Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

Wow that is so cool from whoever the sender is Cali, really beautiful of them :roll:

I read a couple of chapters of Treasure Island that i randomly picked up out of a box when this stupid mouse woke me up at 4am!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My prize copy of Tell Tale arrived today. Chuffed to ribbons. :roll:

As did mine! :)

I also had 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' arrive. It's a second hand copy, but you would not be able to tell that! My fragile reading mojo had better start to perk up soon.

Abby, that is wonderful!

Can you let me know what 'Carbon Diaries' is like I have been tempted by it, as I read recently that the author had turned down Johnny Depp tp play and produce it because he wanted to set it in the US.

Will do. I'll be writing a review in my reading blog when I've finished, so I'll drop you a note in a visitor message when it's there :)

I read Beyond Black a couple of years ago, and still remain in two minds as to whether I liked it. It was certainly different but it didn't make comfortable reading.

I read it for my reading group a couple of years ago, and I felt uncomfortable reading it too. Not my cup of tea at all, and it's put me off reading any more of her books :roll:

I FINALLY finished the Vampire Armand after 2 months and giving up a few times. The story was generally interesting and at times mesmerizing, but I found Rice's writing to be really long-winded in this book. It's easy to lose interest which is a shame.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't thoroughly enjoy The Vampire Armand, Nicola. :roll: It's one of my favourites.

I haven't been reading much fiction this week, although I do have Anne Rice's Angel Time waiting for me. I've been concentrating on reading through my Greek culture handbook for university- interesting stuff, though! :)

*grump* I was meant to try and win me three cheapish Unseen Library Discworld books today, and what happens?

- Moving Pictures: someone else nabs it for less than I was willing to pay because according to eBay my account wasn't linked to a PayPal account (lie), even though I had agreed with the seller I could pay by postal orer

- Witches Abroad: someone else nabbed it for pennies more than my highest bid

- Small Gods: which was the one I was less eager about, I won for way more than I was willing to pay because I imputted my highest bid wrong

I should leave eBay to other people, obviously :roll:.

I finished The Rules of Attraction it was ok but not amazing.

I started reading The Time Of My Life, the autobiography that Patrick Swayze wrote, with the help of his life, whilst fighting cancer. It's good so far but kinda bitter sweet :roll:

I just walked in the door so haven't read any Swan Thieves today, but I did stop at the library on the way home to see if they had any cheap books for sale in their little shop, and I picked up 'Dead and Unwed' by Mary Janice Davidson and 'Killjoy' by Julie Garwood. Both for only 50 cents a piece! :ditto:

I just finished Norwegian Wood tonight. I LOVED it!! I read the last 150 pages in one sitting and found myself on the verge of tears through most if it. Later on I'll be starting The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle...I don't want to risk my fragile reading mojo with anything other than Murakami. :ditto:

Well I had an early start to reading this morning and have finished Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby. A fairly easy read but also instantly forgettable. Not sure what to start next. Will have a think and then make a start on it later.

Hi again, hey we all make mistakes!

I am still reading Precious by Sapphire. Its a very gritty and grim story about a young obese girl abused by everyone and everything around her, from the education system to her own parents.

Its an interesting read but slightly hard to make out the words at times because the book is written half in the style of the diary of the main character, original spelling mistakes left in for affect!

Hi StephenKingMan, saw this book yesterday in Sainsburys and was tempted. I heard very good things about the film but heard it was pretty graphic! Is the book graphic on it's depictions of her life? Does the style of the writing put you off at all when reading it?