by lopeanha

Neil Gaiman > Coraline

41rAKdi8NjL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU03_AA115_.jpg

Synopsis from amazon

Shortly after moving into an old house with strange tenants above and below, Coraline discovers a big, carved, brown wooden door at the far corner of the drawing room. And it is locked. Curiosity runs riot in Coraline's mind and she unlocks the door to see what lies behind it. Disappointingly, it opens onto a brick wall. Days later, after exploring the rest of the house and garden, Coraline returns to the same mysterious door and opens it again. This time, however, there is a dark hallway in front of her. Stepping inside, the place beyond has an eerie familiarity about it. The carpet and wallpaper are the same as in her flat. The picture hanging on the wall is the same. Almost. Strangest of all, her mum and dad are there too. Only they have buttons for eyes and seem more possessive than normal. It's a twisted version of her world that is familiar, and yet sinister. And matters get even more surreal for Coraline when her "other" parents seem reluctant to let her leave.

My thoughts

I found the story rather odd, but in a good way and it reads nicely. I kinda would have liked the book to be a bit longer, as the story idea is really good. But being a children's book it's quite short and I finished it way to soon.

Edited by lopeanha

I visited a friend of mine on saturday(singstar woohoo) and finally took my 7 books of the Undead Series by Mary Janice Davidson home. I got them on ebay and had them sent to her while I was on vacation in early July. The books are used but in awesome condition, so now I'm very happy and started yesterday with the first book. I allready read the first book a few years ago, but as I couldn't remember much of it and want to read the rest of the sries, I decided to reread book no. 1.

Mary Janice Davidson > Weiblich, ledig, untot (Undead and unwed)

417GPeGCx9L._AA115_.jpg41O5hRcaO8L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Synopsis from amazon

First Betsy Taylor loses her job, then she's killed in a car accident. But what really bites is that she can't seem to stay dead. And now her new friends have the ridiculous idea that Betsy is the prophesied vampire queen, and they want her help in overthrowing the most obnoxious power-hungry vampire in five centuries.

My thoughts

At times the story unnecessarily over the top which I found quite annoying and I think therewould have been no loss in the storyline, if the author wouldn't have put certain things in.

For example the many times that it was mentioned what an enormously huge dick Eric Sinclair had :rolleyes:

Besides that, the book is really entertaining and I definately wanna know how Betsy is coming along with the whole Queen thing. All in all nothing spectacular but still a fun thing to pass the time.

Rating: 3/5

Series: Undead 1

Edited by lopeanha

I started this series a few months ago and have read through book 4. They are entertaining and the storyline is good, but I agree with what you said in the spoiler. Sometimes certian things are better (and sexier) if left to the imagination. One thing some authors seem to make is over detailing everything, it tends to turn some readers off, and MJD does seem to go overboard just a tad.

I think, it's just unnecessary to go over the top like this, she could have written it a bit less "in your face", if you know what I mean.

But hey, won't keep me from reading all the other books. I'm a total sucker (haha) for this genre, all the vampire/magic/fantasy books that are outthere right now, flodding the market. I love it :D