Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

I bought these today:

Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig

The Mephisto-club by Tess Gerritsen

Alastalon salissa by Volter Kilpi

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio

The first 3 novels I bought in this 3 books for 10e -sale, the last two I bought from a charityshop. I'm particularly pleased with Alastalon salissa, I've been trying to find that novel for many years now :D

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tentatively read a word or two from 'Harry, A History' by Melissa Anelli. So far so interesting. I wonder if it will perk up my AWOL reading mojo. Fingers crossed. :D

ETA Charm, maybe our mojos are on holiday together again!

You'll have to let us know how Rhett Butler's People is, frankie. It's one I'm interested in.

I will, it just might take some time before I get around to reading it what with all the books I already have to read :D

I have tentatively read a word or two from 'Harry, A History' by Melissa Anelli. So far so interesting. I wonder if it will perk up my AWOL reading mojo. Fingers crossed. ;)

You're probably right, your mojo always was a bad influence on mine! :D

Seriously, I hope 'Harry, A History' brings yours home quick smart! :D

I am about 100 pages into The Girl Next Door and it is a lovely easy read, want to get it finished by the weekend so I can read Water for Elephants

I have tentatively read a word or two from 'Harry, A History' by Melissa Anelli. So far so interesting. I wonder if it will perk up my AWOL reading mojo. Fingers crossed. :D

I take it that's written by Melissa who started up the Pottercast podcast? I used to love listen the that one and Mugglecast, and even spoke to Melissa over Skype once on one of the phone-in podcasts (although they were having tech problems so it never made it into the actual podcast :D)

Funnily enough, my mojo's gone for a Burton these last few weeks, but today I started listening to Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as I realised I'd only read it once, and can't actually remember much of what happens!

I have just finished Grave Secret because its been bugging me all day to finish it not having been able to before I went to work. Thouroughly enjoyed it, love Charlaine Harris's stuff. now need to get back on track with Sookie have no idea which book I am on, I know I read the one after the hotel and queen one not sure which is next, book shop for me this weekend and i was going to be so good :D

I finished The Five People You Meet in Heaven, such a lovely book,

but then I made the mistake of reading the extract from Tuesdays With Morrie at the end of it, and now I want that book! :D

but then I made the mistake of reading the extract from Tuesdays With Morrie at the end of it, and now I want that book! :D

I enjoyed both of them :D

I've been reading Yours, Faithfully by Sheila O'Flanagan. I'm enjoying it so far ;)

I enjoyed both of them :D

I've been reading Yours, Faithfully by Sheila O'Flanagan. I'm enjoying it so far ;)

I think I`m going to have to get Tuesdays with Morrie now, I liked what I read and as you enjoyed it ........ :D

I have just finished Grave Secret because its been bugging me all day to finish it not having been able to before I went to work. Thouroughly enjoyed it, love Charlaine Harris's stuff. now need to get back on track with Sookie have no idea which book I am on, I know I read the one after the hotel and queen one not sure which is next, book shop for me this weekend and i was going to be so good :D

The one you mentioned is number 7 if that helps (All Together Dead), it's the last one I read too

How good is that book? Or is it just me? I LOVED it

Go Rosie! :D

It was indeed pretty good. I loved Rosie too. :D

After a lot of dithering, I have decided to start on How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff. I'm only a few pages in and I'm not particularly enjoying the style of writing. I know it's from a teenager's point of view, but it's actually awkward to read sometimes because of bad grammar.

I've been still reading Kerouac's Lonesome traveler, just a few pages, though. Busy day! I also bumped into a book I didn't even remember I was in the middle of reading, it's an interesting book about the sociological aspect to rock'n'roll, essays by a bunch of people. Read a chapter of that one, too.

I've just finished The Virgin's Lover and loved it. I didn't realise that Elizabeth I had such a sad (romantically) story.

Not sure what to move onto next. I was thinking of starting Dracula but I think I need a break from vampires for a few weeks. The Silence of the Lambs is sat looking at me so maybe I'll give that a go.

Have you read For One More Day? That's another of his books and I really enjoyed that one too!

I'm reading Keeping the Dead by Tess Gerritsen and it's not as good as The Bone Garden so I'm struggling slightly!

Is that the first time you've read it? (I thought you have been recommending these books for months!).

Recommending it on the strength of the first book and a half. And on the extended recommendation of those who had recommended it to me. It's INCREDIBLE.

Bookjumper & Steve: Yes. Go forth and obtain. NOW. :lol:

I has a Gerald Tarrant in my avatar. I love him. So much. Wonderful character.

Have you read For One More Day? That's another of his books and I really enjoyed that one too!

I'm reading Keeping the Dead by Tess Gerritsen and it's not as good as The Bone Garden so I'm struggling slightly!

No I haven`t read it yet but it will be added to my "must get" list! I really like his style of writing. Thanks for the tip. :lol:

Sorry your struggling with Keeping The Dead, hope it picks up. :friends0:

I think I`m going to have to get Tuesdays with Morrie now, I liked what I read and as you enjoyed it ........ :lol:

Buy a box of tissues too :friends0:

I've just finished The Color Purple by Alice Walker, I haven't yet decided what to read next. I'm thinking The Code of the Woosters, High Fidelity, Gold or Peyton Place.

I can recommend High Fidelity, a very good read!

Recommending it on the strength of the first book and a half. And on the extended recommendation of those who had recommended it to me. It's INCREDIBLE.

I got the wrong end of the stick, I was of the impression it was a series you had read several times from the way you talked about it!

I got the wrong end of the stick, I was of the impression it was a series you had read several times from the way you talked about it!

Nope, in a lot of cases I did talk ONLY about the first book, because even as a stand-alone it's great, so maybe it was me talking about that one that gave you that impression.

ETA: Oh it's probably worth mentioning I knew a lot of spoilers about books 2 and 3, so I knew a lot of what would happen, and I knew those things were epic.

Edited by Nollaig

I can recommend High Fidelity, a very good read!

I've always been on the fence about Nick Hornby, I think I read Fever Pitch ages ago and didn't really enjoy it. Maybe because I'd seen the movie with Colin Firth and I guess I was expecting his pics to pop out of the book every couple of pages or so ;):friends0: But I'll certainly give High Fidelity a try, maybe later today.

Started Gold by Dan Rhodes last night in bed, I'm absolutely loving it :lol: