Rory Gilmore's Book List Challenge

AbielleRose

Thanks Chesil. I have indeed marked the Oprah books separately. I have the list ready to go so if you (and anyone else) would like to PM me your email address I'll happily send you a copy. It's in Excel format.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello there fellow Roryites! It's a new year, a new beginning, a new era *puts on Obama pants* It is a time for change! We must resurrect this Rory Gilmore Booklist thread and put on our 'Reading is Sexy' shirts. Can we do it? YES WE CAN!

Okay... enough of that. Who wants to start discussing a potential book from the list to read for February? :)

I'm happy to start the discussion off ... I haven't got a lot of books on my TBR pile from the Rory list, but I got a few for Christmas, but the one I'm going to try first is Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. It's a bit of a departure from our previous reads, as it's a collection of essays, but I've heard great things about his books from people I respect, so it's definitely one I'd like to try sooner rather than later.

Chesilbeach, I read Me Talk Pretty One Day last fall and I didn't personally think much of it, but I can see how some people might enjoy it. At least you have one good turd story to wait for :giggle:

Are there others who'd like to join in on a group reading of MTPOD? Or do you have something else in mind? I could wait till you guys have finished the book, it's kind of a quick read and I can read other stuff while I'm waiting :)

Edited by frankie

I can just read that one on my own then! Anyone read Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer? I read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Clear by him a few years ago and I've been meaning to read Everything Is Illuminated ever since - anyone fancy that?

I'm happy to go along with every one else if there's another book chosen, just thought I'd make a few suggestions.

I'll join you in Me Talk Pretty One Day, Chesilbeach. friends3.gif

I could also go with Everything is Illuminated. I'm intrigued by Foer and have been wanting to read something by him for a while.

Like you Frankie I read this some years ago and didn't think much of it at all. I think I'll wait for a different read to pop up. Happy reading everyone.

This is a bit off-topic, I hope you don't mind: Do you think you didn't like David Sedaris's style of writing or his stories, or is it that the kind of book of short autobiographic stories just doesn't appeal to you? MTPSD was one of those books on the list that I was really looking forward to read and I wanted to like it but I just didn't, for some reason. David Sedaris has been often compared to Augusten Burroughs, whose books I've read all except for one, and unlike the Sedaris one, I really loved the Burroughs ones. If you like, you could try him some time :) (Sorry, I'm always recommending Burroughs whenever there's a chance :blush:)

I can just read that one on my own then! Anyone read Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer? I read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Clear by him a few years ago and I've been meaning to read Everything Is Illuminated ever since - anyone fancy that?

I'm happy to go along with every one else if there's another book chosen, just thought I'd make a few suggestions.

I wouldn't mind going for Everything Is Illuminated, but unfortunately I don't have a copy of my own and the two library copies have been borrowed, and they're not even in English. I would much rather try and read it in English, and at the moment I can't be buying any more books :( But like I said before, if everyone else is up for this book, I'm happy to wait for the next group reading :)

This is a bit off-topic, I hope you don't mind: Do you think you didn't like David Sedaris's style of writing or his stories, or is it that the kind of book of short autobiographic stories just doesn't appeal to you? MTPSD was one of those books on the list that I was really looking forward to read and I wanted to like it but I just didn't, for some reason. David Sedaris has been often compared to Augusten Burroughs, whose books I've read all except for one, and unlike the Sedaris one, I really loved the Burroughs ones. If you like, you could try him some time :) (Sorry, I'm always recommending Burroughs whenever there's a chance :blush:)

I don't know what it was I didn't like about it - it was touted as a must read some years back so I read it and was like huh. I haven't read Burroughs but I will take a looksee at what he has to offer :)

Edited by page turner

Oh, I can only imagine what it was like to read the book after hearing so much hype about it :empathy: If you decide to try Burroughs I would recommend starting with Running with Scissors, or perhaps with Magical Thinking or Possible Side Effects. RwS has a more of a storyline to it and it's about Burroughs's childhood and teenage years, MT and PSE are stories in no chronological order, stories about this and that from here or there, just like the Sedaris book.

I'll join you in Me Talk Pretty One Day, Chesilbeach. friends3.gif

Sounds good - let me know when you're ready and we can make a start on it :)

I could also go with Everything is Illuminated. I'm intrigued by Foer and have been wanting to read something by him for a while.

I wouldn't mind going for Everything Is Illuminated, but unfortunately I don't have a copy of my own and the two library copies have been borrowed, and they're not even in English. I would much rather try and read it in English, and at the moment I can't be buying any more books :( But like I said before, if everyone else is up for this book, I'm happy to wait for the next group reading :)

I think we were going to go for a February read anyway, so maybe one of the library copies might be back by then, frankie?

Hello there fellow Roryites! It's a new year, a new beginning, a new era *puts on Obama pants* It is a time for change! We must resurrect this Rory Gilmore Booklist thread and put on our 'Reading is Sexy' shirts. Can we do it? YES WE CAN!

Okay... enough of that. Who wants to start discussing a potential book from the list to read for February? :)

Love the enthusiasm! I'm just starting the Sookie Stackhouse books, so you'll have to count me out for the February reading. I'll check back though to see what's up for March. =)

I just went on to Amazon to order Everything is Illuminated - and when I saw the binding realised that I already have it but had completely forgotten about it. So I don't even have to spend any money! :lol:

I just went on to Amazon to order Everything is Illuminated - and when I saw the binding realised that I already have it but had completely forgotten about it. So I don't even have to spend any money! :lol:

Nice one, Ooshie :D

Chesilbeach, I'd forgotten that it was a February read :blush: I'll try and get a copy of it from the library, but I'll have to see what the translation is going to be like.

Edited by frankie