Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got Midnight's Children for my birthday :D

I've seen this book around and have been tempted to buy it. You'll have to let me know how you find it Lucybird :(

I FINALLY finished the Vampire Armand after 2 months and giving up a few times. The story was generally interesting and at times mesmerizing, but I found Rice's writing to be really long-winded in this book. It's easy to lose interest which is a shame.

I read a chapter of Bitten by Kelley Armstrong on my way into town today and I bought the first 2 books in the Vampire Diaries series on offer in HMV. I can't decide which I want to read first so I'm going to juggle the two which isn't the norm for a one-book-at-a-time soul like myself :roll:

Also, I have my beady eye on a book about Charles Brandon, the Duke Of Suffolk aka Henry VIIIs mate. It sounds really interesting but is around the

Got Midnight's Children for my birthday :D

I loved this when I read it years ago. If I remember correctly, it takes a few pages to get into the rhythm of it, but after that it's a really riveting read. I look forward to hearing what you think of it. :(

Managed to fit in a bit of reading before bed last night and got to page 163 of Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby. This leaves about 80 pages to read and will hopefully finish on Saturday at the latest. Have already started deliberating what to read next!

I finished A Touch Of Dead on Tuesday night, and I'm now reading The Carbon Diaries 2015 by Saci Lloyd, which has started very promisingly :roll:

Can you let me know what 'Carbon Diaries' is like I have been tempted by it, as I read recently that the author had turned down Johnny Depp tp play and produce it because he wanted to set it in the US.

We had them in our building yesterday but I managed to avoid buying anything! :roll:

I was very good too Cookie. I decided I had no room for any more books right now.:)

I am half way through 'Beyond Black' by Hilary Mantel :(

Weave, I'd be interested to know how you find this book. I haven't yet read a Hilary Mantel and I picked this up and had a quick look through at the library - but was in two minds whether I'd like it.

Weave, I'd be interested to know how you find this book. I haven't yet read a Hilary Mantel and I picked this up and had a quick look through at the library - but was in two minds whether I'd like it.

I read Beyond Black a couple of years ago, and still remain in two minds as to whether I liked it. It was certainly different but it didn't make comfortable reading.

I'm now the proud owner of:

Brom, The Child Thief (so purdy...!)

Laurie Sheck, A Monster's Notes (me *hearts* rough cut pages!)

Lisa Mantchev, Eyes Like Stars

Rafe Martin, Birdwing

I shall also be bidding on a couple of eBay books; I shall let you know what they are if I win them :roll:!

Nice, Giulia! And I take it they're all in great condition? I'm anxiously waiting for Sunday as I also want to bid on some ebay books. I missed out on a great bargain last weekend, and I was furious with myself. :roll:

Nice haul Giulia!

Yesterday at work I got back to my desk after a break to discover an annonomyous envelope with a 100.00 gift card to buy books. I don't have a clue who its from (though I suspect one of the managers because I haven't told many of my co-workers what happened). I'm still in shock and would love to know who gave it to me so that I could at least send a thank you.

I feel so guilty using it, especially not knowing who sent it so I believe I'll save it for a little bit and mull over options. I want to make my choices good ones.

Until then I will keep trying to finish Gone with the Wind. Got a little bit farther last night. :roll:

Edited by CaliLily

I do hope so Kylie. If they're not, I'll murder someone, quite possibly the sellers.

TBH my latest Amazon batch could have also been in better shape but I've had it up to here with returning books to them only to get gift vouchers with which to buy more books in the same state, so I've given up. They've kissed my custom goodbye, though.

Sorry to hear about your lack of eBay luck girls :roll: may you be more fortunate in pretty book acquisition in the (very near) future!