Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

Hi StephenKingMan, saw this book yesterday in Sainsburys and was tempted. I heard very good things about the film but heard it was pretty graphic! Is the book graphic on it's depictions of her life? Does the style of the writing put you off at all when reading it?

Hi mate, the book is actually very graphic and raw when it comes to describing the physical and sexual abuse of Clarice by her parents and it wont be for everyone's stomach! Also, i only found out about this book when watching the movie trailer, which was very interesting. I was surprised by how unlikeable the main character was in the first few chapters, all swearing and insulting everyone but as i read further i realise the motivation behind her actions and i hope to end up cheering her on.

The style of writing is occasionally off-putting but i guess it does add to the 'tortured teen diary' vibe.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wanting to see that movie! Did you know that the woman who plays Precious was nominated for an Oscar?

Yes, she is a 28yr old actress playing the role of the 16yr old Precious and she apparently puts in a top performance, her mother is also up for an Oscar.

The movie is on release in Europe already but sadly there is no sign of it at my local cinema i may have to travel to see it. Too many mainstream movies drown out the little-known gems.

The movie is on release in Europe already but sadly there is no sign of it at my local cinema i may have to travel to see it. Too many mainstream movies drown out the little-known gems.

Is the movie actually called 'Precious'? I heard a friend talking about a movie of that name but had never heard of it before.

Bought only my third book of the year today :ditto: "It's Only a Movie: Reel Life Adventures of a Film Obsessive" by Mark Kermode. Will definitely be my next read :lol:

Only 3? Bloody hell, that's great! Aren't you .. well .. em ... getting withdrawals or anything?? I think I've bought about 12 :lol:

Only 3? Bloody hell, that's great! Aren't you .. well .. em ... getting withdrawals or anything?? I think I've bought about 12 :lol:

:lol: Surprisingly not! I'm determined to read the books already on my shelves this year, plus I'm supposed to be trying to save money, and so far, I'm doing well. I've been getting my fix of new books from the library, and I think I've had about five books in a row from there where I've been the first borrower, so it's been like having my own copy of the book to read :ditto:

This was a special purchase though, and it was

Oooh, any good? I was tempted by this recently but unsure how original it would be.

It isn't massively original I didn't think - there were parts which reminded me of True Blood and Twilight. But certainly it was still a good read and there was a freshness about I thought. I'd say it is definately worth a read.

I've seen this book around and have been tempted to buy it. You'll have to let me know how you find it Lucybird :ditto:

I will. My sister left a note saying she read it and enjoyed it but that her OH gave up after 2 chapters (I won't give up that soon because I refuse to give up before 100 pages!)

Today All Together Dead and Definitely Dead arrived in the post for me, am planning on finishing Gone With the Wind first this time!

I completed The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon, today. I thought it was very entertaining.

I just finished Mark Haddon's A spot of bother. I had read Curious Incident a couple of years ago, and had been meaning to pick up this one ever since. I really enjoyed his work, pity that he has not yet written more adult books.

I just finished Mark Haddon's A spot of bother. I had read Curious Incident a couple of years ago, and had been meaning to pick up this one ever since. I really enjoyed his work, pity that he has not yet written more adult books.

I hardly remember A Curious Incident, but I read the Reader's Digest version of it....

But I remember liking it.

Well I went and bought 4 books today and took 4 out of the libarary as well.

I bought

Lovely Bones because so many people on here seem to think it's good

Grave Secret because i have read all the others

Prey: Rachel Vincent; for all those of you who have not come across her and like the paranormal werewolf stuff do recommend it very like Kelley Armstrong stuff on werewolves but its about a Pride of cats instead.

the 4th pure indulgence Historical romance Amanda Quick Affair.

Finished Shop Girl by Steve Martin last night. Enjoyed it! All I kept thinking throughout the whole book was "I can't believe Steve Martin, aka father of he bride and Parenthood, wrote THIS" hahah Its so raw and real, sexual and depressing...nothing I pictured coming from the mind of Mr. Martin lol

I got "How To Build a Dinosaur - Extinction Doesn't Have To Be Forever", the newest book by Jack Horner, a well known Paleontologist (if only for his work as technical advisor on the Jurassic Park movie).

You might be interested in 'The Molecule hunt how archaeologists are bringing the past back to life' by Martin Jones though not strictly speaking dinosaurs its a fascinating study of how dna and other stuff ( sorry very non scientific) can aid in determining the past a step away from the usual artefacts recovered on archaeological sites...anyway this is not a very good description but have a look its not a bad book.

Finished The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown and started and only have 150 pages of Breaking dawn to go, and I am relly enjoying it, I am finding it hard to put down. As for the lost sybol, I suppose all I can say is De ja vu. :ditto: I will at some point write a review.

Finished The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown and started and only have 150 pages of Breaking dawn to go, and I am relly enjoying it, I am finding it hard to put down. As for the lost sybol, I suppose all I can say is De ja vu. :ditto: I will at some point write a review.

I feel the exact same about The Lost Symbol. There is no denying Dan Brown has written some fantastic and thrilling books but conspiracy theories and hidden symbols are a limited subject and i fear his books will not stand the test of time and just fade away in a few years. The Lost Symbol had its exciting moments but in the end i was still left feeling very.....indifferent about the fate of the characters by the end. Brown is a brilliant author but it would be a shame to pigeonhole himself into one limited genre.

@ StephenKingman: I agree with you on many apsects of Brown's work, it is all the same, especially how Langdon, gets brought in to save the day, has a powerful, yet vunerable woman by his side :ditto: I think also with this book I found it all to be unbelieable, to far fetch, and well, just very samey. I am glad I read it, and on a good note, it was a real quick read. I just think I liked The Da Vinci code (The only one of his books I loved) because I was interested and read about the subject prior to reading the book.

Shame really as I am sure I would love some of the 'ideas' of Browns books.

You might be interested in 'The Molecule hunt how archaeologists are bringing the past back to life' by Martin Jones though not strictly speaking dinosaurs its a fascinating study of how dna and other stuff ( sorry very non scientific) can aid in determining the past a step away from the usual artefacts recovered on archaeological sites...anyway this is not a very good description but have a look its not a bad book.

That sounds awesome! I'm interested in all ancient life, human cultures, animals, the evolution of both, so that book sounds right up my street! Thank you :ditto: